Perry Como 1974 Christmas special with the Carpenters coming to DVD

There's another one called 'Why Don't They Understand' that was recorded earlier (around 1975, I believe). So we can add that one to the list. :wink:

RC has, for quite sometime, pondered on this and wondered how to release this and still do the CarpenterS legacy justice. Still a classy guy, he (RC) doesn't want to cement the bubble gum, toss aside, 70's novelty act image some people still regard them as.

I have to be honest and say it's a bit late in the day if that's all he's worried about. They had that reputation even into the early eighties. Beechwood anyone?

Last edited:
Got an email....Christmas Como has shipped!!!:goodie:

Can you tell I'm a bit excited???

It's going to be a wonderful Christmas or should I say Thanksgiving...I won't be able to wait till Dec to watch.

When I arrived home from school today my mom said it had come!

Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait to watch because we're giving it to my grandfather for his birthday.

Oh well. Good things come to those who wait!

Sarah :wiggle:

Happy to hear that the disc has shipped and this is a reality. Joining you all in the excitement! I've been wishing for this to be released professionally for so many years now. What a wonderful and happy occasion!! :) Can't wait.

If you all want that little extra "something", Richard can be found in the segment of Perry's "Ave Maria", doing the opening explanation - definitely a little "bonus" :)

Mine just left Seattle 175 mi north of here. Due for delivery sometime Wednesday. This oughta put a bounce in me step.

Hello all (first post) -

I've had a chance to play with 'Perry Como's Christmas Show' DVD for a few hours now and, in general, quite pleased with its quality... Harry's been spot on concerning expectations for '70s-era audio and video -- yes, the audio's mono and the video's 4:3, but this is no OTA recording -- overall, it's consistent with other clean media of the period. The 'Santa's Coming' and 'Karen/Perry medley' segments alone made this well worth the wait.

Interesting about the audio...so they could not have made a simulated stereo track?
I was in Barnes & Noble at lunch today and there playing Christmas music over the loudspeaker...I was like man it's a little early...hearing Michael Bublee singing it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (when it's 84 degrees outside here).
They have a Christmas section of CD's & DVD's, I saw several copies of Carpenters Christmas Collection (I like the cover photo but I don't like how they designed it for this CD, it's blurry, worn out looking, it's terrible and I dislike that 2 CD set yet that is all we see from them, so sad. I was surprised to see 1 CD of Christmas Portrait, I moved them to the front :)
I did not see the Como Christmas Special on DVD with the other DVD's.

The postman has delivered...yup I got this in my hands just now, nice to see Karen and Richard photographed on the back cover of the DVD. It says 2.0 mono at the bottom but it also says Dolby Digital and the logo. This is great they included "Special Features" I can't wait to watch this.

"Join Perry Como & The Carpenters for a Warm & Nostalgic Holiday Celebration!"

...it's 1974 all over again...

Interesting about the audio...so they could not have made a simulated stereo track?

The good news is, at least for the 2 segments I mentioned, we have excellent replacement audio available. I've only had time to do 'Santa' so far but the result is very nice... Karen now sounds as good as she looks (radiant!)

Just finished Santa Claus is Comin To Town and the Carpenters/Como hits medley. Within those 2 segments there are several shots, angles, expressions and what have you that so closely mirror Karen's "look" live and in person. Karen seems more confidant here as well. In the special features I found Richard looking handsome in present day as he hosts a spot about Perry. Not appearing awkward, blind or generally uncomfortable. Will give the holiday indulgence later. All the new releases lately brings back memories of yesterday. Can't stop buying the re-mastered this-n-that's. Always more than a little willing to experience release dates like yesteryear. This was sumptuous! So luxurious...I'm soaking in it.

Same here. Mine arrived today and I've watched it three times this evening. I, too, am still soaking it in. With years of limited new offerings, the anticipation and pay-off was like getting a new album back in the 70's (I'm a child of 1960 as well). I was trying to hold-off until after Thanksgiving, but wow, this makes me want to get the Christmas CDs out tomorrow...

I am purposely and willingly not going to have this shipped for another 2 weeks because I know I will drive the entire household and 3 flat crazy by over playing the 2 segments mentioned above. I figure they cannot deny me too much if it's closer to the holidays :santawave:
Thanks for the great reviews though. I cannot wait!

Mine arrived on Thursday, and the wait was well worth it!! Amazing. Brought back so many memories of watching it when it first aired in the family room with the tree all lit up. I was in 7th Heaven then, and again watching it in perfect quality 39 years later. I had recorded the audio of the show on a cassette tape originally in 1974, so it was mesmerizing to see the segments I'd remembered from the tape come alive again on video. What a trip! Karen and Richard stole the show, and the Carpenters/Como duet remains one of my all time favorite TV appearances.

I received mine over the weekend, and am waiting for a totally alone free day to enjoy myself! Can't wait for MONDAY :b-boogie:

So happy that we finally have this one in a quality release. I've watched it about 3 times so far since I received it on Saturday. Glad to know I'm in good company!
I could watch her sing "Santa Claus" all day. She's so beautiful. I sure hope this encourages Richard to release more from their own Christmas Specials. I remember him saying many years ago that MPI was interested in putting out a Christmas Compilation DVD. Hopefully sales from the Como one will get those talks started again.

I really enjoyed Richard's commentary on the career of Perry Como. It is obvious that he really knows his stuff when it comes to Perry Como. The Como family must be very appreciative of his kind words.

On a side note: I wonder whether any other fans were surprised by the quality of Richard's voice? I guess we are all getting older and I am still thinking of him and Karen frozen in time from 35 or 40 years ago. No doubt, our voices change as we age and at a certain point the change becomes quite noticeable.

On a side note: I wonder whether any other fans were surprised by the quality of Richard's voice? I guess we are all getting older and I am still thinking of him and Karen frozen in time from 35 or 40 years ago. No doubt, our voices change as we age and at a certain point the change becomes quite noticeable.

It's funny you should mention that, a few fans who have met him in the past year or so were quite taken aback at how raspy his voice has gotten.

Back
Top Bottom