PAUL WILLIAMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpenters

I HAVE JUST FOUND OUT THAT PAUL WILLIAMS (KNOW FOR THE FAMOUS SONGS 'WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN, RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS ETC) STARED IN SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT IN 1977. DOSE ANYONE ELSE KNOW THAT?. I ALSO FOUND OUT THIS:

Diminutive musical prodigy Paul Williams worked as an apprentice jockey, professional skydiver and insurance salesman before turning to acting. Williams' size and puckish countenance enabled him to play adolescents well into his twenties; one of the best of his early film roles was the surly teenaged genius in The Loved One (1965). Though he kept a hand in acting throughout the 1970s, he was better known for his songwriter accomplishments. Working with such collaborators as Biff Rose, Roger Nichols and Charles Fox, he turned out such enduring song hits as The Carpenters' "We've Only Just Begun," Helen Reddy's "You and Me Against the World," Three Dog Night's "Old Fashioned Love Song" and Dionne Warwick's "That's What Friends Are For." In films, Williams was Oscar nominated for his musical contributions to 1974's Phantom of the Paradise (in which he also starred), 1975's Bugsy Malone and 1979's The Muppet Movie. In 1976, Williams and collaborator Barbra Streisand won an Academy Award for the hit tune "Evergreen," the highlight of the Streisand remake of A Star is Born. As mentioned, Williams was never too busy to accept an occasional acting role. He played Little Enos in the first two Smokey and the Bandit movies, camped it up as Dr. Miguelito Loveless Jr. in the 1979 TV movie The Wild Wild West Returns, and could be heard as the voice of the Penguin in TV's Batman: The Animated Series (1992). Paul Williams was also a popular guest on talk shows, quiz programs and variety series. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

SIMON
CARPENTERS

You can also find him "ape-ing" in the fifth of the Planet Of The Apes movies, Battle For The Planet Of The Apes, where he's one of the intelligent orangutans.

Harry
...monkeying around, online...

Until I got more into reading album credits, I actually knew Paul Williams as a "TV Guy" who happened to play music. (I think I'd seen him a few times on something like the Mike Douglas, in the afternoons, and a few other talk shows regularly.) Didn't realize he was such a good and prolific songwriter until I started digging more into songwriting credits.

-= N =-

I sometimes wonder if Paul Williams would have had the acclaim deserved from his music if the Carpenters were not his vehicle.

Craig

I'm not really up on Williams' career, but did any of his own hits come before, or after, he got "recognized" by Carpenters?

He was lucky to have the big break (as was Roger Nichols) when "We've Only Just Begun" was recorded. How many other good songwriters out there have never had this kind of success or recognition? A lot of musical successes are just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

-= N =-

Let's see...he wrote the theme from THE LOVE BOAT, which was a hit for Jack Jones; and didn't he write EVERGREEN for Barbra Streisand? They both were post-Carpenters, but they weere big...

Dan

John Bettis, who we all know was originally/exclusively with Richard, really got quite a boost in his song-writing career. Post Karen, he wrote some song, I think, for Madonna and another for Whitney Houston. In fact, didn't he write "One Moment in Time?" Could that song have been Karen's? So why does John Bettis continue to have "hit" songs recorded by big-name singers of the day, but Richard doesn't seem to get a break? Doesn't seem fair to me.

Bettis has written some huge, well-known hits. BUT, the difference I think is that he's teamed up with other music composers who had a contemporary sound going, which helped. Last I heard, he's still in Nashville.

-= N =-

With the exception of a few, I think Richard's music in the 80's could have been sung by the Jets, not artists that shaped the decade. They are pleasant, but not earthmoving.

I feel he should orchestrate for movies and tv. His skills in orchestration are excellent.

John always had good lyrics, and I think that is why I enjoy Carpenters/Bettis songs most of all from their career.

Craig

Personally, I think his best lyrics were the ones on Michel Colombier's Wings album, especially on the songs that Bill Medley sang.

Capt. Bacardi

Geographer said:
John Bettis, who we all know was originally/exclusively with Richard, really got quite a boost in his song-writing career. Post Karen, he wrote some song, I think, for Madonna and another for Whitney Houston. In fact, didn't he write "One Moment in Time?" Could that song have been Karen's? So why does John Bettis continue to have "hit" songs recorded by big-name singers of the day, but Richard doesn't seem to get a break? Doesn't seem fair to me.

Richard has always been selective about Songwriting Partners , given the loss of Karen , Richard's long periods between completing Solo and Vocal projects and concerntration on Family for 10 years , John Bettis eager to work has teamed up with other Composers / Songwriters and these have landed up with major Artists like Madonna , Whitney Houston , Diana Ross, Michael Jackson etc.

Interesting to hear the many new original songs on Richard's next Solo Album with some Guest Vocalists and future Production projects :)

Richard did mention in 1998 Interview that both He and John should write theme songs / compose scores for Fils and previously mentioned Stage Musicals and TV Films -Richard should do all and probably will soon as several Films / TV offers have been turned down.

