Perry Como 1974 Christmas special with the Carpenters coming to DVD

The sax solo is quite different on both mixes. The 1974 version sounds jerky, like the saxophonist was walking down stairs while trying to record the solo, while the 1984 version is a lot more smooth.

Has anyone noticed how the mix of "Carol Of The Bells" on this special (minus the backing group) seems to be the same mix as on "Christmas Portrait", albeit in mono here?

Of course. It's well-known that on TV performances, Carpenters preferred to mime to a recorded track.

In case you don't have the DVD, GET-TV is showing the Perry Como Christmas special with the Carpenters. GET-TV is a digital channel available on many cable services. Here is the information:

THE PERRY COMO CHRISTMAS SHOW (1974)

Premieres: Nov. 25 at 9pE; Other airdates include: Dec. 7 at 9pE and Dec. 23 at 8pE

Celebrated showman Perry Como gets viewers into the spirit of Christmas, teaming up with the Carpenters to deliver an hour of holiday standards such as "Carol Of The Bells" and "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town," as well as unforgettable Como and Karen Carpenterduets on "Sleep Well, Little Children" and the tag-team medley covering the Como and Carpenter hits "It's Impossible" and "We've Only Just Begun." The special also includes comedian/impressionist Rich Little portraying Santa Claus in the guise of Jack Benny and Olympic Champion figure skater Peggy Fleming. The special also includes an extended Nativity scene, as narrated by Como. (OAD: 12/17/74).

Starring: Perry Como, The Carpenters, Rich Little, and Peggy Fleming.

Thanks for posting the news about the airing. I'm so glad that Get-TV will be showing this and many other classics this season. It's great that Karen and Richard will be seen on television again in such a wonderful performance.

GET-TV also showing this Christmas Show Today, 27 Nov., 5-6 pm Eastern.
I note that it is heavily edited (only a partial Como/Carpenters' Medley).
In any event, great to see the duo on Television in 2015.
Obviously, this is a well -remembered Christmas Special.
(Why couldn't Carpenters get these writers for their Christmas Specials?).

Even more edited than the edited version? :laugh:
Makes sense, as the amount of commercials that air on US TV now, especially with syndicated and repeat shows is more than in the 70's. On DVD the special is about 50 minutes without commercials, whereas TV shows nowadays are usually around 45 minutes.

Too soon for Christmas ?
Oh, well, not only did I listen to Carpenters' Christmas music yesterday, I also revisited this Television Special.
I love the Show--or, to be honest , the parts with Karen Carpenter on screen.

I noticed a few things:
(1) It takes quite a while before we actually get a Carpenter in the program--and, then, first up is the piano solo by Richard.
Richard Carpenter maintains that "Please Mr. Postman" look in this segment (as in, not particularly enjoying himself).
(2) Karen's vocals are buried quite a bit in the two musical numbers where everyone is on stage together singing.
(3) The segment where Karen is holding on to Rich Little--the man almost ignores her ! Am I wrong ? I'd be ecstatic.
(4) Rather than the show's producers editing the Carpenters/Como Medley at the end, why not edit the ice skating scenes,
or--heaven forbid--cut out the piano solo ?
(5) Many of these songs, here, later make their appearance as recordings on Christmas Portrait LP.

I love watching the show, as Karen looks terrific.

I'd love to isolate Karen's vocals on Sleep Well Little Children.
Comparison of 1974 to her 1978 recording makes for enchanting listening.

So again, a 1974 Album should have been recorded.

Too soon for Christmas ?
Oh, well, not only did I listen to Carpenters' Christmas music yesterday, I also revisited this Television Special.
I love the Show--or, to be honest , the parts with Karen Carpenter on screen.

I noticed a few things:
(1) It takes quite a while before we actually get a Carpenter in the program--and, then, first up is the piano solo by Richard.
Richard Carpenter maintains that "Please Mr. Postman" look in this segment (as in, not particularly enjoying himself).
(2) Karen's vocals are buried quite a bit in the two musical numbers where everyone is on stage together singing.
(3) The segment where Karen is holding on to Rich Little--the man almost ignores her ! Am I wrong ? I'd be ecstatic.
(4) Rather than the show's producers editing the Carpenters/Como Medley at the end, why not edit the ice skating scenes,
or--heaven forbid--cut out the piano solo ?
(5) Many of these songs, here, later make their appearance as recordings on Christmas Portrait LP.

I love watching the show, as Karen looks terrific.

I'd love to isolate Karen's vocals on Sleep Well Little Children.
Comparison of 1974 to her 1978 recording makes for enchanting listening.

So again, a 1974 Album should have been recorded.

Yes, the C's (particularly Karen) were at peak voice and looks in 1974, and the Como special is the best example of that. It's a wonder what they could have recorded without the touring.

It's too bad that the special was limited to a one-hour time slot in 74, it would've been interesting to have seen and heard what could've been done in a 90 or 120 minute segment.

Today:
My neighbor purchased the Como Christmas Special DVD
and the 2-cd set, Carpenters Christmas Collection.
In any event, she was prompted to do so after watching the
PBS Special. She is very impressed with Carpenters......

That's awesome Gary, another Carpenter convert!

Also being shown on INSP channel (available on DirecTV and U-verse and maybe others) Sunday Dec. 24th at 6:00 PM EST, Christmas Day at 2:00 PM EST. A religious oriented station which also shows 60's TV shows and older movies...

Regarding the duo's wonderful appearance on this show; at the end of the medley, Karen sings very beautifully (in her upper register) "no other love have I". Richard also chimes in; "till the end of time". Not being a big Como guy and doing some research, I found out these were big Como hits back in the day. My point being, after hearing Karen's vocal on that one line, I wanted to hear more. Just like I wanted to hear more of her rendition of "It's Impossible". Just more entries in the endless "wish list" of songs that shoulda/woulda/coulda been recorded by The Carpenters.

Considering that the Carpenters did record those sections to audio tape, maybe the did record for both songs the whole thing.

I confess (and I know I'm in the minority on this) that I am not a fan of the "sleepy" style of Christmas album they came out with later on. I really enjoyed this different spin they put on Christmas music, and wish they'd been able to maintain that energy throughout their "Christmas Portrait" album.

I'm curious as to what you mean by this, did you feel some of the tracks on CP were too languid and that they should have kept a more upbeat pace for the whole album?

Back
Top Bottom