Personal Compilations

OK...I guess I've been kind of "overdoing" it with all my personal compilations.
But, here is a new one that I've been in the process of putting together.
It's well known that Karen & Richard have provided all the vocals for most of their tracks.
But every so often, they were provided with a variety of "guest" vocalists
to enhance their recordings, most notably "The O.K. Chorale",
especially on their latest recordings.
I decided to put together a collection of songs featuring these additional vocalists.
Even though I counted at least 10 songs featuring the O.K. Chorale,
I didn't want to make a compilation featuring just that act.
So I chose those 10 songs, plus 9 other songs that featured guest vocalists,
and made the compilation, placing the "O.K. Chorale" songs every other one.
Here is my compilation, with a tentative sequence...and the title I gave it:

Carpenters with Other Voices in the Mix
I included the featured guest vocalist(s) in parenthesis.

1. At The End Of A Song (the O.K. Chorale)
2. Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night (Siedah Garrett)
3. Make Believe It's Your First Time (The O.K. Chorale)
4. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song (Julia Tillman, Carlene Williams, Maxine Willard)
5. Honolulu City Lights (The O.K. Chorale)
6. Touch Me When We're Dancing (Carolyn Dennis)
7. The Uninvited Guest (The O.K. Chorale)
8. I Just Fall In Love Again (The Gregg Smith Singers)
9. Two Lives (The O.K. Chorale)
10. Little Altar Boy (The English Corale)
11. Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song) (The O.K. Chorale)
12. Strength Of A Woman (Carolyn Dennis, Stephanie Spruill, Maxine Waters Willard)
13. The Rainbow Connection (The O.K. Chorale)
14. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (single version) (The Gregg Smith Singers)
15. Now (The O.K. Chorale)
16. I Can Dream, Can't I? (Jackie Ward, Mitch Gordon, John Bahler, Gene Merlino)
17. You're Enough (The O.K. Chorale)
18. Don't Cry For Me, Argentina (single version) (The Gregg Smith Singers)
19. Look To Your Dreams (single version) (The O.K. Chorale)
20. Making Love In The Afternoon (Bonus Track) (Peter Cetera)

By using single versions, I was able to make room for all these selections.
By stating Make Love In The Afternoon as a Bonus Track, this is a KC solo recording featuring Peter Cetera in the vocals.
This compilation has not been fully completed, so this track may appear in a more suitable location.
Plus, I chose to include Little Altar Boy because it can be listened to aside from being a Christmas selection.

I don't see Goofus represented! Being sarcastic, of course.
Yes, I realize that Goofus peaked on the charts slightly (and I mean slightly) above Ticket To Ride, but wouldn't you agree that Ticket To Ride is much more recognizable. I mean, even the most casual Carpenters listener knows of their version of Ticket To Ride than they do of Goofus.
And, yes, that doesn't make my Billboard Collection actually authentic....but....I don't care. LOL

And, now, just one more I've been trying to put together...
I want to make a compilation focusing on some of their most relaxing music,
something I can pop in the CD player when I go to bed.
I want to call it Crystal Lullaby

So far, I've thought of Crystal Lullaby, Ordinary Fool and Someday.
I'm sure I'll be able to come up with more, but I thought that any suggestions that may come from this thread would make this collection much more unique, while also making it somewhat a "Forum/Thread" family project. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
I'd like to keep this collection virtually hit-free. That means, I would rather not have this compilation contain songs that have appeared on many of their officially released compilations. That includes hits as well as popular album tracks. I'd like to keep this as unique as possible.

I have my MIA session playlist. It goes for about an hour. I hope I have it "right". Lol

1. Those good old dreams
2. Strength of a woman
3. (Want you) Back in my life again
4. When you've got what it takes
5. Somebody's been lyin'
6. Touch me when we're dancing
7. Kiss me the way you did last night
8. When it's gone (it's just gone)
9. Beechwood
10. You're baby doesn't love you anymore
11. Because we are in love
12. At the end of a song
13. Prime time love
14. The uninvited guest
15. Make believe it's your first time
16. The rainbow connection
You missed "Two Lives"

Album Cuts:

songs that I like but were not singles...and some haven't appeared much other than the original albums...

(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You
At the End of a Song
You're the One
Honolulu City Lights
I have You
Kiss me the way...
Love me for what I am
One more time
Prime Time Love
Sailing on the Tide
Slow Dance
Somebody's Been Lyin
Strength of a Woman
The Uninvited Guest
Two Lives
Two Sides
When You've got what it takes
You're Enough
I can Dream Can't I?
I like this one!!!!!!

Carpenters: Standards EP (~ 17 minutes)

1. From This Moment On (2:00)
2. When I Fall in Love (3:08)
3. I Can Dream, Can't I? (4:56)
4. Medley: My Funny Valentine / I Got Rhythm / Someone to Watch Over Me / As Time Goes By (3:33)
5. Little Girl Blue (3:25)

Carpenters: The Singles 1974-1978 + (~46 minutes)

1. Aurora
2. Sweet, Sweet Smile
3. Goofus
4. All You Get From Love is a Love Song
5. Only Yesterday
6. Solitaire
7. I Need to Be in Love
8. I Believe You
9. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft
10. This Masquerade
11. Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again
12. Eventide

had been working for a couple of years on a set of singles with the B sides......was only missing a few and now I will soon be getting the PBS collection.....so I don't have to work on it anymore!! Yippee!!

There are so many Carpenters songs that were never released as singles, or may have appeared as a B-side, that I am almost certain may have been hits had they been released as an A-side single. (well-maybe) I gathered a short selection of songs, trying to include something from each album or recording session. Here is the list I came up with:

Carpenters...What If?

1. A Song For You
2. This Masquerade
3. Maybe It's You
4. I Just Fall In Love Again
5. Happy
6. Two Lives
7. Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
8. Let Me Be The One
9. All Of My Life
10. You're The One
11. I Have You
12. Now

That's a good idea Scotty, I could use a new 'Going to sleep' album... Mine wouldn't be complete though without Goodnight, Eventide, I can dream can't I and... heck I was even thinking of Sleep well little children, but that's a bit of an odd one in the summer perhaps :D
Such a shame that they didn't record a full version of "A house is not a home", 'cause Karen sings that so beautifully, I would have added that one too...

Greg
Great suggestions. I'll add them to my list.

I like your idea for this compilation, ScottyB! I would suggest the following additions:
  • Yesterday Once More (Reprise), for its ethereal sound
  • (A Place to) Hideaway
And these instrumentals...
  • Heather
  • Karen's Theme
  • Time
I like the idea of Hideaway & Heather, however I would rather try to keep away from the solo works. But good suggestions, nevertheless.

Jonathan: Thanks a million for posting these compilations! I definitely like all your lists. Your country list brings to mind the Carpenters' success on the country charts with "Sweet Sweet Smile," and you highlight that several other songs had that country feel.

I have made compilations, too (a fun pasttime of mine, to be sure). One compilation I made recently is entitled:

Up-Tempo Songs

1. B’wana She No Home
  2. There’s a Kind of Hush
  3. Happy
  4. Saturday
  5. Only Yesterday
  6. (Want You) Back in My Life Again
  7. Sweet Sweet Smile
  8. Sailing on the Tide
  9. Love Is Surrender
  10. Please Mr. Postman
  11. My Body Keeps Changing My Mind
  12. Breaking Up Is Hard to Do
  13. If I Had You
  14. All You Get From Love Is a Love Song
I've been wanting to put together an up-tempo one, myself, for a long time. Just haven't decided on which songs I want to include. I've been hesitant on the solo stuff, but there are a lot of good ones that require some thought, not only KC's, but RC's as well. You have provided a great selection, and most will be considered. However, I have never been too keen on their version of Breaking Up Is Hard To Do, so that one will likely be dismissed for my collection.

Back to the 60's

Somebody posted a compilation of songs the Beatles had also recorded.
They are all represented here, plus more.

1. Help
2. Dancing In The Street
3. Baby It's You
4. Get Together
5. Nowhere Man
6. California Dreamin'
7. There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
8. Please Mr. Postman
9. I'll Never Fall In Love Again
10. Can't Buy Me Love
11. Beechwood 4-5789
12. Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
13. Ticket To Ride
14. Bacharach-David Medley
I have since updated this compilation. See later post.

Carpenters Performing Great Songs From The 60's

1. Help!
2. Dancing In The Street
3. I'll Never Fall In Love Again
4. Get Together (the original Karen vocal from Your Navy Presents)
5. Hurting Each Other
6. There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
7. California Dreamin'
8. Nowhere Man
9. Baby, It's You
10. Beechwood 4-5789
11. (They Long To Be) Close To You
12. Jimmy Mack
13. Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing
14. Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
15. Can't Buy Me Love (from Your Navy Presents)
16. The End Of The World (mix I found on You-Tube, no DJ)
17. Please Mr. Postman
18. Our Day Will Come (mix I found on You-Tube, no DJ)
19. Reason To Believe
20. Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
21. Bacharach / David Medley
22. Ticket To Ride

For my next planned personal compilation, I'd like to assemble an assortment of songs that the Carpenters recorded before they became popular by other artists. For example: "I Just Fall In Love Again" was recorded by the Carpenters before Anne Murray made it into a hit of her own. There are quite a few songs that I am aware of this happening, but I have to admit, there may be more that I am unaware of. Any suggestions offered would be greatly appreciated. Here are a few that I though of: "Reason To Believe" (even tho other artists recorded this song before the Carpenters, their version still was made before Rod Stewart's hit version), "Can't Smile Without You", "Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again", "Touch Me When We're Dancing" (even tho this was a # 1 AC hit for them in 1981, Alabama's # 1 Country Hit in 1986 overshadowed theirs), and now my mind is drawing a blank...

The Carpenters: Baby It's You

1. Baby It's You
2. Beechwood 4-5789
3. Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
4. Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
5. Close To You (House of Goofus THG mix)
6. Dead Man's Curve/Johnny Angel/The Night Has A Thousand Eyes medley
7. Da Doo Ron Ron (Skylark edit)
8. Fun, Fun, Fun/The End of the World medley
9. Hurting Each Other
10. I'll Never Fall In Love Again
11. Jambalaya
12. Goofus
13. Jimmy Mack (unknown mix)(Skylark edit)
14. Little Girl Blue
15. Love Is Surrender
16. Reason To Believe
17. Our Day Will Come
18. Please Mr Postman
19. There's A Kind Of Hush
20. Help
21. Ticket To Ride
22. When I Fall In Love
23. Yesterday Once More
24. One Fine Day/Baby It's You reprise (Skylark edit)

Hi Everyone!

I had to take a break from participating in threads due to as people say "life happens" (s88t happens). Long story shorter: surgery, rehabilitation, partial recovery only, the discovery and onset of a hereditary disease that has no cure and thankfully is not fatal but has disabled me, and finally dealing with the forced end of my career and any kind of gainful employment. No sympathy just a word to the wise: plan for the future (financially) and plan for the unexpected (financially).

I have been in a good mood the past couple days as I have finally finished a compilation that has dogged me ever since I got those oldie edits from the Now & Then album minus the DJ edits. (Courtesy of the Readers Digest Carpenters compilation.) Those who make comps will share my enthusiasm.

