Personal Compilations

Song4uman

Several years ago I went crazy and made my own compilations of various types. I thought it might be fun to share and get your comments and have you share your own compilations...

Those Good Old Dreams
Reason to Believe
(Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You
Univited Guest
Jambalya
When It's Gone
Make Believe It's Your First Time (due to slide guitar...)
Sweet, Sweet Smile
Desperado
Top of the World

More to come....
Jonathan

Carpenters for Kids:
Those Good Old Dreams
Saturday
Jambalaya
Sweet, Sweet Smile
Top of the World
Goofus
Sing
I Can't Smile Without You
Rainbow Connection
Bless the Beasts...
Little Girl Blue
Goodnight
Crystal Lullaby

Album Cuts:

songs that I like but were not singles...and some haven't appeared much other than the original albums...

(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You
At the End of a Song
You're the One
Honolulu City Lights
I have You
Kiss me the way...
Love me for what I am
One more time
Prime Time Love
Sailing on the Tide
Slow Dance
Somebody's Been Lyin
Strength of a Woman
The Uninvited Guest
Two Lives
Two Sides
When You've got what it takes
You're Enough
I can Dream Can't I?

Through the Years

Close to You
A Song for You
Tryin to get the feeling
If I had You
When I Fall in Love
Ordinary Fool
Can't Smile without you
Boat to Sail
Happy
Desperado
I Can't Make Music
Road Ode
One Love
(A Place to) Hideaway
I'll Never Fall in Love Again
Man Smart, Woman Smarter
This Masquerade
Sing

Don't remember why I titled it this....and not sure why I put all of these songs in.... :)
Jonathan

Love Story

I do really like this one......sort of tells a story

A Song for You
Touch Me When We're Dancing
Kiss Me the Way you Did Last Night
Love Making Love to You
Superstar
Rainy Days and Mondays
Tryin to get the feeling again
This Masquerade
Love Me For What I Am
I'll Say Goodbye to Love
Solitaire
Desperado
Where do We Go From Here?
Something's Missing
I Need to be in Love
I Just Fall in Love Again
Only Yesterday
Slow Dance
Happy

Several years ago I went crazy and made my own compilations of various types. I thought it might be fun to share and get your comments and have you share your own compilations...

Jonathan: Thanks a million for posting these compilations! I definitely like all your lists. Your country list brings to mind the Carpenters' success on the country charts with "Sweet Sweet Smile," and you highlight that several other songs had that country feel.

I have made compilations, too (a fun pasttime of mine, to be sure). One compilation I made recently is entitled:

Up-Tempo Songs

1. B’wana She No Home
  2. There’s a Kind of Hush
  3. Happy
  4. Saturday
  5. Only Yesterday
  6. (Want You) Back in My Life Again
  7. Sweet Sweet Smile
  8. Sailing on the Tide
  9. Love Is Surrender
  10. Please Mr. Postman
  11. My Body Keeps Changing My Mind
  12. Breaking Up Is Hard to Do
  13. If I Had You
  14. All You Get From Love Is a Love Song

These are great and very interesting. My compilations tend to be more songwriter focused, i.e.. Paul Williams songs, Bacharach songs, etc.

I have a mini Beatles playlist (just a pity they didn't cover a few more of their songs!):

Ticket to Ride
Help!
Nowhere Man
Baby It's You
Please Mr Postman
Goodnight

Check out the songs from "Your Navy Presents". They are floating around the internet, and if I remember correctly, there are a couple more Beatles tunes the Carpenters covered.

As far as compilations go,I think Richard finally hit the nail on the head with "40/40".I don't think you could ask for a more definitive Compilation-so many great tracks on one package(Ordinary Fool,One More Time,When You've Got What It Takes,A Song For You,Baby Its You,This Masquerade,etc).

But,I think a standards/torch compilation is long overdue.To have "I Can Dream Can't I","Little Girl Blue","Don't Cry For Me Argentina","When I Fall In Love","Ordinary Fool" and all the other standard material on one package would be one gem of an album!K&R's original standard -style material:"Sometimes","Look To Your Dreams" and "Somebody's Been Lyin" would complement the album perfectly.

I have one personal compilation which I titled "Crescent Noon." It contains my "edited" version of the oldies medley from Now And Then. Here's the track list. All the songs are the "Original Remasters" versions unless noted:

Intro/We've Only Just Begun ("The Singles" version)
Hurting Each Other
A Song For You
Superstar ("The Singles" version)
Rainy Days and Mondays ("The Singles" version)
Goodbye to Love ("The Singles" version)
Bless the Beasts and Children
Eve
Crescent Noon
Crystal Lullaby
Road Ode
A Song For You (Reprise)
Yesterday Once More
Fun, Fun, Fun
The End of the World
Da Doo Ron Ron
Our Day Will Come
One Fine Day
Yesterday Once More (Reprise)
(They Long To Be) Close To You
I Won't Last A Day Without You
I Need to Be In Love
Mr. Guder (reprise) *
I Kept On Loving You

*The track "Mr. Guder (reprise)" is just the ending of that song from the Close to You album. I picked up the song right at the cymbal hit where the ending "ba-da-ba-da-ba-da" part starts. I did this because I didn't want to cut-off the beginning of "I Kept On Loving You" and also because I really like the segue between those two songs. I thought it was kind of cool to end the collection on an uptempo song, which was a rarity on the "real" Carpenters albums.

Check out the songs from "Your Navy Presents". They are floating around the internet, and if I remember correctly, there are a couple more Beatles tunes the Carpenters covered.
Thanks for that. Found Can't Buy Me Love. Always good to hear a "new" Carpenters recording. Much obliged. Also found some Lady Ga Ga song called Paparazzi mixed with Superstar which was odd but strangely good. I never cease to be amazed by You Tube.

