Other Female Singers

'Day by Day' from Godspell, by Colleen Hewett, was a big hit in Australia that is burned in my memory from my youth, (1971, Number 2 or Number 1 - depending which chart you look at). A boys' choir features strongly in this version, towards the end.

Some silly antics and voice-overs in the video - then again, the original film also had some silly moments.

My favorite version of "Day By Day" is by Jackie & Roy on the CTi label from the early 70s. It starts out slow and gently. The about 2 minutes in, switches to a jazzy alternate-time-signature version, then just about fades out before it returns to the opening hymn-like arrangement.

Sally Oldfield - Mandala.

Mike’s sister really can sing, as well as write an interesting tune - and was maybe using the tubular bells and vibraphones before her little bro.....

Last edited:
Canadian singer Holly McNarland "Mystery Song" (from "Stuff" released in June 1997 in Canada & October 1997 in U.S.)

I never normally care for covers of the Carpenters, but I have to say I really like this. Its a cover of "Superstar" by another duo called "Tennis" who I've never heard of. Its like an 80's version. Very interesting take. The description of the youtube states the pair are influenced by Karen Carpenter. I need to give a listen to their other stuff.

I never normally care for covers of the Carpenters, but I have to say I really like this. Its a cover of "Superstar" by another duo called "Tennis" who I've never heard of. Its like an 80's version. Very interesting take. The description of the youtube states the pair are influenced by Karen Carpenter. I need to give a listen to their other stuff.

I had replied to this and then deleted it, as it wasn't accurate after I looked at this band in Wikipedia. This is actually a recent band (I had misunderstood and thought an 80's era band).

Not a bad cover. The sped up tempo is likely, as you suggest, an attempt to "modernize" the song. I find it interesting that they stuck with the Carpenters altered lyrics (no "sleep with" but rather "be with"). Whether keeping that lyrical change fits with this band's image, or whether they just wanted to pay closer homage to Karen and Richard by using their specific recorded lyrics, dunno.

FWIW, I think "Tennis" is not a good band name. Your mileage may vary.

Alaina Moore(of Tennis) is actually the daughter of some friends of ours. I had never heard this before...

The late Gayle McCormick "Superstar" (from her self - titled Dunhill ABC late 1971 album) (former lead singer of the group Smith) Remake of The Carpenters 1971 song. (audio only) NOT available on iTunes because I think that album was destroyed by the Universal Studios fire in June of 2008.

"A Group Called Smith" (1969) & "Minus-Plus" (1970) are still available on iTunes. Only Gayle McCormick 1975 45 Shady Brook single "Coming In, Out of The Rain" & the flip 45 side "Simon Said" is available on iTunes but that is it.

This should induce some interesting conversation. I just saw this for the first time today. From 1978.
Thanks much for this John - some really good stuff! Tennille seemed to be enjoying the duet with Ella as much as Karen did when she sang with her on the TV special - and why not, singing with a legend - I think both were not only very excited but deeply honored by the opportunity, as they should have been - Ella still had it at 60+ years old, everything that made her one of a rare kind and so great for so many years -Tennille was a strong vocalist, and as I discovered with a little research, studied piano in college and played electric piano with the Beach Boys on one of their tours and sang backup vocals on albums by Elton John and Pink Floyd - a very talented lady who earlier had even helped compose a musical that made it to Broadway. Personal note: only one other artist has a bigger place in my CD collection than Ella - Frank Sinatra. In fact, I've pieced together CDs of them alternating songs with my favorite being a 2 CD set of them singing the songs of Cole Porter. It never got any better than that...

Thanks much for this John - some really good stuff! Tennille seemed to be enjoying the duet with Ella as much as Karen did when she sang with her on the TV special

The difference here (and I’m sure that’s what was alluded to above in the original comment with the video) is that Toni Tennille is singing live alongside Ella - and sounds amazing. There is absolutely no reason Karen should not have sung live and the scene would have been all the better for it. There’s a very easy, natural chemistry between Toni and Ella, almost as if they were real pals. The costumes and stage set are also stunning in this clip; sheer class. The Carpenters equivalent looks a little plain in comparison.

The difference here (and I’m sure that’s what was alluded to above in the original comment with the video) is that Toni Tennille is singing live alongside Ella - and sounds amazing. There is absolutely no reason Karen should not have sung live and the scene would have been all the better for it. There’s a very easy, natural chemistry between Toni and Ella, almost as if they were real pals.
[Bold text above mine] I agree fully and emphatically! Absolutely no good reason (unless she was having some vocal cord issues or a respiratory infection at the time). If I had been Ella I would have insisted on it (but then I'm cantankerous that way, and Ella always seemed like a really nice, gentle lady). I never understood why they didn't sing live on their TV specials either...maybe the lack of wireless mic technology??? Yes, and that chemistry you mention is real and obvious - Toni was almost ecstatic and Ella was having a good time too. I could have listened to another 2-3 hours of that!

Personal note: only one other artist has a bigger place in my CD collection than Ella - Frank Sinatra.

Glad to see another member with love for Ella. Ella takes the top prize for CDs in my house; don't let anyone else on this forum know I have more of her music than the Carpenters.:shh:

Back
Top Bottom