Watch this space for the next few years...... :) :)

Peter

I just ran Bettis through the ASCAP database--he has 198 (!) songs listed to his credit there! The big hit I was thinking of was "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson--quite an accomplishment to land a song on the best-selling album of all time. It was co-written with Steve Porcaro (of Toto, and brother of the late drummer Jeff Porcaro).

It appears he's also written themes and/or cues for some films.

It's interesting to click on all of the songs titles, as you can see who has performed his songs. I found some jazz entries (Everett Harp, Kirk Whalum), country (the forgettable Billy Ray Cyrus, one of the Mandrells), Christopher Cross (real name Christopher Geppert), Celine Dion, Steve Perry (Journey's former lead singer), Dionne Warwick...even an entry for "Disney California Adventure" (which appears to be background music for something called "Esplanade" at Disneyland).

To find this, go to http://www.ascap.com and access the ACE database. Under Find: enter 'John Bettis; under In: select "writers".

-= N =-

Regarding John Bettis, Rudy wrote:

>...even an entry for "Disney California Adventure"
>(which appears to be background music for something
>called "Esplanade" at Disneyland).

Actually, the song written by John Bettis at Disneyland is "Just One Dream," which is used as part of an attraction in Disney's California Adventure. The attraction is a movie about the history of California (called "Golden Dreams"), and the song is played at the end while the movie shows pictures of famous Californians -- Karen and Richard are shown in this section of the movie!

I'm guessing John Bettis wrote the lyrics to that song, although I don't actually know...

David

Interesting. I've not been to California Adventure yet, but I'm willing to bet that there's an album out there with the song on it. Disney loves to release these theme park soundtrack CDs. In fact, I have one from Disney World in Florida with the music from their nighttime spectacular called Fantasmic -- and its Executive Producer is former Carpenters bandmember Doug Strawn.

And we all know the "Mr. Guder" story.

Harry

You have to look quick to see Karen and Richard in the movie at California Adventure. It's toward the end of the movie. When you see the Beach Boys and some crashing surf, look up! Can't miss 'em. It is a clip and posssible out-take from Music Music Music and it lasts but a few seconds. But no mistaking those two. Actually, if you think of it, it is natural that they are featured. Their specials were on ABC and so Disney has access to all those wonderful TV specials.

In 1986 or 1987 I saw Richard and perform at Disney World's Epcot. It was great! I had no idea the conductor was Doug Strawn until they announced the credits at the end. He had put on quite a bit of weight, aged, and I sure as heck would have never guessed it was him. Richard looked good. Mary, Agnes, and Harold were in the audience and I got a chance to chat with them after the show. It was pretty cool.

The song "Just One Dream" from the "Golden Dreams" attraction at Disney's California Adventure is indeed available on CD. It's on a CD of music from Disney's California Adventure that came out last year and is still available at the park.

Don't you love the "Fantasmic" CD, Harry? I had never noticed that Doug Strawn was the executive producer -- now I want to go through my 20+ Disneyland/Walt Disney World CDs to look for familiar names...

David (who is wishing he were at Disneyland right now)

If you have it, you'll also find Doug Strawn listed on the 1997 Candlelight Processional from Epcot album -- the one with narration by Louis Gossett, Jr. Doug's again listed as Executive Producer for Walt Disney Entertainment.

See what Doug's up to these days at: http://www.flatheadlakemusiccamp.org/HSchoralStaff.htm

davidgra said:
Don't you love the "Fantasmic" CD, Harry?

A truly wonderful show that can only be experienced live, and the CD is great to have as a rememberence of the show. For anyone who hasn't yet gotten there, DO make an effort if you're ever in the Orlando Area. It's performed nightly at the Disney-MGM Studios as soon as the sun sets and the park is effectively closed. This one area was built just for this show -- a giant amphitheatre surrounding a lagoon with a mountainous island on the other side. The show takes place on that island and around the lagoon with music, lasers, sound effects and pyrotechnics. It's all included in the day's admission, but is so popular that most people arrive for it at least an hour-and-a-half ahead of time. Latecomers are given limited standing room or are turned away EVERY NIGHT.

I believe the original show is still performed on selected nights in Disneyland California in the Magic Kingdom. There is no amphitheatre there, so it's done around Tom Sawyer's Island with guests staking out a spot on the ground around that lagoon hours before as well.

Getting this thread back to where it started, Paul Williams, as an actor, can also be seen in an episode of STAR TREK: VOYAGER. He played one of the 'aliens-of-the-week' in an episode about a society that had never heard music before and were fascinated by the holo-doc's singing.

Harry
...going from Disney World to Disneyland, back to A&M, and into the Delta Quadrant in one post, online...

Hi. :)

If you'd like more information on Paul Williams you could check out my fan site at:

http://www.intothenight.net

You'll find lots of links to more Paul Williams stuff on the internet on my Paul Williams links page.

You can listen to some of his music....

You can leave a message in the guestbook.

Come on over.

Everyone's welcome

Just make yourselves to home

Bye for now.

Diana
(aka "Cosmic Tribe")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom