Over The Rainbow

It’s a bad cover. Looks like high school graphics and a picture of him photoshopped on it. On our Messages does not necessarily need to have his picture on it in my opinion. A Trumpet would perfectly do fine.

I like the man’s music tremendously but the last few albums I’ve been so heavy with that annoying artificial beat that I can say I am really jumping up and down about this potential release, though as a completist I will get it. What’s worse: I live about a half hour away from Morristown NJ where he will be performing later this week and I have had no interest in going.

I really wish she would do a true live recording again because when he does that he sounds really good. And it would be nice if he would get back to composing more even if it means working with people to do so rather than the rehashing of R&B and other tracks and he’s already done several times already.

I meant to say that "on every album it doesn't necessary to be have his picture; that a trumpet would do just fine".

I was using an iPad earlier...

Just a few albums without Herb's picture on the cover. I would argue that HUMAN NATURE doesn't have his picture per se, but does have a representation of Herb in a statue-type form.

I believe the TJB Volume 2 album didn't have his picture at all, right? I'm pretty sure the albums pictured above don't have his photo anywhere....right? Are there any others like that?

I can think of two; My Abstract Heart and Coney Island come to mind. Also, Herb's image was high-contrast printed on the sweatshirt pinned below the Beethoven figure on Herb Alpert's Ninth.

As far as the cover art for Over The Rainbow is concerned, it might be a little dull and drab for some tastes, but it is kinda in vogue nowadays...ever been to the men's department lately? The T shirts are colorful, most of the time, but the sport shirts and slacks are rather monotone...reminding me of what was in vogue in the early-to-mid '50's. Seems like those hipster dudes wear a lot of brown and grey...maybe it's just me, I dunno.

Herb has always been cutting-edge on just about everything. He knows how to sell himself. For an LP cover, the image would be kinda dull. For a CD, a little less so. But for an iTunes avatar, it's just about perfect.

Agreed, Dan--about the only place I see album cover art for digital releases is in the Roon player I use on my tablet, phone or computer. I don't even think much of cover art anymore--I see it more as like an "avatar" that I mentally attach to the music, so it's easier to scan through in a list.

What’s worse: I live about a half hour away from Morristown NJ where he will be performing later this week and I have had no interest in going.
I think it's with the "jazz combo" lineup, so it wouldn't have drum machines in the lineup. And it's also a rare chance to see Herb and the gang--he hasn't been in our area in 10 years and I doubt there will be a return, so I'm glad I saw basically the same lineup back then.

It's one thing if it's "electric" music (bands/artists like Yazoo, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Prince, etc.), but I associate drum/rhythm machines with $mooth jazz which I dislike with a passion, and it's hard to shake that.

I think it's with the "jazz combo" lineup, so it wouldn't have drum machines in the lineup. And it's also a rare chance to see Herb and the gang--he hasn't been in our area in 10 years and I doubt there will be a return, so I'm glad I saw basically the same lineup back then.

It's one thing if it's "electric" music (bands/artists like Yazoo, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Prince, etc.), but I associate drum/rhythm machines with $mooth jazz which I dislike with a passion, and it's hard to shake that.
I did not go. As it was, I wound up in Philadelphia that evening to see a professional colleague. The last tine I saw Mr Alpert was at Lincoln Center. Sat at a table literally in front of him. Im really, really good withnpreserving that memory (and always hoped a video would surface). Would only override that if the Cafe Carlyle was in play but cannot afford that.

I wonder if he has ever thought of attending any of the jazz festivals. We have a big one over the Labor Day weekend (Stanley Clarke is the artist-in-residence this year, and unfortunately I'll probably have to miss his "fusion" gig on Friday evening). I'll likely be there doing photography for one of the bands but beyond that, I don't know what else is happening. Pat Metheny is also doing two gigs again--he's doing a reprise of the duo with Ron Carter since they had such a great time a few years ago, and also with his band of younger musicians.

Herb's not using any drum machinery in his current shows, except when they play "Puttin' On The Ritz," they play (and Lani sings) to the backing rhythm track, but from what I could tell, the band is still live.

So if you've been disappointed in Herb having 'too much programming' in his recent albums, the live show will be a great way to experience his music these days.

It’s a bad cover. Looks like high school graphics and a picture of him photoshopped on it. On our Messages does not necessarily need to have his picture on it in my opinion. A Trumpet would perfectly do fine.

I like the man’s music tremendously but the last few albums I’ve been so heavy with that annoying artificial beat that I can say I am really jumping up and down about this potential release, though as a completist I will get it. What’s worse: I live about a half hour away from Morristown NJ where he will be performing later this week and I have had no interest in going.

I really wish she would do a true live recording again because when he does that he sounds really good. And it would be nice if he would get back to composing more even if it means working with people to do so rather than the rehashing of R&B and other tracks and he’s already done several times already.

I just received a notice from Amazon that Over The rainbow is delayed until the 24th. Maybe the extra days will allow time to revise the cover art.

Last edited:
Overall the cover art on albums means little to me--I can think of countless records of mine where I dislike the cover art but the music inside is good.

That's a cool video. Normally I don't listen to the advance singles, I wait for the full album but since we will be on a cruse the day the album comes out, I decided to check this one out. It sounds less mechanical than some of his recent uptempo offerings and is quite nice.

That semi-muted trumpet sound that comes in at about 0:15.... that was the way he played almost the entire show we saw in Seattle a few months ago. He didn't take the mute out until the encore. (That was one of the very few things that disappointed me about that show, and it was a minor disappointment. I just prefer the full-throated trumpet sound.)

Received my copy today and now listening. Still not crazy about the cover but the inside fold out design and pictures are nice.

Biggest news is that this is the first cd delivery of a new album by Mr Alpert that wasn’t significantly bent from aggressive shrink wrapping. It was, in fact, perfect.

Will comment on music more later in another post but generally not crazy about all of the covers relative to new music. And it still seems to have a drum programming sound to it. (Arrrrgh!) The trumpeter, however, sounds good.

I ordered this album back in July from Amazon, and I'm not even due to ship until next week. I don't know why that is. Just lucky I guess.

Received my copy today and now listening. Still not crazy about the cover but the inside fold out design and pictures are nice.

Biggest news is that this is the first cd delivery of a new album by Mr Alpert that wasn’t significantly bent from aggressive shrink wrapping. It was, in fact, perfect.

Will comment on music more later in another post but generally not crazy about all of the covers relative to new music. And it still seems to have a drum programming sound to it. (Arrrrgh!) The trumpeter, however, sounds good.
Here’s a review I caught, accurate IMHO: SPILL ALBUM REVIEW: HERB ALPERT - OVER THE RAINBOW | The Spill Magazine

I ordered my CD Friday and it's on the way according to Amazon and mine comes with a free Mp3 download auto rip and I listened to it most of day yesterday and this is much more like his regular group recordings and I'm totally satisfied with what I heard

Back
Top Bottom