📣 News Our Listening Habits

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
As for wanting the same BN album over and over; that's not really true of us jazz purists (at least me and my LP friends)...it's more of simply a desire to create within the realm of those musical elements that underscore what came to be known as "jazz".
I'm thinking of a couple of groups I know, one of them a local audio club, where anything that isn't strictly within the classic Blue Note mold isn't worthy of being called jazz and they'll have nothing to do with it. It doesn't apply to everyone of course, but I notice that the same stuffiness happens in all musical styles.

I guess I'm too restless musically to let anything pass me by--if I like it, it's all good. 👍 I grew up listening to a few of the Verve albums, especially Tjader--my mother was a fan, and she also had purchased a few of the CTI albums on A&M as well as something like Deodato's Prelude. So I've long been familiar with the CTI sound and

I'm thinking of a couple of groups I know, one of them a local audio club, where anything that isn't strictly within the classic Blue Note mold isn't worthy of being called jazz and they'll have nothing to do with it. It doesn't apply to everyone of course, but I notice that the same stuffiness happens in all musical styles.
Agreed. What these folks don't realize is that what makes a certain period "golden" or "classic" or what have you is that art continued to evolve away from said point of interest. For instance, as much as many of us revere Miles' Kind Of Blue if music never evolved from that point -- and continued to harbour that same sound since 1959, then the LP would not be nearly as special sixty years on.

It's not that it is locked in time or even that it defines a time -- rather, it just "is".

Things change in all musical genres. In the classical realm--first Baroque, then Classical, then Romantic, then ImpressionIsm, then the 20th century modern era with Stravinsky. Whether jazz, classical, world music etc.--find a period you like and stay with it. If the music is good--it's good and worth hearing over and over and enjoying over and over again. Good music never sounds old. As Duke Ellington said--there are only two kinds of music: good and bad.

I'm not really locked into a period, but do find much of what is released in the past couple of decades not to my liking.

Not to say I don't like anything currently released though, as I have many favorites I follow.

But of the music I've been exploring, I'm finding so much from the mid 50s through the mid 80s (and even into the 90s based on many groups or artists I follow) that even if all new music quit being released, I'd still be overwhelmed with music to listen to.

I guess I don't understand the tunnelvision of those listeners who listen to only Blue Note-style hard bop, or Beatles/classic rock from mid 60s to early 70s...the same albums over and over ad nauseum, disliking anything else that doesn't fit their narrowly-defined vision of music.

I guess I don't understand the tunnelvision of those listeners who listen to only Blue Note-style hard bop, or Beatles/classic rock from mid 60s to early 70s...the same albums over and over ad nauseum, disliking anything else that doesn't fit their narrowly-defined vision of music.
I can understand some if it -- since I'm a borderline case: I've been absorbed that that 1955-7015-year period because "pop" and jazz underwent an immense transformation so there is a great deal of different kinds of sounds to explore. For instance, 1957 Miles is unlike 1962 Miles which is unlike 1969 Miles. The Beatles, like most quality '60s pop bands, similarly underwent significant album-to-album artistic growth...Aside from say 1925-1940, it would be hard to find another 15-year stretch with such fascinating musical variability.

I gave us a separate thread to go further off the beaten path. 😁

It's a good path.

In 7th grade round about 1975 or so, when a teacher went around the class and asked everyone to name their favourite "band", I said Antonio Carlos Jobim. (Needless to say, no one knew what I was talking about.) Even better, when a similar question was recently asked of my little boy (in 2nd grade) he said: "The TjB!". The teacher had to look up "TjB"...and all the more had never heard of Herb Alpert...but now she (and the class) know.

I enjoy a phase of music in its time (some more than others) and usually feel some sorrow when it either hits a dead end or slowly runs out of steam. But I’ve always been fairly eclectic. So far, this morning’s listening has been Carlos Santana’s BLUES FOR SALVADOR folllowed by Duke Ellington’s BLUES IN ORBIT, as I have my morning coffee and just play my Apple Music album library alphabetically.

Looks like Sergio’s BON TEMPO will be part of Sunday morning!

I've read that most people tend to prefer the music that they gravitated to when they were 14 or 15. That fits me to a tee, as I tend to love a lot of stuff from 1966-1967. Of course, I like other stuff too, but "home base", "comfort food" music is usually from that time period.

I've read that most people tend to prefer the music that they gravitated to when they were 14 or 15. That fits me to a tee, as I tend to love a lot of stuff from 1966-1967. Of course, I like other stuff too, but "home base", "comfort food" music is usually from that time period.
There was a theory when I programmed radio in the 1970s called “Peak Musical Awareness” (PMA) that said 16-22 was the age range where most people were most aware of and most engaged with whatever was then-current music to them. The second most aware and engaged bracket was 23-29.

The drop off after 30 was significant enough that the third most aware was age 9 to 15, then 30-36 and declining with every six year group from that point on, although after that, the engagement with current music was generally pretty low.

