Other Female Singers

Interesting that the Carpenters’ version completely omits the first verse. It made me wonder if the first verse maybe wasn’t complete or there was some sort of vocal flaw à la Do You Hear What I Hear, meaning the track had to be built to start from the second.

Not a female singer, but still another singer.

I had put off listening to the new album "Wonder" by Shawn Mendes on Spotify since it came out last Friday to wait for my vinyl to turn up. I did this with RPO when it first came out... I feel when a new album by a favourite of mine comes out it is best to experience it the way music use to be experienced... the anticipation, getting the physical copy in your hands, unwrapping and dropping the needle. Anyhow, I had to share how gorgeous this album is presented. I got CD, signed cover, clear vinyl w/ poster and a "Wonder" hoodie.

130733740_2882511145312484_6335862429666671252_n.jpg

130911386_2882511118645820_6931988452106996634_n.jpg

Really really love this album on first hear, he is one of the very few modern day artists I like. Here are some highlights for you:

Intro: (Who does intros anymore? love it!)

The lead single "Wonder"

My favourite album track so far:

I agree that Toni Tennille has always been underrated as a singer. In that category of underrated singers includes Helen Reddy and Karen Carpenter.
Interestingly enough, Toni's style has never clicked with me (likewise, Anne Murray), but there is no denying her talent.
Perhaps the Captain & Tennille Television series was instrumental in sealing her fate, much as the Carpenters' TV series did virtually nothing
for their career--in fact, I contend that most of those TV specials harmed Karen's chances of being taken seriously as a vocalist.
Also, had Karen not been ill for so many years previous to her Medley with Ella, then perhaps she would have performed "live,"
however, it can't be denied that Karen's illness took a toll on her from a physical and vocal standpoint.
It is hard to be 'perfect' when your health is failing.
Anne Murray has been in my collection of albums for many years. The first I bought was Love Song. I have all the A&M and the two Casablanca albums for Captain and Tennille. Toni's voice always sounded good. Her album of standards was excellent. The song More Than You Know got a lot of airplay in this market and that was why i bought it.
I will admit that I have more albums by female artists than men or groups but there are so many great talents that it is hard to choose who is the greatest.
Another that I truly liked but only have one album is Louise Tucker. She is a British opera singer and have a minor hit many years ago with "Midnight Blue" which was based on a Beethoven sonata and not a remake of Melissa Manchester's great hit.

Classy lady and great singer of the Standards, always with a jazzy edge - Nancy Wilson - one of my all time favs from way back when...

Classy lady and great singer of the Standards, always with a jazzy edge - Nancy Wilson - one of my all time favs from way back when...

I remember Nancy Wilson from my teenage years. Two songs I can recall hearing on the radio more than any other of hers were "In A Long White Room" and "Greatest Performance Of My Life."

Nancy Wilson was a staple of variety show TV back in the 60s. I recall her showing up on GARRY MOORE, DANNY KAYE, ED SULLIVAN, and many other of those types of shows. In fact, when I encounter written articles that mention "Nancy Wilson", I always think of her first, and then find out that the article was written about one of Heart's Wilson sisters.

Nancy Wilson "The Shadow Of Your Smile" (1966) which I heard her voice for the first time when my late mom had a Capitol various artists cassette tape in 1973 or 1974 which has 10 songs (not sure what title though).

Nancy Wilson was a staple of variety show TV back in the 60s. I recall her showing up on GARRY MOORE, DANNY KAYE, ED SULLIVAN, and many other of those types of shows. In fact, when I encounter written articles that mention "Nancy Wilson", I always think of her first, and then find out that the article was written about one of Heart's Wilson sisters.
Yes, and I probably saw many of those appearances, along with others on the Dean Martin & Andy Williams shows a little later, and the Bob Hope specials...

We have an AM station here in eastern Virginia that I often listen to and they play Nancy Wilson now and then. Another great jazz lady is Dinah Washington and they play her as well.

Trisha Yearwood:
Q: Name a song so beautiful, it makes you tear up.
TY: " I wish I had been given the chance to tell Karen Carpenter how her vocal on “The Christmas Song” inspired me as a singer.
It’s so conversational, and real. It gets me every time."

Here:

Another great lady of Jazz was Etta James. The first time I saw her I had seen her records in the stores was on Dancing With The Stars and she sang At Last. I hear it now and then on the same AM station. I had seen her records in the stores but never heard her until DWTS.

I found this recently & thought most of you here would enjoy this very nice cover, actually better than most - a makeshift band working via Zoom - the singer is a lady by the name of Chrisse Rhodes who has a sweet voice of her own totally different from Karen's, but still highly listenable - the arrangement is very faithful, including even the subtle but distinctive drumming...and note the lovely backup by the 3 girl singers...

I found this recently & thought most of you here would enjoy this very nice cover, actually better than most - a makeshift band working via Zoom - the singer is a lady by the name of Chrisse Rhodes who has a sweet voice of her own totally different from Karen's, but still highly listenable - the arrangement is very faithful, including even the subtle but distinctive drumming...and note the lovely backup by the 3 girl singers...

Wow this is REALLY good, I enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing!

Not bad at all. Thanks for posting!

The guy who put this all together is Mark Posey, the drummer - the lead singer's first name is Crissie, not Chrisse - at one point when she was competing on TV talent shows she said her profession was Wedding Singer - they are both Australian - not sure about the other "mates" playing on this...

There is another video on YT of a larger "Zoomed" group put together by Mark doing a cover of "A Little Help From My Friends"...Crissie has other videos there too, the best of which seems to be a Country style song called "Daddy's Little Girl"...

It would be a big mistake to remember Doris Day (if you remember her at all) solely as the star of a series of predictable Romantic Comedy movies in the 50s and 60s...or a later, regular TV show - this pretty and personable lady was a serious singer with a very sweet, highly listenable voice who had come out of the Big Band era of the 40s singing primarily with the Les Brown Band - here's a lovely ballad that I first heard in a much more uptempo version by the great vocal group The Four Freshman way back somewhere:

Two of my childhood 45s were "A Purple Cow" and "Que Sera, Sera" by Doris Day. As an adult I got to at least know a good friend of Doris Day's, one of the DJs at the radio station I worked at. A few times, I was in the studio as she and he talked on the air. One of my minor brushes with fame...

My wife and I were watching a movie last night and this great old standard started playing in the background, a song which I have always loved and thought to be one of the most literate examples of the art form known as the popular song - it's from 1944 and was composed by Frank Loesser and was featured in the movie "Christmas Holiday" - I went searching for renditions and found ones by Sarah Vaughn and Ella, and this great one by a lady named Leslie Uggams, who was very popular on TV in the 60s & 70s and even won a Tony award for a Broadway musical - hadn't heard her in a very long time but what a great voice!

Agnetha - pretty lady, lovely voice...never heard this - really nice. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom