Other Female Singers

OK, this is a stretch, Marie Osmond. Is anyone a Marie Osmond fan here? Not so much for her music with me, I did like Paper Roses back in 1973, but for just the amazingly beautiful woman she is! I saw her on some panel discussion show today, and was amazed at how well she has held up. What a beautiful woman! I love doe-eyed, brown-haired diminutive female singers!! Let's go back in time and appreciate this young beauty (yes, I understand that she was only around 15 at this time but I was all of 16!);

I am. Most of her music choices, single wise anyway, were remakes like her brother Donny was doing, and having great success with. Her duet albums with him were her best work. Her more adult sounding album, and breaking away from the family a bit, was This Is The Way That I Feel. The title track is my favorite recording she had done. It finally was released on cd in Europe. Her duet on Meet Me In Montana was also a really good record. All the time she spent in Las Vegas last decade, and I never got to see her perform. No one I know would want to spend that kind of money to go. She is indeed a very sweet lady, who’s been through a tough life, but survived because of her deep faith and huge family. She’s a co-host on The Talk now, on CBS M-F.

Marie's remake of The Poppy Family "Which Way You Goin' Billy" (from 1976 "New Season") is a good remake. Those Polydor 8 track tapes are really loud but remastered back then!!!

Etta James classic song "At Last" also done by Christina Aguliera, Cyndi Lauper & Canadian singer Serena Ryder.

My latest artist I'm really getting into recently is Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac. Been listening to "Dreams" on repeat for days now

It was only a few years ago I found out that Destiny’s Child had borrowed the opening guitar riff from Stevie’s “Edge of Seventeen” for their track “Bootylicious”. I couldn’t believe there was a whole other song behind that riff and was mesmerised by Stevie’s song. The song title came from a conversation she had with Tom Petty’s first wife, Jane, about the couple's first meeting. Jane said they met "at the age of seventeen", but her strong southern accent made it sound like "edge of seventeen". She liked the sound of the phrase so much that she told Jane she would write a song for it and give her credit for the inspiration.

Her vocal range has lowered in recent years as with many fine singers but when she performs the track live she uses her backing vocalists to take the high harmonies on the choruses while she goes for the lower. It sound really cool.

Last edited:
OK, this is a stretch, Marie Osmond. Is anyone a Marie Osmond fan here? Not so much for her music with me, I did like Paper Roses back in 1973, but for just the amazingly beautiful woman she is! I saw her on some panel discussion show today, and was amazed at how well she has held up. What a beautiful woman! I love doe-eyed, brown-haired diminutive female singers!! Let's go back in time and appreciate this young beauty (yes, I understand that she was only around 15 at this time but I was all of 16!);

There's No Stopping Your Heart" is one of my favorites.

My latest artist I'm really getting into recently is Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac. Been listening to "Dreams" on repeat for days now

Nice choice, Stevie's a phenomenal talent. In 1977 after the "Rumors" album came out, Dreams was literally worn-out being played on Album Rock oriented FM stations down in southern California where I grew up.

Have you heard Silver Springs? Love this song which she wrote and performed about her break-up with guitarist Lindsey Buckingham. So beautifully done;

Have you heard Silver Springs? Love this song which she wrote and performed about her break-up with guitarist Lindsey Buckingham. So beautifully done;

Here’s my favourite performance ever by Lindsay and Stevie and one of my favourite of all his compositions. Their onstage chemistry is still so evident, even though they’re standing apart for most of the song.

Last edited:
^^ WOW!! I have never seen this one before...You can cut the emotion with a knife! Lindsey seems like he is on the verge of tears. The audience is just spellbound. Great stuff!!

The album, 'Come a Little Closer', by Etta James, from 1974, on the Chess label, probably isn't considered one of her best, but I really like it. I really like 'Let's Burn Down the Corn Field', for starters, which I recently posted and, no, I'm not a pyromaniac.

Here's a track from the album called 'Feelin' Uneasy'.

Kelly Clarkson "Slow Dance" (from October of 2017 "Meaning Of Life") (audio only & album track) NOT The Carpenters or the Kristy McNichol 1978 remake.

I've just finished listening to all of Bobbie Gentry's studio albums in the "Girl From Chickasaw County" boxed set (just got the Live At The BBC comp left)

Wow what an underrated artist! The more I hear and read, the more I understand how ahead of her time she was. Here's a woman who grew up on a farm in Mississippi without electricity or plumbing, writing, publishing, playing, performing and producing her own music with such individuality in the 1960's. She was a born star also designing her own outfits, choreography and performances for her own TV show and on guest appearances. She released her final album in 1971 and spent the decade with her own successful Vegas shows which were again her own creation and apparently included a jacket with millions of dollars worth of diamonds sewn on which had to be brought into the venue just before the performance by armed security. Her disappearance from public and music which she has maintained for almost 40 years is equally interesting as her career. I've been left after those 7 albums and 75 bonus tracks wanting more!

Would highly recommend Bobbie Gentry!

The last 2 45 singles for Bobbie Gentry were "Another Place - Another Time"/"I Think I'll Cry Out Loud" (Brunswick) (1975) & "Steal Away"/"He Did Me Wrong But He Did It Right" (Warner Bros.) (1978) BUT that was it & nothing since.

Having listened to all of her recordings, it's difficult to place her into one genre. Her first two albums were very much deep Mississippi country. Her last two or three were more pop.

This is the only footage available of her in Vegas (that I can find) check it out, this is wild!

Having listened to all of her recordings, it's difficult to place her into one genre. Her first two albums were very much deep Mississippi country. Her last two or three were more pop.

This is the only footage available of her in Vegas (that I can find) check it out, this is wild!

Indeed. Her music is difficult to pin down to a specific genre - that's partly why it's so intriguing, although I suspect that it made her record company struggle to market her effectively after her first album.

Her last album Patchwork fell victim to record company changes/politics and kind of fell through the cracks as a result. She then couldn't agree terms with her label on future projects so didn't record any more until her contract expired. She did go on to record an album's worth of material on Warner Bros in the late 1970s - only a single was released at the time, but three more tracks randomly turned up on a compilation in the 1990s. This one is my favourite from those sessions - perhaps one day all the tracks from that time will see release:

Indeed. Her music is difficult to pin down to a specific genre - that's partly why it's so intriguing, although I suspect that it made her record company struggle to market her effectively after her first album.

Her last album Patchwork fell victim to record company changes/politics and kind of fell through the cracks as a result. She then couldn't agree terms with her label on future projects so didn't record any more until her contract expired. She did go on to record an album's worth of material on Warner Bros in the late 1970s - only a single was released at the time, but three more tracks randomly turned up on a compilation in the 1990s. This one is my favourite from those sessions - perhaps one day all the tracks from that time will see release:

Love it !

What a song! I can imagine KC singing this and the arrangement RC would have given it. Sultry.

Here are those other 3 songs from the Warner Bro sessions

Bobbie Gentry ‎~ He Did Me Wrong, But He Did It Right

Back
Top Bottom