I found that I was thrown off balance by some of my parameters/requirements:
1. This was an "oldies" theme comp. It wasn't; it was more standards & oldies pre-1969 & pre-Carpenters era. A standards only theme could also include contemporary songs in the Carpenters era (20/20 hindsight of course) which would have meant deleting songs as I would have had too many candidates when the 1960's oldies are included. This would also have put my theme all over the map.

2. I was stuck in the Now & Then format opening with Yesterday Once More and closing with it's reprise. I tossed that out yesterday; although ironically, close to finalizing the sequencing and choosing a title, I decided to close with a reprise!!! Originally I divorced One Fine Day from the Yesterday Once More reprise so that I could use the song anywhere in my comp. It ended up as my closer and then a brainstorm!!! (sarcasm). How about a reprise of my opening song and the (probable) title of the comp Baby It's You? When I Fall in Love was the other title choice. So, I used Audacity and created a light segue of One Fine Day into Baby It's You beginning with the instrumental bridge.

3. I realized that my comp was really a love story - Baby It's You - told with songs pre-1969 as much as simply a comp of standards & oldies - When I Fall In Love - competing title which implied American Songbook type standards.

I was also able to feature songs not included in any of my other comps.
1. Goofus!!! Oh my, this was always a "skip button" song for me and now I love it and I think it is a perfect addition to this comp as well as highlight.
2. Close To You (House of Goofus THG mix). That one begged to be included once I decided on using Goofus. Close to you also fit my parameters. Previously, I hadn't even thought to include Close to You unless I needed filler.
3. Dead Man's Curve, Johnny Angel, and The Night Has a Thousand Eyes were stitched into one track via Audacity as well as
4. Fun, Fun, Fun and The End of the World. Due to the relative brevity of the edits from Now & Then, I decided to keep most of them sequenced together. Da Doo Ron Ron, especially, does not sit well isolated by itself which explains why Bette Midler also choose to feature it in a medley rather than a solo recording.
5. Da Doo Ron Ron. No single edit was included on the Readers Digest comp. I was able to fashion a convincing beginning to the song. Again, via Audacity. I may have also given it a longer outro; I made this several years ago when I first began this project.
6. Jimmy Mack (unknown mix) (Skylark edit). I found this song, probably on YouTube. It has a more finished sound than the original though I wasn't pleased with the abrupt hard ending so I created a loop to give me a studio fade with the hard end intact with the song but faintly audible (only those of us with dog ears will hear it - like the final "Fame!" on Bowie's album version of Fame). Again, I probably added other small changes to this song but my memory evades me on this one. Skylark is my "mix/edit" nickname which also labels any of my edited songs as not original versions.
7. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town (1974 single version from the PBS collection). This song fit my parameters though I debated for a micro second whether to include a Christmas song. My main objective was including this song because it hasn't made an appearance on any of my other comps.
8. What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? Ditto my hesitancy to include a seasonal song but this didn't make it onto any other comps...yet.....
7/8. My comp was longer than CD length!!! I decided to drop the two seasonal songs as I know they will find their way onto the other comp project that is still dogging me which is my "Karen-vocals-only" Christmas CD.
9. Help. Another "skip button" song but I want to try and like this song. For me, it works best paired with Ticket To Ride. When listening, I found that the ending of Help which I think is an organ??? (Could someone "help" me?) leads nicely into the majestic solo piano intro of Ticket To Ride.

So there it is. The CD clocks in around 78 minutes. My post clocks in around two hours!!! I hope some of you find this of interest. Comments and questions are welcome. This is not written in stone and I can always make changes; the joy of CDR and computer software. Apologies to those who frown long posts. :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've begun watching reruns of I Love Lucy on the ME TV channel. I haven't seen them in decades probably except for a few specials. I do not remember seeing any of the shows featuring Little Ricky. What a cute and talented kid he was.

Imagine my surprise (and "Oh, no!") when Lucy and the gang, including Little Ricky, perform at a local benefit when they move to Connecticut, and the song they sing is Man Smart, Woman Smarter. Aye yi yi yi yi! I never gave that song a second thought as to it possibly being an oldie.

