Perry Como 1974 Christmas special with the Carpenters coming to DVD

I seem to remember something being written about Richard becoming rather closely associated with the Como estate during and after his work on AS TIME GOES BY, but I can't locate it.

Harry

I think you are right, Harry. I know that Richard wrote the liner notes and co-produced the Perry Como Complete RCA Christmas Collection from Real Gone Music that came out last year.

There was actually a plug for this album at the end of Richard's special feature on the DVD! LOL!!

Ordered my DVD on 10th Nov, just got home from work today, and my DVD has arrived.:goodie: First thing I noticed on the packaging was the NTSC logo, in the UK we have PAL:mudscrying:
So I put the DVD in the DVD player.........relief.......it played :) Went straight to Santa Claus which is then followed by the Como/Carps Medley. I'm so pleased with this DVD release, will watch it from start to finish this w/e. Did Karen & Perry kiss on the lips at the end of the Medley? Will watch more closely on next viewing:biglaugh:

Couldn't wait till the w/e so watched the DVD, great bit of nostalgia. Karen sounds so young when she sings Sleep Well Little Children, amazing. Classy Christmas special, loved the ice skating. Richard's commentary in the special features is a great piece, hope I look and sound as good as he does if I reach his age! Karen & Perry do kiss on the lips, Doris Day & Perry did as well. Strange.

I really enjoyed Richard's commentary on the career of Perry Como. It is obvious that he really knows his stuff when it comes to Perry Como. The Como family must be very appreciative of his kind words.

On a side note: I wonder whether any other fans were surprised by the quality of Richard's voice? I guess we are all getting older and I am still thinking of him and Karen frozen in time from 35 or 40 years ago. No doubt, our voices change as we age and at a certain point the change becomes quite noticeable.

I just watched this DVD again tonight, I agree that "Santa Claus" is worth the price of the DVD alone. I really enjoyed the commentary by Richard. I immediately was surprised at Richard voice on the commentary. He has always been selective about his choice of words and always took time in his answers to question but in this commentary I noticed that it takes him longer to get his point across...at times it was sorta exhausting just listening to him but I really enjoyed his wealth of expertise and information of the show and of Perry. I also put Karen and Richard back in those recording days but Richard's voice has not aged well...it's more rapsy than I have ever heard it in recent interviews. It leads me to believe that he most likely won't be singing or recording again.

There were some little things I picked up on....when Richard was speaking about Perry and image, he said something like, even today image is everything and how you are perceived by the public. He also said something about how Perry and Richard and Karen were alike in the fact that they did their job and at the end of the day they went home. They were not the party animals staying out late like other artists of their time. The image thing struck me....and made me remember how much Richard dislikes video footage and how he still considers image everything and now I kinda understand why he probably will never release all their video footage like their live concerts and tv shows. I don't agree but hearing this again from Richard in 2013 sorta confirms that most of their video footage will probably not be released officially. I wish this released would spark other releases but I have my doubts....just some of my thoughts.

So all the family together today....after breakfast and coffee and exchanging gifts....I whipped out the Perry Como Christmas DVD....everyone loved it....some said they remembered this from tv....others said Karen left us too soon she had a wonderful voice...one said you always know it's Karen as soon as she sings....it was a fun time to all watch this together, wholesome entertainment with great music. No price can compare to making new memories from old shows like this.

Until I watched the "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" video clip recently, I had completely forgotten about this song: how wonderfully Richard arranged it, and how beautifully everyone involved performed it. Everything from Karen's lead vocal to the lushly overdubbed vocal harmonies to the instrumental arrangements (including some spectacular trumpet work) are extraordinary. This is very reminiscent of the jazz-tinged Singers Unlimited-style work I so wish they had continued to pursue.

I confess (and I know I'm in the minority on this) that I am not a fan of the "sleepy" style of Christmas album they came out with later on. I really enjoyed this different spin they put on Christmas music, and wish they'd been able to maintain that energy throughout their "Christmas Portrait" album. (I don't include "Old-Fashioned Christmas" in this appraisal because it was released after Karen's death, and we know now that Richard had to rush production of that album to fit A&M's schedule.)

