Over The Rainbow

Have to wait until Monday afternoon in the mailbox!!
My wife ordered this CD from Amazon Prime on Saturday evening, and it was actually delivered on Sunday! WOW! Less than 24 hours, AND ON A SUNDAY? Somebody cue up "Never On Sunday", because I never thought that would EVER happen!
It ain't all bad living in the 21st century.

I am still waiting for the physical copy but have listened to it on Tidal. I just love it. It's like a TJB album from today. Really great and original versions of well-known tunes and some great originals. I am very impressed by his playing too.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

I'd certainly rank Over The Rainbow above Music Vols. I and III. Herb's playing is excellent throughout, and I like most of the arrangements, although the album feels a little vocals-heavy for my tastes. (The auto-tune section absolutely ruins "Ain't No Sunshine" - I can't figure out why anyone would use that. To me, it's just a cheat for people who can't sing, or a gimmicky effect. Herb needs neither.)

I would love for him to record another album with just his band someday.

(The auto-tune section absolutely ruins "Ain't No Sunshine" - I can't figure out why anyone would use that. ...)
Agreed here. The only song I've heard it used as an "effect" on was Prince's "Chocolate Box" where he applied it to his voice. I get that he was going after that particular style--he certainly didn't need it there, but it was part of how he envisioned the track. But while I like most of the song, I agree it's just an uncomfortable robotic vocal sound that never has sat well with me, no matter who uses it.

The only type of vocals I like through a synthesizer are what Roger Troutman had done on the Zapp albums (and his Roger solo records). But I think that was called a vocoder...? (Basically, the synthesizer's output is sent to a speaker whose output is forced into a plastic tube; the tube goes in your mouth, and you mouth along to the words with a microphone.)

I also would like to have an album that has a "band playing sound" or "feeling" to it. Yes, the kind of sound or feel that the old TJB albums had. But, I'm sure that such a thing would be too reminiscent of the Tijuana Brass, and that kind of "retro" movement probably isn't going to happen.

Just a band playing - no re-mixing or other sound creating "technology" - just some musicians playing their instruments.

The "live band" thing was the live albums Herb did with Lani. But I'm sure if another good idea comes along for his next album and it involves having all live instruments, he would pursue it. I guess we should be fortunate that in recent years, he has had so many new albums released. We had a couple of Herb Droughts over the years!

I guess we should be fortunate that in recent years, he has had so many new albums released. We had a couple of Herb Droughts over the years!
Indeed I remember those droughts over the years it left some of us wondering if he decided to quit performing and recording all together but thank fully those fears were put to rest sadly most people i knew couldn't understand why I followed Herb's music so much over the years but Oh well.

The vocal section on "Ain't No Sunshine" didn't do much for me either, but I played it for some of my young music students that are well aware of my big interest in Herb, and their response was that they thought it sounded really good and "hip" "especially the vocals..."

- greetings from the north -
Martin

The CD runs 41:06. The song "South Of The Border" only runs 1:29!! The remakes of "Fantasy" & "Always On My Mind" are my favorites!! I thought that Herb would sing the whole song of "You Are So Beautiful" though.

I'd certainly rank Over The Rainbow above Music Vols. I and III. Herb's playing is excellent throughout, and I like most of the arrangements, although the album feels a little vocals-heavy for my tastes. (The auto-tune section absolutely ruins "Ain't No Sunshine" - I can't figure out why anyone would use that. To me, it's just a cheat for people who can't sing, or a gimmicky effect. Herb needs neither.)

Over The Rainbow has it's moments, but there's no way I'd rank it over Music Volume 1. That album was stellar.
I agree that the new album is a bit vocal-heavy, and the auto-tune/vocoder thing is a bit trendy, and unnecessary.

I was away from home when OVER THE RAINBOW was released. Having ordered it from Amazon months ago, I was a bit sad that our vacation happened to be at the same time as release day. But I had a neighbor look out for the package and it arrived safe and sound.