Okay, well, back to the drawing board on this compilation that I still haven't committed to disc yet. As luck would have it, I had some time available on my compilation though not enough for Man Smart, Woman Smarter until I dug it out and found that I had created an edited version several years ago. The song seems to go off in some weird directionless confusion about half way thru and my edit fades out to give the track a total time of 2:27 minutes. Short and sweet and does not wear out it's welcome at that length. I've slotted it right after everyone's favorite Carpenters' song Goofus.

This thread hasn't been posted on for a long while, and since I wasn't posting in 2012 when this thread was opened, I wanted to contribute!

This is one of my favorite compilations which fits on to a CD. It has some hits, but is mostly album tracks and in the case of two demos from Karen's 1979 solo sessions, some of it is unreleased, and Karen's solo version of I Need To Be In Love from 1978. I call this Fantasy Album #3.
Of course part of the fantasy is that everything would be finished, mixed in 2020 with current studio technology by Richard and his associates.

1) A Song For You - 11) Maybe It's You
2) Honolulu City Lights - 12) Ordinary Fool
3) Kiss Me The Way You did Last Night - 13) If I Had You (Solo)
4) I Won't Last a Day Without You - 14) Little Girl Blue
5) It's Really You (Solo) - 15) You're Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
6) California Dreamin' - 16) Something's Missing (Solo)
7) Don't Be Afraid - 17) All You get From Love Is A Love Song
8) You'll Love Me - 18) Those Good Old Dreams
9) Let Me Be The One - 19) I Need To Be In Love (1978 vocal) 10) Only Yesterday -
10) Only Yesterday - 20)Calling Occupants (single edit)

Last edited:
This is rather random, but I listened to my compilation ^ above ^ last night.

Listen to a "Song for You," and immediately after "Honolulu City Lights."
Emphasize on the vocal delivery. It shows how much Karen's vocals changed in those 6 years. Whether it was natural progression of an experienced singer displaying her vocal skills, or a vocalist struggling to sing the best she was capable of by that time. Of course changes started long before 1978. But these two songs to me represent two really different singers!

Does it mean Karen really wasn't fond of her early vocals, or maybe didn't realize how wonderful and raw those early quickly done takes were?
But I am also a fan of those late 70's vocals, done without the pressures of touring. Did the luxury of time start to change where the Carpenters were headed? Too much time to perfect? Other opinions?

This is rather random, but I listened to my compilation ^ above ^ last night.

Listen to a "Song for You," and immediately after "Honolulu City Lights."
Emphasize on the vocal delivery. It shows how much Karen's vocals changed in those 6 years. Whether it was natural progression of an experienced singer displaying her vocal skills, or a vocalist struggling to sing the best she was capable of by that time. Of course changes started long before 1978. But these two songs to me represent two really different singers!

Does it mean Karen really wasn't fond of her early vocals, or maybe didn't realize how wonderful and raw those early quickly done takes were?
But I am also a fan of those late 70's vocals, done without the pressures of touring. Did the luxury of time start to change where the Carpenters were headed? Too much time to perfect? Other opinions?

I know what you mean John.
1975 for Horizon is the last time i REALLY think her voice was at it's most appealing.
Before then it wasn't as (without wanting to be rude ) contrived or full of technique. She just sang and it had a bit of edginess to it and rawness, from the heart.
It's almost after that, she thought about it too much.

However, there are exceptions, I love the vocals on christmas portrait and Passage.

Dusty Springfield did the same thing, she said she developed her breathy soul voice and thats what she wanted and preferred.

I remember listening to MIA and being disappointed, apart from being buried in the mix, the vocals were light years away from , as you say, A Song for You for example.
I think until 1978 Karen maybe chose to sing that way, after then i dunno if she could.
There again on Music Music Music, someday sounded really good.

Back
Top Bottom