Reactions: lj
There was a theory when I programmed radio in the 1970s called “Peak Musical Awareness” (PMA) that said 16-22 was the age range where most people were most aware of and most engaged with whatever was then-current music to them
I could easily fit into that range too, as the late 60s/early 70s are the most familiar to me. But that particular year 1966 when I was 15 was a memorable one, not only in music, but TV shows too.

I could easily fit into that range too, as the late 60s/early 70s are the most familiar to me. But that particular year 1966 when I was 15 was a memorable one, not only in music, but TV shows too.
Oh, yeah—-absolutely it varies. I probably entered PMA at 13 and it lasted a lot longer than six years, but then I started working in music radio at 15.

My second level was probably 26-32. And I continued to listen to Top 40 until I was 43.

But, in generalities, the theory was for most people, it’s 16-22.

I never was into Top 40, but I also never fit into that "PMA" mold throughout my life. I'm constantly changing. I may stay in phases for two, three, or even five years at a time (with many phases running concurrently), but I'm always looking for new music to explore. I still like most of it, though--there are only a couple of things that I've put behind me, and they weren't all that great to begin with. There's music I've liked since my teenaged years, of course, but have found so many other things throughout life that there isn't any particular era I could be pinned to.

I guess I'm a program director's nightmare...probably because my music choices are anything but predictable, but also because I don't listen to radio anyway. 😁 (As you can guess, there isn't a station out there that plays what I listen to, for the most part.)

I never was into Top 40, but I also never fit into that "PMA" mold throughout my life. I'm constantly changing. I may stay in phases for two, three, or even five years at a time (with many phases running concurrently), but I'm always looking for new music to explore. I still like most of it, though--there are only a couple of things that I've put behind me, and they weren't all that great to begin with. There's music I've liked since my teenaged years, of course, but have found so many other things throughout life that there isn't any particular era I could be pinned to.

I guess I'm a program director's nightmare...probably because my music choices are anything but predictable, but also because I don't listen to radio anyway. 😁 (As you can guess, there isn't a station out there that plays what I listen to, for the most part.)
My joke is that I don't use Pandora anymore because after 20 minutes, it stopped playing music and started sobbing "what do you WANT from me?"

I'm a program director's nightmare too. Today I was working alone, so I listened to the new EP from David Paich (keyboard player from Toto), a couple old Hall and Oates albums, a couple of Ambrosia albums, a Supertramp album, and a new album by a group called Sunstorm. They have a Journey/Foreigner/Def Leppard vibe. I was going to try out the new album from Chicago (called "Born for this Moment") but I didn't get time.

Last time I worked alone I listened to Sergio Mendes most of the day. I got a few funny looks from people, especially when Primal Roots was on.

that particular year 1966
I'm about 13 years behind you, but '66 is my year, too. Of that coveted 1955-70 period, my sweet spot narrows to 1965-68 -- with '66/'67 the apex.

The 16-22 PMA period puts me in the 1980s -- but there's little pop from that period that I enjoy.

As for other listening habits, I generally find myself listening chronologically. I always want to experience the music (and the muse) as the artists created it. I'll select an artist and run through their catalogue chronologically. (I've been doing the chronological thing with all my "classical" music holdings for 1½ years now -- from Beethoven to William Schuman, approx. 1800 to 1960 -- and am currently round about 1910.)

Just on the digital side, Roon Player reports the following:

1663334770086.png

"All time" is from when I started using Roon. That doesn't count hours listening to my curated Pandora stations, music I listen to directly in the Qobuz app (often out in the garage if I don't need the randomness of Pandora), or all the vinyl I've played over the past few years.

Stats like those are only as accurate as the "genre" entries that are made. Mine would be all over the place with things like easy listening, pop, soft rock, latin, bossa nova, jazz - and that would all be for Herb or Sergio!

I've mostly not bothered to fix the genres to one type for one artist.

A lot of these artist in the stats are assigned multiple genres, and/or genres are assigned by album.

A lot of these artist in the stats are assigned multiple genres, and/or genres are assigned by album.
Right. It seems as though every album has its own genre category assigned somewhere. It's all changeable but I've just not bothered.

For example, In my Windows Media library, these two Mendes Best Of's are in two different genres. I didn't assign either - they just ripped that way.

Genres.jpg

Right. It seems as though every album has its own genre category assigned somewhere. It's all changeable but I've just not bothered.
I do clean up some of the metadata, but mostly for errors in song titles, performers, even composers if it bothers me enough.

But yeah, genre tags I really could do without. At least the system is flexible enough that the music can be in several genres at once, so it does help to a limited extent if the player is recommending related music.

The head unit in the car has a genre on the display, which is kind of pointless since it blocks the album title, which is way more important to me. This one is a needledrop, and I didn't assign a genre tag. I wish there was a way to hack into the Pioneer's firmware and change that...

IMG_20170419_165417.jpg

Back
Top Bottom