While away, I read some of this thread and had some down-time and decided to investigate. I thought I'd go in and listen to it through the Amazon Autorip program, but for some reason, it wasn't listed. I contacted Amazon and they were happy to provide me with an Autorip of the album, which I then listened to on my laptop.

Without the full artwork, it just wasn't the same as listening to a new album the way I usually do. So I found the whole experience a bit underwhelming, and I wondered why Amazon had to be prodded.

The CD came a bit squished in the bubble-bag, and I've had to try to straighten out the cardboard into a more squared shape. It's a battle I've had with all of the new Herb Alpert Presents discs.

I'm not sure I have a favorite track yet. I've only heard it through once, and then a couple of selections after that.

I just bought the CD today at Barnes and Noble, and this CD is sort of a mixed bag for me. Like I said before, I really liked "Ain't No Sunshine", but the songs are a bit too short, and also Herb has relied a bit too much on synths, programming and whatnot, that I would like to see him make the music that he made in the early 2010s: music mixed with some of these elements, but more musicians playing real music. On the credits, I saw the album was done mostly with the producer of his last two albums: Jochem Van Der Saag doing most of everything with Herb and Lani's combo(Cantos, Jiffrey, and Shapiro) filling in for good measure. I see that Herb has retained Eddie Del Barrio for orchestration, and also had his old engineer from the A&M days, Bernie Grundman on this release.

I wish that Herb would also do more original material, but as of late(in fact throughout his whole career) he's been doing a lot of covers of other artists' material. I also like his version of "Fantasy" as well as "Copacabana", and I also found it interesting that he did covers of two songs associated with former A&M artist Billy Preston: "You Are So Beautiful", and "With You I'm Born Again". Hopefully, Herb will do an album of all original material, and also I would like to see Herb do a...DUETS album! Him playing with Wynton Marsalis, Chris Botti, Wallace Roney,Chuck Mangione, Rick Braun, Terrence Blanchard, Arturo Sandoval, Marcus Printup, etc. Wouldn't that be a great idea, folks? I think it could work!

Anyway, it's an ok CD, but if I listen to it more and more, it will grow on me eventually. Take care friends!
Jazzdre

Well he did do a couple of duets albums with Hugh Masekela, both of which were good. And you could consider his albums with Lani duets too, sorta. But yeah, I'm not really big into the duets concept generally.

I made a compilation playlist of my favorite tracks from his more recent output, and that compilation is pretty outstanding. I need to add a few tracks from Over the Rainbow when I get a chance.

I wish he'd do one more "pop" album. That's where his real strength lies. I don't know if that's just my musical taste talking - it probably is. Jazz is fine, but to me it doesn't have much discipline to it... a lot of it just sounds like random noodling, which is a great talent, but it doesn't make for "hooks." Herb has acknowledged, the 'hook' is what grabs people on a song and makes you want to hear it again.

I wish he'd do one more "pop" album. That's where his real strength lies. I don't know if that's just my musical taste talking - it probably is. Jazz is fine, but to me it doesn't have much discipline to it... a lot of it just sounds like random noodling, which is a great talent, but it doesn't make for "hooks." Herb has acknowledged, the 'hook' is what grabs people on a song and makes you want to hear it again.

Yes, I agree, and me, too.

I have always been a fan of instrumental pop. Pop music is just that - popular music. It is light, fun, highly listenable, and there is usually a very recognizable, memorable melody that lends itself to humming or singing along. It sticks in your mind - that is the "hook".

I miss much of the instrumental pop from the 1960s.

Here are a few of my favorites on this album:

With You I'm Born Again: This is some very sweet trumpet playing from a master. Beautiful arrangement and great execution. It took a few listening sessions to realize what a gem this is.

Skinny Dip: Good energy. I always enjoy the addition of steel drums.

Ain't No Sunshine and Always On My Mind: Both of these have some nice trumpet harmony.

Fantasy: This is a very entertaining piece. Brilliant idea to adapt this one.

What A Wonderful World: This has many positive things -- A variety of cool instruments, and a good message. Memories of Louis Armstrong always make me smile.

Copacabana -- Lani is always impressive with her voice and ability to sing rapidly in other languages.

Back
Top Bottom