The odd thing about Santa Claus is coming to town is that the lyrics are scary. He knows when you're sleeping? He knows when you're awake? What else does he know??

Richard's mannerisms are almost exactly the same as always, but he looks so much older and the voice sounds rough.

Did anyone else watch the medley as part of the extras. Perry seems to be making up some of the lyrics.

Now watching the show.

Almost that time of year, the most wonderful time of the year....
and, watching this DVD,again, I wondered aloud--and, now-- in print:
Is that Richard Carpenter's arrangement for the Como/Carpenter Medley ?
(The As Time Goes By Liner Notes do not explicitly attach his name to the arrangement.)
Great Television Special to watch, again !

Well I'm glad this special is on DVD, as I wasn't around when it first aired. Of course when compared to SD material from today (such as DV or Digital Betacam or even the old analog Betacam SP), this special from 2-inch composite videotape doesn't look much better than a B1 Betamax recording. Of course for 1970's era footage, it looks fine.

Of course, you can really tell during the skating party where the editors had some footage transferred to film in order to do the turn-the-two-boys-into-penguins routine. The one section goes from 30 to 24 frames and back.

But I was kind of surprised that with Richard working on the release with the estate, that he didn't suggest doing a remix, considering that the Carpenters/Como medley, Santa Claus is coming to Town and the other songs exist in stereo. Of course, I guess there might've been the added complication of the other songs not having the individual voices seperate from the music.

But, really, Santa Claus I was surprised Richard didn't say to pull the audio, as the Special uses the 1974 single version (in the mono mix that was probably prepared for AM radio), with the, as I call it, "sax stepping down stairs" middle, and replace it with the 1984 OFC version.

Otherwise my favourite part would have to be the Toyland sequence. But it would've been nice if the Carpenters had been integrated into it or the store scenes, as they kind of just show up out of nowhere at the skating party.

I, for one, am grateful the original audio was utilized and retained for this DVD release.
For, at least two, reasons.
(1) To retain the authenticity of the period in which the Television Special was filmed and aired (to wit, late 1974).
(2) I (opinion) have always preferred the original sax solo in Santa Claus Is Coming To Town. (It is a close call, though.)
To have replaced the one (1974) with the other (1984) would have tended to distort the historical accuracy of the Special;
even though I never saw it when first aired--I was familiar with the audio long before release of 1984's Old Fashioned Christmas LP.

This Como Special is (evidently) considered to be one of the Best Christmas Specials of the 1970's.
("...the most famous and well-received of the Christmas Specials..." TVShowsonDVD).

And it's amazing it survived. Considering it only aired once, it's surprising someone didn't erase the tape or just throw it in the garbage after a few years.

I'm so glad this DVD is still available. Just ordered mine. Looking so forward to having it for Christmas season 2015! I find it so strange that Richard hasn't made the Carpenters Christmas (and other) TV specials available.

With DVD another option could've been to have had 2 audio tracks: one featuring the original mono track, while the other could've had a 2.0 stereo or 5.1 remix.

And it's amazing it survived. Considering it only aired once, it's surprising someone didn't erase the tape or just throw it in the garbage after a few years.
Yup, the BBC did that all the time. Many things there were lost including many early classic Dr. Who episodes.

Welcome to the board.

Regarding the version of Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town on this Perry Como DVD:

Is it the same as the "original 1974 single version"? If so, in what way is it different than the "1984 remix" found in the Christmas Collection, Essential Collection, From The Top CDs? Is there more reverb or re-recorded instrumentation/vocals in the '84 remix?

Regarding the version of Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town on this Perry Como DVD:

Is it the same as the "original 1974 single version"? If so, in what way is it different than the "1984 remix" found in the Christmas Collection, Essential Collection, From The Top CDs? Is there more reverb or re-recorded instrumentation/vocals in the '84 remix?

Above all else the 1984 version has a re-recorded sax solo that was added for its inclusion in An Old Fashioned Christmas.

In addition, the Como DVD version of "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" would be the mono mix of the original single.

Back
Top Bottom