Other Female Singers

The Andrea Corr Christmas Album

My autographed copy arrived today. At first, I opened the cardboard mailer and saw only a shrink-wrapped CD. There was no autograph on the outer cover at all. How would she autograph a shrink-wrapped CD I pondered as I tore open the cellophane.

Nothing inside the gatefold. Nothing on the CD face. Ah, here it is! A special card insert held with the booklet, just like in the picture above!

Andrea Corr appeared on last nights BBC Cliff at Christmas. They sing a duet and starts around 19 min mark.

For Amy Grant fans. CBS Mornings interview (Dec 12, 2022) with Amy Grant - her first since a bad bike accident.

Amy Grant opens up about Kennedy Center Honors, recovery from bad bike accident​

Louise Tucker's Midnight Blue album is available on CD again. I picked up a copy off Amazon. It will be getting a lot of play in my travels.

I stumbled on the New Seekers late last year (mainly by accident after looking up The Seekers following the death of Judith Durham). I recently got a box set of their earlier albums. They did quite a variety of different styles (folk, pop, country and rock) and were apparently really popular at the time, yet they seem to have been sort of overlooked/forgotten these days. Here's Eve Graham (who seems to be the lead singer of the majority of their songs, along with the late Peter Doyle) singing at a New Seekers concert at the Albert Hall

I stumbled on the New Seekers late last year (mainly by accident after looking up The Seekers following the death of Judith Durham). I recently got a box set of their earlier albums. They did quite a variety of different styles (folk, pop, country and rock) and were apparently really popular at the time, yet they seem to have been sort of overlooked/forgotten these days. Here's Eve Graham (who seems to be the lead singer of the majority of their songs, along with the late Peter Doyle) singing at a New Seekers concert at the Albert Hall

In my area, The New Seekers did get a lot of airplay for several singles during 1970 to 1972. I did see their albums in the stores but they did go to the cutout bins fairly quickly. I think their versions of Melanie's "Beautiful People" and "Look What They've Done To My Song Ma" helped with the sales of Melanie's albums but even her albums went to the cutout bins rapidly.

This lady, Weyes Blood, is getting some huge Karen comparisons online right now - very nice mellow tone - though has more of a husky Rita Coolidge vibe to my ears ...

A friend who knows I am a Carpenters fan mentioned Weyes Blood to me today. He thinks she sounds a lot like Karen, and I agree that there are some similarities, especially in the intimacy of her singing style (but I also agree with you about Rita Coolidge):

Interestingly, Karen is cited as one of her influences:

A nice version of Superstar by Belinda Carlisle from BBC's Piano Room. The orchestra is especially beautiful on this one. Also some nice Carpenters style harmonies on the second verse by the backing singers.

Singer Amy Holland 1980 Capitol album finally out on Apple iTunes (all 10 songs including "How Do I Survive") (who is married to Doobie Brother Michael McDonald who also plays) (audio only)

Singer Amy Holland 1980 Capitol album finally out on Apple iTunes (all 10 songs including "How Do I Survive") (who is married to Doobie Brother Michael McDonald who also plays) (audio only)

I would have thought that she would have had a better career. The only other song I ever heard by her was a duet and I do not remember who it was.

Sheryl Crow (with the late Burt Bacharach) "Dancing With Your Shadow" (from the 2016 "A Boy Called Po" movie soundtrack) (music video but Sheryl is not in the music video)

Amy Holland's next 45 single "Here In The Light" (backing vocals by Michael McDonald & which reminds me of The Doobie Brothers "Open Your Eyes" from 1978 "Minute By Minute") did not charted in November of 1980.

Chris Christian (duet with Amy Holland) Medley: "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing" & "You're All I Need To Get By" (Remakes of the late Marvin Gaye & the late Tammi Terrell Motown 1968 songs)

Sheryl Crow (with the late Burt Bacharach) "Dancing With Your Shadow" (from the 2016 "A Boy Called Po" movie soundtrack) (music video but Sheryl is not in the music video)

Hmm, that Sheryl Crow song completely slipped my radar. I'll have to seek it out to download. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom