🎵 AotW Pete Jolly - GIVE A DAMN (SP-4184)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 3 25.0%

Votes: 5 41.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Pete Jolly
GIVE A DAMN

A&M SP-4184

sp4184.jpg

Released 1968

Format: Vinyl/Reel-to-Reel/8-Track

Produced by Herb Alpert and George Jerman

Songs:
  • 1. Little Green Apples (Bobby Russell) - 2:55
    2. What The World Needs Now (Hal David/Burt Bacharach) - 3:14
    3. Trolley Song (Hugh Martin/Ralph Blane) - 8:37
    4. The Look Of Love (Hal David/Burt Bacharach) - 5:01
    5. Whistle While You Work (Larry Morey/Frank Churchill) - 4:44
    6. Give A Damn (Stuart Scharf) - 2:55

Musicians:
Pete Jolly - Piano and Trio Arrangements
Chuck Berghofer - Bass
Nick Ceroli - Drums
Dee Barton - Horn Arrangements
Conte Candoli - Trumpet
Jay Daversa - Trumpet
Bob Edmondson - Trombone
Bob Brookmeyer - Trombone

Recorded "Live" at Donte's in North Hollywood, California
Engineers: George Jerman and Larry Levine
Photography: Guy Webster (front cover), George Jerman (back cover)
Art Direction: Tom Wilkes
Pete Jolly's clothes by: Mr. Guy

Capt. Bacardi

It's a good, Small Club, Live Setting... A&M's FIRST Live Recording, I should say... A pretty small set and somehow presented as if Jolly and his troops just set-up, played and then left... Surely there must've been more than this which should've been documented and could've been put out by now on CD; perhaps entitled: The Lost Live Recordings...

A still modest set of songs in a modest, but still "Lively" setting... I do hope we do hear more about this set sometime in the future--Rediscovered and Revisited...

Dave

Don't care for the horn overdubs on this album--Jolly usually worked in the trio format, and the horns just seem tacked on as an afterthought. But at least you can hear how his live gigs sounded back then. The title track, however, has a lot of overdubbed applause (cheering, at a jazz gig? :rolleyes: ), which makes me think it may have started life as a studio track.

Donte's in North Hollywood, California is also where Gabor Szabo made a Live Set... Unfortunately that is a recording which has yet to be released... I believe that it is also likely to be incomplete...

I don't know the reason for the seemingly "incompleteness" here; this album really has Potential! The track listing seems promising and there are enough good ideas that Jolly should've probably made a few other Studio Albums before really releasing this project...

Dave

I suppose there's two ways to look at this album. The first thing I think of is what a gutsy move by A&M at the time to release something like this. After all, A&M was only around for 6 years and this isn't exactly a commercial smash. The other thing I think of is what a bit of a missed opportunity to showcase Pete jolly's talents fully. Not that this is a bad album, mind you, since Jolly definitely has his moments on songs as "Trolley Song". But the additional horns and brevity of the album almost have a Creed Taylor feel to it (okay, not quite that bad). Still, this album has its moments. 3 stars from me.

Capt. Bacardi

A short album, clocking in around 25 minutes. The sound of the trio here is closest to what he recorded and performed elsewhere under the trio format. I know the applause and yelling on "Give A Damn" is overdubbed. But, still not sure about the horns--either way, they seem out of place here.

"Whistle While You Work" is a new performance of a song he originally recorded on RCA, with the same blistering piano work. Very much a trademark tune (of his style), and definitely my favorite on this album!

Give a Damn is a pretty good follow-up to Pete’s previous A&M release “Herb Alpert presents”. I like the live piano bar feeling of this LP but as Rudy pointed out this record is to short; heck it only has 6 songs. To make up for this small short coming I made a CD-R twofer with both Herb Presents and Give a Damn. They’re both similar in style and go well together. Favorite song on this album – The Look of Love.

Mike

Hey, Jay-Juan, I was checking out your friends CD (Its A Cool Heat) with Pete Jolly -- great track list and reviews. I just put in an order for it at CD Baby. Thanks for the heads up on this.

Regards,
Mike

This album has always been a teaser for me. I keep wanting more of things like "Trolley Song" but it just isn't there. I also think the horns were overdubbed, but it's just not a good fit. Jolly's playing is solid, but it seems this album was a missed opportunity.

Capt. Bacardi

Back
Top Bottom