Other Female Singers

Singer Ruelle "I Get To Love You" (music video from March of 2016) This song ranks with Ed Sheeran "Thinking Out Loud" (music video from late 2014) Her songs are only available on Apple iTunes though (singles & EP's).

It looks like Carpenters Legacy is going to perform in Thousand Oaks, Ca. in February 2023. I don’t know the venue or date. I was told they performed at the 50th Anniversary convention in 2019. I don’t care for her voice myself. It’s sounds country pop, and the phrasing is all wrong to my ears. I’m sure it will do well without me.

So sorry to read about Maureen McGovern. I love her voice. I have almost every record (song) she released. There might be a couple of individual songs that I don't have. But I have all the LPs and CDs. Did you know she released "I Won't Last A Day Without You" at the same time the Carpenters did. A reviewer in the Cleveland papers complained that her version was just as good, but the Carpenters got the air play because they were the established act. I can tell you that I like both versions. And I'm almost positive that Maureen's version includes the added bridge. I'll go back and listen to be sure. But I'm a little surprised by that because I read that it was added at Richard's request.

So sorry to read about Maureen McGovern. I love her voice. I have almost every record (song) she released. There might be a couple of individual songs that I don't have. But I have all the LPs and CDs. Did you know she released "I Won't Last A Day Without You" at the same time the Carpenters did. A reviewer in the Cleveland papers complained that her version was just as good, but the Carpenters got the air play because they were the established act. I can tell you that I like both versions. And I'm almost positive that Maureen's version includes the added bridge. I'll go back and listen to be sure. But I'm a little surprised by that because I read that it was added at Richard's request.
I remember her singing "The Morning After" from the film, The Poseidon Adventure. Just went to Youtube to give it a listen again. Still love it. I gave a listen to her cover of "I Won't Last A Day Without You." Her version sounds like the Paul Williams/Roger Nichols version which is also like the covers from Diana Ross and Barbra Streisand. All 3 covers have the bridge. My understanding (ref: Randy Schmidt's LGB) is that Karen requested Williams/Nichols write a bridge and a 3rd verse for it. But Williams wasn't happy, because Richard changed the melody and chord structure in the bridge without listening to the demo. Williams thinks his version is better. After listening to all covers and Carpenters, I can say 'nope'...... I prefer Richard's changes. The melody in the bridge and as sung by Karen always gives me a shiver! Can't explain it. Her voice does that to you. And Richard's arrangement is superior (my opinion).

But getting back to Maureen, I wish her all the best and hope, somewhere out there in the world, some smart researcher will have a breakthrough discovery in treatment therapies for Alzheimers/Dementia, sooner rather than later.

Specific to female voices, big Christine McVie fan, as well as Dusty Springfield and Adele (who reminds me very much of Dusty). Linda Ronstadt, especially the "Cry Like a Rainstorm" and "Simple Dreams" albums. "Ingenue" by kd lang. Pink is good, but I could do without the "Parental Advisory" language. Not a prude, but that stuff just seems to take the classiness out of the music.
It’s nice to see others hear Dusty in Adele!

She was among the best!

I’ve liked Maureen McGovern enormously since I was about nine years old. She had two Top 5 hits in my country - ‘The Morning After’ and ‘We May Never Love Like This Again’. She also had a couple of lesser hits - ‘Even Better Than I Know Myself’ and ‘A Love Until the End of Time’, (with Placido Domingo).

In the UK, she had a Top 20 with ‘The Continental’ and, I believe, ‘Can You Read My Mind’ went to Number One on one of the charts in Japan.

In the USA, ‘Different Worlds’ was a Top 20, along with the Number One, ‘The Morning After’.

She was more successful on singles charts around the world than a lot of people probably realise.

I have all her albums, except for ‘Works of Heart’. Favourite LPs
include ‘The Music Never Ends’, ‘A Long And Winding Road’, ‘You Raise Me Up’ and 1979’s ‘Maureen McGovern’ and I even have the rare CD, ‘Academy Awards Performance - And The Envelope, Please’.

I know that i’ll be enjoying Maureen McGovern’s music for a long time to come!

Hi, 3Favorites. Nice to read of another Maureen McGovern fan. (I’m sure there are a lot out there).

To clear up the timeline for ‘I Won’t Last a Day Without You’, in terms of dates of chart entries, at least, Carpenters’ ‘A Song for You’ album, including ‘I Won’t Last a Day Without You’, entered the US charts right at the beginning of July, 1972. Maureen McGovern’s version of ‘I Won’t Last a Day Without You’ entered the singles charts over a year later, in October, 1973, although the LP that it came from, ‘The Morning After’, had entered the US charts a few months earlier, at the end of July, 1973.

