Pete Jolly on M. McPartland's "Piano Jazz"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimac51

Pete Jolly guests on the current installment of Marion McPartland's "Piano Jazz". If you are not familiar with this show,the set up is simple-Ms. McPartland on one channel,the guest on the other. A little schmoozing(Marion always loves the current guest,but,in reality,they are great),a little duetting,schmoozing,a little soloing,schmoozing and a little duetting-low key and elegant. NPR provides an episode of "Piano Jazz every Tuesday for broadcast on an afilliated station to play during a two week period. The Jolly show has been in circulation since June 10th,so check your local listening area to catch it. I suppose possible webcasting may be available from various stations listed. A list of stations is available at www.pianojazz.org,along with the playlist for that show. I am not sure how current this show may be since archived shows play a big part of the season. Also,the "related links" spot is interesting.... Mac

Hmmm...interesting...might explain why visits are up. :wink:

This is cool, though--in the big scheme of things, Pete Jolly tends to get overlooked. I know our Mr. Bill has seen him at one of his gigs and I, too, want to catch him the next time I get to L.A. I don't have too many of his discs yet, but what I do have stretches all the way from some late 50's RCA recordings with his trio and with Shorty Rogers, up to a few of his latest releases. And of course, the A&Ms. :wink:

The father of a friend of mine, who works for the Air Force bands in the DC area (a music copyist and trombonist), took accordion lessons from Pete Jolly's father back when they lived in Connecticut all those years ago. Small world.

After hearing parts of the show via two seperate NPR stations(I taped one,too),the show was done in 1986,but the music is,of course,timeless. The parts of conversation that I have caught do not containany A&M references,but an interesting tidbit on an RCA recording of the '50s. Marty Paich(as leader),Jimmy Rowles,John(ny) Williams and pete did an album combining all four pianos on each tune. And,yes,Pete verifies that this is John "Star Wars" Williams playing while in Hollywood as a session guy before his scoring days began. Oddly enough,during the Quad rage of the 1970s,Marian McPartland recorded a similar four piano album featuring Roland Hanna,Hank Jones and Dick Hyman(I have a standard stereo copy of this-it's good but it sounds better on paper). During the hour of nine selections,Pete performs two signature "Jolly sound" pieces: "Oleo" and "Never Never Land". A nice radio present for the old man on this Father's Day. Mac

On one of his RCA albums, he does a blistering version of "Whistle While You Work". He also re-recorded it on a later album (one of his VSOP CDs, I think), and it's nice to know he can still handle the ivories the way he does. :)

Rudy said:
On one of his RCA albums, he does a blistering version of "Whistle While You Work". He also re-recorded it on a later album (one of his VSOP CDs, I think), and it's nice to know he can still handle the ivories the way he does. :)

It was on his A&M 'middle' album, Give A Damn. Some outfit called "Rudy's Corner" has a discography at: http://www.amcorner.com/jolly/index.php3

Harry
...giving a damn, online...

When I get to one of his shows, I'll request it. :D

Mac, Marian is a very favorite pianist! I'm so glad some people here at the forum are able to listen to her show. We've never been able to get it very clearly here. I must have about 10 or so of her albums, some of which are recordings of the radio show. The one with Eubie Blake is a winner! And George Shearing is also a favorite. Of her un-radio recordings, "At Hickory House" is outstanding! Years ago I remember seeing a jazz piano "competition" with Marian, George Shearing and Eubie Blake on TV. Of course, it was pre VCR days, so all I have is memories. How nice it would be if they came out with a CD or video of it.

I made myself a note to try and get 88.3 FM out of Newark, NJ on Thursday at 7 pm. It's always worth a try.

Marilyn

Rudy said:
When I get to one of his shows, I'll request it. :D

He's good with the requests. WHne I spoke to him between sets I mentioned "Give A Damn" was one of my favorite tunes and that I had used his version of "The Trolley Song" on my answering machine -- a spoof of Mr Rogers called "Mr Bill's Neighborhood" and he (and the trio) did both at the front of their next set. We exchanged courtesy nods and I left with three autographed Jolly LPs. A great night and great evening meal!

--Mr Bill
noting this was the second time I dragged my wife from San Diego to LA to see an A&M artist ina small venue, the previous to see Julius promoting New Deal...

Speaking of autographs, you know what would be the ideal autographed photo? That photo from the back of Herb Alpert Presents, signed in one of those gold pens. :D

Neil-The VSOP version of "Whistle" actually predates the A&M version of a few years. It was recorded at The Red Chimney 2/27/65. Without a disography of his RCA material,we don't know if he did this before-it is possible.I have SWEET SEPTEMBER,1963, on Ava,TOO MUCH,BABY on Columbia album(with "Same Ol' Huckleberry Finn",aka "Up Cherry St.) from the latter-60s,and a best from the Ava releases on Mainstream,as well as the three A&M albums. The VSOP CD,PETE JOLLY & FRIENDS covers Ava material. An interesting tidbit- Pete's radio hit,'Sweet September",was originally a small group recording that was "sweetened with an orchestra. The original Ava recording is sans orchestra,the Mainstream and VSOP versions have the orchestra. About the same time,Bill Evans was forced(probably at gunpoint)by Creed Taylor to mimic Pete's version,I think with Claus Ogerman backing(they were making a pop album for MGM at the time that is not part of the Complete Verve box)while MGM distributed Pete's record. For a while,it was Bill's version that I had in my collection,not knowing that Pete's was the hit(and the one I originally heard on the radio). In time,I became a fan of both players,becoming obsessed with Bill Evans(about 40 CDs). It is easier to be obsessed with Bill's material partially because about 90% of his recorded output is currently in print(How many artists have at least six legal box sets of their work? How many artists have CDs made of practicing?) Alas,Pete's recorded output is minuscular in comparison,hence my excitement about Pete's radio broadcast. Mac

Mac, I was able to get this on 88.3 FM this evening. Not what you could call wonderful reception, but I heard better than half the show. (Bob and I went out for dinner.) It was absolutely wonderful. They were terrific together! I tried to find out how old this particular show is, and came up empty. Somewhere around here I have a catalog of all the Piano Jazz shows available on CD. Maybe Tim could help us out. I struck out on the internet trying to find it. Either it's so old it's out of print, or it's too new!

Marian and Pete, if you're out there reading this, I'd like to tell you how much I admire you both! Thanks for the great entertainment!

Marilyn

Marilyn-The Jolly show was oriiginally broadcast in 1986. As far as I know,some of Marian's "Piano Jazz" CDs have been cut out and a few have been added and have new artwork. Evidently,according to the label Jazz Alliance(part of Concord Jazz) there are "Piano Jazz" CDs featuring:Dizzy Gillespie,Rosemary Clooney,Carmen McRae,Bill Evans,Chick Corea,Oscar Peterson and Dave Brubeck,as well as an album of guest duets,"Just Friends",with Geri Allen and five others. Marian has more than a few others via Concord,including a Maybeck entry. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom