🎷 AotW: Jazz Pete Jolly - HERB ALPERT PRESENTS... (SP-4145)

Jazz releases not on the CTi or Horizon labels.

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 5 33.3%

Votes: 4 26.7%

Votes: 2 13.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Pete Jolly
HERB ALPERT PRESENTS PETE JOLLY

A&M SP-4145

sp4145.jpg

Released 1968

Format: Vinyl/Reel-to-Reel/8-Track

Produced by Herb Alpert

Songs:
  • 1. Windows Of The World (B. Bacharach/H. David) - 4:57
    2. Serenata (M. Parish/L. Anderson) - 3:07
    3. Dindi (Jin-jee) (Jobim/Gilbert) - 4:09
    4. You've Got To Be There (E. Levitt/R. Sexter) - 3:07
    5. Like A Lover (Cammy/Motta/A. Bergman/M. Bergman) - 3:03
    6. Lonely Girl (Hefti/Livingston/Evans) - 5:32
    7. Amy's Theme (John S. Sebastian) - 2:58
    8. Love So Fine (T. Asher/R. Nichols) - 2:40
    9. For Carl (Leroy Vinnegar) - 3:58
    10. Dancing In The Street (Stevenson/Gaye) - 3:06

Arranged and Conducted by Marty Paich

Musicians:
Pete Jolly - Piano
Earl Palmer - Drums
John Pisano - Guitar
Chuck Berghofer - Bass

Engineers: Larry Levine and Thorn Nogard

Album Design: By Corporate Head
Art Director: Tom Wilkes
Photography: Guy Webster
Liner notes by Herb Alpert

Capt. Bacardi

Always admired A&M Studios' House Pianist, The late-Pete Jolly's Jazz/Easy Listening/Cocktail Lounge stylings... Very excellent and always inspiring set of tunes, done Instrumentally...

Unusual to see the album open with the Burt Bacharach/Hal David-written Windows Of The World, which would open Jimmie Rodgers' second A&M album and include Love So Fine, The Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends "claim to fame", which Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass would later do, as well as The Lovin' Spoonful's Amy's Theme, which would be later covered by arranger/composer Nick DeCaro as it is to see Martha & The Vandellas' Dancin' In The Street put right at the end and despite it being a Fast Song, it is still presented in a Slow, Easy-Going Style... And don't forget Dindi, later done by Chris Montez, whom Jolly had accompanied... (on his LP, Foolin' Around LP/SP 4138) Not to mention Like A Lover, a Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 Chestnut...

Something else, or SOMEONE else who also Wouldn't have Existed if Herb Alpert Hadn't!

Dave

I'm baffled why this album has never been released on CD. So much c--p is offered by the reissue houses, it would seem album of his three on A&M would see the light of day, if only on iTunes. Look at the rest of the Pete Jolly catalog that's in print. Talk about obscure!

I would have a 2-disc set titled PETE JOLLY: THE A&M YEARS, containing SPs 4145, 4184 and 3033 in their entirety -- along with the bonus material I feel certain was omitted from GIVE A DAMN in order to cut it to 28 minutes.

Point of information: how did SP 4145 become AOTW again? Part of the repeated CTI/Jazz series? Just curious,
JB

LPJim said:
Point of information: how did SP 4145 become AOTW again? Part of the repeated CTI/Jazz series?

Yup. This is the second go around of the jazz AOTWs, this time in chronological order. So there will be several repeats.

Capt. Bacardi

I bought this one back when it was fairly new (on 8-track, I think!) because of the "Herb Alpert Presents" in the title. I didn't like it too much at the time.....probably expected it to be more pop and less jazz.

This is another one that I feel like I'd enjoy more if I heard it now with my more mature ears, so yeah, I wish it was on CD too.

Every month I check the new releases at Revola Records. The only reason I do this is in the hope that I’ll see the Pete Jolly A&M albums there as CD reissues.

Why “Herb Alpert Presents Pete Jolly” and “Give A Damn” have never made the leap to CD is colossal mystery to me. “Seasons” I can understand, but not the other two. This is a great injustice to music lovers all over the world.