While Maureen McGovern’s single had hit the charts in October 1973, Carpenters’ single of ‘I Won’t Last a Day Without You’ didn’t reach the US charts until April, 1974, so, presumably, Maureen’s version had five months for airplay in its own right before Carpenters’ 45 hit the charts.

As it happened, Maureen’s chart run with the song had petered out by the end of November 1973 anyway, over four months before Carpenters’ single was released.

By the way, Carpenters released ‘I Won’t Last a Day Without You’ on single a couple of years earlier in the UK and it first reached the charts there as a double-sided hit with ‘Goodbye to Love’ in September, 1972.

I hope the info is useful. :)

Renee Fleming, ‘Merry Christmas, Darling’. She certainly has a pleasant voice, but I’m not 100% sure about the arrangement. I think it’s maybe a bit busy and detracts from the melody. However, still quite nice.

Former singer of Canadian group The Original Caste (who did the original "One Tin Soldier" in 1970), Dixie Lee Innes "Of The Original Caste" (full Bell Records 10 songs album from 1972) & also available on Apple iTunes which came out in June of 2022.

Former singer of Canadian group The Original Caste (who did the original "One Tin Soldier" in 1970), Dixie Lee Innes "Of The Original Caste" (full Bell Records 10 songs album from 1972) & also available on Apple iTunes which came out in June of 2022.

AM Matt, I remember that we had to learn and perform Original Caste’s ‘One Tin Soldier’ at an end-of-year concert in primary school, (grade school (?) ), about five years after it was released. Mind you, I liked the song and the message, so much so that I later bought a second-hand single of the song and also put it on a mix-tape of favourite songs of the early 70s.

I’m not aware of any other songs by The Original Caste or Dixie Lee Innes.

The Original Caste "Mr. Monday" was the follow up to "One Tin Soldier" but the follow up failed to hit the Hot 100 BUT it did well in Canada. The Original Caste does a remake of The Grass Roots 1969 song "Leaving It All Behind" (from the 1970 album formerly on TA, division of Bell Records).

"Ain't That Tellin' You People" went to # 117 (1 week) on October 3, 1970. That was their last swan song final in the U.S..

The Coven "One Tin Soldier" (Warner Bros. version) that went to # 26 (Hot 100) on November 27, 1971 & went to # 16 (Adult Contemporary)

Hi, 3Favorites. Nice to read of another Maureen McGovern fan. (I’m sure there are a lot out there).

To clear up the timeline for ‘I Won’t Last a Day Without You’, in terms of dates of chart entries, at least, Carpenters’ ‘A Song for You’ album, including ‘I Won’t Last a Day Without You’, entered the US charts right at the beginning of July, 1972. Maureen McGovern’s version of ‘I Won’t Last a Day Without You’ entered the singles charts over a year later, in October, 1973, although the LP that it came from, ‘The Morning After’, had entered the US charts a few months earlier, at the end of July, 1973.

While Maureen McGovern’s single had hit the charts in October 1973, Carpenters’ single of ‘I Won’t Last a Day Without You’ didn’t reach the US charts until April, 1974, so, presumably, Maureen’s version had five months for airplay in its own right before Carpenters’ 45 hit the charts.

As it happened, Maureen’s chart run with the song had petered out by the end of November 1973 anyway, over four months before Carpenters’ single was released.

By the way, Carpenters released ‘I Won’t Last a Day Without You’ on single a couple of years earlier in the UK and it first reached the charts there as a double-sided hit with ‘Goodbye to Love’ in September, 1972.

I hope the info is useful. :)
Barbra Streisand also recorded "I Won't Last a Day Without you" on her album ButterFly in 1974. She did not release it as a single but it did get airplay in this market. Strangely, I never heard the singles that were released.

I stumbled upon this song. I don’t know anything about the singer but she has a rich voice like Karen’s. I don’t know what she’s singing other than someone in the comments typed out the English translation. I can’t get the melody out of my head and I keep humming it. It has over 7 million views.

For me, a good example of how music is a universal language that transcends all nationalities.

I stumbled upon this song. I don’t know anything about the singer but she has a rich voice like Karen’s. I don’t know what she’s singing other than someone in the comments typed out the English translation. I can’t get the melody out of my head and I keep humming it. It has over 7 million views.

For me, a good example of how music is a universal language that transcends all nationalities.

Our friend @Shalom Bresticker might have some idea or information for us.

Back
Top Bottom