CARPENTERS compilation

I was struggling to get off to sleep the other night and for some reason started thinking whether you could make a nicely flowing compilation album of Carpenters songs matching the first letter of the title of a song to CARPENTERS and if so what would you chose. Why? I have no idea and it certainly didn't help me to get to sleep any faster! I decided released solo tracks could be included. I struggled though to know whether songs like (They Long to be) Close to You would count as T or C so opted out of including such songs (though if I'd taken it from Pickwick's "treasures" album where it's listed as simply Close to You I suppose I could have used it for "C"). My own selection at the moment (it will no doubt change) is as follows:

Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft
All Because of You
Rainy Days and Mondays
Please Mr Postman
Eve
Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing
This Masquerade
Eventide
Road Ode
Somebody's Been Lyin'

As far as I can see you only have two options for "E" (the order can change though). I would have included A Song For You at the beginning but it was turning into a succession of saxophone solos (another possible compilation theme to ponder on a sleepless night). I rarely ever listen to Somebody's Been Lyin' (I tend to agree with the majority on the Made in America thread - most of the songs had no edge and it all too soft as a whole) and I'm surprised I included it but somehow it seem to fit okay here. And I've rediscovered and have a new appreciation for Nowadays Clancy Can't Sing as a result of this pointless exercise!

What would other chose?

C rescent noon
A ll you get from love is a love song
R ainy days and mondays
P rime time love
E nd of the world
N ow
T wo lives
E ve
R oad Ode
S ailing on the Tide

Here is mine!

Classics

There's A Kind Of Hush
Ticket To Ride
Only Yesterday
Superstar
You
Reason To Believe
Rainy Days And Mondays
Jambala
Please Mr. Postman
Desperado
Top Of The World
Happy
We've Only Just Begun
Sweet Sweet Smile
I Need To Be In Love
Beechwood 4-5789
Yesterday Once More
Solitaire
Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
Goodbye To Love
Craft

I love making my own compilations - not just The Carpenters but all the artists in my music collection. Two Carpenters compilations that I've had on my to-do list for years but elude me are a "Karen, vocals only" Christmas album and an oldies comp similar to the songs on side 2 of the Now & Then album. I have the edits from the Time-Life collection as the foundation. I've gotten as far as making a list of candidates. I continually shilly-shally on whether to include the Bacharach/David songs.

Randy

Make Your Own Kind Of Music

This is a collection of the songs they performed on the television series of the same name,
with a couple additional gems from the Ticket To Ride album.

Note: I sequenced the songs alphabetically as was the theme on the series.

1. All I Can Do
2. All Of My Life
3. Baby, It's You
4. Bacharach-David Medley
5. Bless The Beasts and Children
6. Close To You
7. Don't Be Afraid
8. Druscilla Penny
9. For All We Know
10. Help
11. Hideaway
12. I Kept On Loving You
13. Let Me Be The One
14. Love Is Surrender
15. Maybe It's You
16. Mr. Guder
17. Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing
18. One Love
19. Rainy Days and Mondays
20. Reason To Believe
21. Superstar
22. Ticket To Ride
23. We've Only Just Begun
24. What's The Use
25. Your Wonderful Parade

Power Ballads

Pretty much the inventers of the power ballad frequently adopted by rock bands in the 80's & 90's.
This compilation is pretty much still in the works, but I generally chose songs which had a prominent guitar,
saxophone or horn section solo.

The list of songs I have so far are:

Goodbye To Love
Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again
Where Do I Go From Here?
A Song For You
Only Yesterday
Love Me For What I Am
All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
I Just Fall In Love Again
If We Try

more to come...suggestions welcome!

Great compilations! I've got some great ideas to use if I ever decide to make a personal compilation; but for now, I take the songs in the shuffle order they come in. :)

Sessions: Made in America

These are the songs known to be available that were recorded during the Made in America sessions.
However, I plan to alter the sequence so that I can have a different approach to these songs.

Those Good Old Dreams
Strength of a Woman
(Want You) Back In My Life Again
When You've Got What It Takes
Somebody's Been Lyin'
When It's Gone (It's Just Gone)
Beechwood 4-5789
Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song)

plus...

At The End Of A Song
Prime Time Love
Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
Two Lives
Make Believe It's Your First Time
Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
The Uninvited Guest
The Rainbow Connection

I know that there are more from these sessions if only they were available.

Jonathan: Thanks a million for posting these compilations! I definitely like all your lists. Your country list brings to mind the Carpenters' success on the country charts with "Sweet Sweet Smile," and you highlight that several other songs had that country feel.

I have made compilations, too (a fun pasttime of mine, to be sure). One compilation I made recently is entitled:

Up-Tempo Songs

1. B’wana She No Home
  2. There’s a Kind of Hush
  3. Happy
  4. Saturday
  5. Only Yesterday
  6. (Want You) Back in My Life Again
  7. Sweet Sweet Smile
  8. Sailing on the Tide
  9. Love Is Surrender
  10. Please Mr. Postman
  11. My Body Keeps Changing My Mind
  12. Breaking Up Is Hard to Do
  13. If I Had You
  14. All You Get From Love Is a Love Song
I've always loved the idea of an up-tempo collection. I like the ones you chose, plus I have a few other ideas of my own. Will post when I'm done.

Sessions: 1978

This compilation is a bit smaller than the others I've created.
I also contributed a couple songs from the Passage sessions from 1977.

1. I Believe You
2. Sailing On The Tide (Passage sessions)
3. Leave Yesterday Behind
4. When I Fall In Love
5. Honolulu City Lights
6. Where Do I Go From Here?
7. You're The One (Passage sessions)
8. Slow Dance
9. Little Girl Blue
10. Look To Your Dreams

Back
Top Bottom