This Pete Jolly release is one of my most played. I have it on my I-Pod, and find it relaxing and great music. One of the hallmarks of a great artist, is that he/she makes it look "easy". Pete did just that, but we know that nothing could be further from the truth! Pete paid his dues playing at clubs, and being one of L.A.'s most sought after studio musicians. His playing style was quite distinctive, and the way he managed the dynamics of that instrument is unparalleled. Herb Alpert has to be thanked for giving many great musicians a chance to record. Pete will be missed for his fantastic music, and his greatness. I too would love to hear this lp reissued on CD with proper remastering. :love:

The style on this album is actually very different from his normal 'trio" recordings--there is a lot of instrumental overdubbing. It works really well on this album, but not so well on "Give A Damn", which apparently has horn overdubs on the tracks recorded live at a club. If you want to here more excellent Pete Jolly, seek out some of his pre-A&M RCA recordings--they're fantastic. And his latest recordings are also a treat to the ear as well. He fits comfortably into the piano jazz trio format. It's no wonder Chuck Berghofer was his bass player for decades. :thumbsup:

Pete Jolly had ties here in Phoenix. I went to listen to him a couple of times in the early 1970's and some ol' timer players used to talk a lot about him.

The "Herb Alpert Presents" is not on Itunes or Amazon. Has it ever been released to CD?

Later.........J

The only Pete Jolly A&M on CD that I know of is "Seasons". Or was--it's probably out of print by now. Pete's RCA albums were available on CD for awhile--they're quite good also, and are a lot more like the trio recordings and live performances he'd done over the years. His later recordings on the VSOP label are good also. And don't forget he was a part of Shorty Rogers' Giants, and is often featured prominently on piano solos.

If they ever did this one on a CD, they could easily put "Give A Damn" on as extra tracks, since that album was under a half hour long.

I have Pete's Live In L.A. - The Red Chimney and Sherry's Bar Recordings on the VSOP label, as well as a CD by the Lighthouse All Stars called Eight Brothers (an excellent disc, incidentally) that Pete is on (Candid label).

Capt. Bacardi

Mike said:
Some interesting remarks on this album at the Larry Levine site. I notice that they copied them word for word from the A&M Corner

The Levine family's webmaster, Jos Megroedt, is a good acquaintance of mine. Through a mutual acquaintance of ours, Jos got the permission from Levine's family to work on his site, and I told him he was welcome to use whatever he needed from A&M Corner, since there is little information collected about Larry at any one place on the web. He was such a central figure to A&M's sound during the formative years, it's the least I could do. :thumbsup: In fact, he may be able to help us out in return, via Levine's site, should we need to know if any credit is due for his engineering talents.

Jos and I probably owe each other a few Belgian "suds"...I know he's partial to L'Achouffe. :D

It's a good site, Rudy, I've been poking around it and have been thoroughly enjoying myself. It was kind of you to share and they do give credit to the A&M Corner whenever the use the Corner's data.

Mike

Jos is pretty cool himself. :D I know he's been asking around for more info about Larry Levine--I believe he even posted here once or twice in case we had anything to offer.

He's one of those that had to take early retirement in the I.T. industry. This is how he likes to stay busy these days, along with traveling. :thumbsup:

Have never heard the LP. (Save it... Look, I know; but, through life there are gonna be those LPs that just slip through over time.) Nevertheless, I do have two questions for the A&M vets out there:

(1) I understand this to be a "jazz" (or at least "pop jazz") LP. If so, I wonder why Herb produced rather than handing it over to Creed Taylor? Ha! Well, I guess I may have answered my own question: Perhaps Jolly was under contract to A&M while all the CTi artists were signed to Cti -- the CTi LPs merely being "distributed" by A&M. (Then again, Paul Desmond (for 1 LP anyway) and Qunicy Jones both continue to record for A&M after Creed split in 1970.)

(2) The "Herb Alpert Presents" banner is striking. Aside from the Brasil '66 A&M debute, are there any other LPs carrying this unique banner?

Since '09, I've picked up the LP. Enjoyable for sure -- and it's always nice to watch that '60s A&M logo spinning round and round...

I prefer Jolly's trio recordings, but this one is a nice diversion when I'm in the mood.

It's a shame the uploads I did can't sound better, but YouTube's lossy compression kind of ruins the sound quality.

I feel like Nick Ceroli and Julius Wechter could have given this album the kick in the butt that it needed.

Back
Top Bottom