Paulinho da Costa, former member of Brasil 77, collaborated with Madonna?

kevin_pincay

I left the shuffle player activated in youtube and after a few hours, Maddona's "La Isla Bonita" appeared, I'm not a fan of hers but I noticed that someone I knew appeared in the video, it was Paulinho da Costa, a former member of Brasil 77.

Sorry, I sent the previous message incomplete and I don't know how to delete it...

I left the shuffle player activated in youtube and after a few hours, Maddona's "La Isla Bonita" appeared, I'm not a fan of hers but I noticed that someone I knew appeared in the video, it was Paulinho da Costa, a former member of Brasil 77.

That leads me to wonder, what other collaborations have the former members of Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66, Brasil 77, Brasil 88 had with other recognized artists?

How was it that Paulinho da Costa collaborated with the artist of the moment in those times?

Paulinho at 34:34 with Brasil 77:

Paulinho at 2:00 with Madonna:

Paulinho da Costa has appeared on thousands of recordings over the years in just about all popular genres (jazz, pop, rock, blues, soul, funk, R&B, Brazilian, country, alternative, etc.), and is one of the most popular session musicians of all time. I couldn't even begin to count the number of recordings I have that he has performed on. Just scrolling through Roon Player, he's been on albums by Lee Ritenour, George Benson, Earl Klugh, The Crusaders, Rod Stewart, George Duke, The Pointer Sisters, Earth Wind & Fire, Michael Jackson (including Thriller), Teena Marie, David Sanborn, Luther Vandross, Yellowjackets, Larry Carlton, Jeff Lorber, Lionel Richie, Elton John, Nazareth, Little Feat, Christopher Cross, Talking Heads, Journey, Wang Chung, Air Supply, Kenny Rogers, Lalo Schifrin, Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, 10,000 Maniacs, Chet Atkins, Deniece Williams, Barbra Streisand, Aretha Franklin, Kenny Loggins, Dionne Warwick, Joe Sample, B.B. King, Chicago, Cinderella, Johnny Mathis, Miles Davis, Herb Alpert, Indigo Girls, Peter Allen, Quincy Jones, The Temptations, Donna Summer, Manhattan Transfer, Tori Amos, Red Hot Chili Peppers...and several hundred others he's appeared on that I don't have the sanity to list, including many popular film soundtracks.

I'd say he kept busy. 😁 So busy, in fact, that he only has a few albums recorded under his own name.

I know that Sebastiao Neto has appeared on other Brazilian artists' recordings over the years (one of Sergio's earliest band members, in fact), and I believe Dom Um Romao was previously working as Jobim drummer in the mid 60s. Claudio Slon also recorded with others, including some of Walter Wanderley's albums in the 60s. I don't follow Sergio beyond the A&M recordings to know who was in his bands. Most of them probably have done session work, with anything in the music industry, to band members it is just a job to them. Once they're done in one group, they move onto another and/or continue their ongoing session work.

For any session musician, even those who might headline their own albums, it takes a mixture of session work on recordings, appearing in live gigs as a side musician, touring with their own group, selling their own recordings, songwriting for themselves and others, tutoring privately, and teaching at universities to make a living.

A sort of "family tree" with Sergio as the main topic would be kind of cool for someone to put together.

Paulinho da Costa has appeared on thousands of recordings over the years in just about all popular genres (jazz, pop, rock, blues, soul, funk, R&B, Brazilian, country, alternative, etc.), and is one of the most popular session musicians of all time. I couldn't even begin to count the number of recordings I have that he has performed on. Just scrolling through Roon Player, he's been on albums by Lee Ritenour, George Benson, Earl Klugh, The Crusaders, Rod Stewart, George Duke, The Pointer Sisters, Earth Wind & Fire, Michael Jackson (including Thriller), Teena Marie, David Sanborn, Luther Vandross, Yellowjackets, Larry Carlton, Jeff Lorber, Lionel Richie, Elton John, Nazareth, Little Feat, Christopher Cross, Talking Heads, Journey, Wang Chung, Air Supply, Kenny Rogers, Lalo Schifrin, Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, 10,000 Maniacs, Chet Atkins, Deniece Williams, Barbra Streisand, Aretha Franklin, Kenny Loggins, Dionne Warwick, Joe Sample, B.B. King, Chicago, Cinderella, Johnny Mathis, Miles Davis, Herb Alpert, Indigo Girls, Peter Allen, Quincy Jones, The Temptations, Donna Summer, Manhattan Transfer, Tori Amos, Red Hot Chili Peppers...and several hundred others he's appeared on that I don't have the sanity to list, including many popular film soundtracks.

I'd say he kept busy. 😁 So busy, in fact, that he only has a few albums recorded under his own name.

I know that Sebastiao Neto has appeared on other Brazilian artists' recordings over the years (one of Sergio's earliest band members, in fact), and I believe Dom Um Romao was previously working as Jobim drummer in the mid 60s. Claudio Slon also recorded with others, including some of Walter Wanderley's albums in the 60s. I don't follow Sergio beyond the A&M recordings to know who was in his bands. Most of them probably have done session work, with anything in the music industry, to band members it is just a job to them. Once they're done in one group, they move onto another and/or continue their ongoing session work.

For any session musician, even those who might headline their own albums, it takes a mixture of session work on recordings, appearing in live gigs as a side musician, touring with their own group, selling their own recordings, songwriting for themselves and others, tutoring privately, and teaching at universities to make a living.

A sort of "family tree" with Sergio as the main topic would be kind of cool for someone to put together.
Paulinho Da Costa also appears on Carpenters’ “Made In America” album.

Rudy is right; I used to see Paulinho's name on practically every other album I saw in the credits in the 70s and 80s and early 90s. So it would not be a surprise if he was on Madonna's album as well. He finally did a solo album that was released on A&M in the early 90s, I believe. I also think that Herb produced that album as well, though I'm not too sure about that.

Back
Top Bottom