Pete Jolly's A&M albums featured on All About Jazz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Pete Jolly’s three A&M albums (Herb Alpert Presents, Give A Damn, and Seasons) are featured in an article this week on All About Jazz. The article also gives a brief overview of the jazz role of A&M, including the CTi connection. Give it a read. Here is “Windows of the World,” from Jolly’s album debut on …
Read the whole post here.

I Have his " Herb Alpert presents"Lp along with an almost perfect needle drop cd copy. Its my favorite of the 3 He did for A&M sadly i havent heard much of the other two follow ups. Maybe a song or two from "Seasons". But they are very difficult to find. But always worth it.

The only one that doesn't sound quite "on" is Give A Damn. It was a live recording and the AAJ article claims it involves the Marty Paich group, but to me it sounds more like Jolly's trio with some horn overdubs after the fact (and the fact that the horn arrangements don't really resemble anything I've ever heard Paich do). "Whistle While You Work" is a song from his RCA days and IMHO is probably the most representative of how the bulk of Jolly's work throughout the decades has sounded.

I enjoyed reading the article... Gobs of stuff on Jolly (born Peter Ceragioli), Alpert, (did I read there that he and company turned down EVERYTHING that was drug music/bad trip/hippie music?!) and A&M...

A great read! Thanks...

-- Dave

And at least in 1968-1969 Jolly made Cocktail Lounge Jazz a good thing... (particular on Herb Alpert Presents..., his debut on A&M...)

1970, experimental jazz, more in the manner of Beaver & Kraus, than Mahavishnu Orchestra/John McLaughlin, on the ethereal Seasons album...

The Donte's gig on Give A Damn! was most-likely recorded by Wally Heider Mobile--a feat that led to Bones Howe hiring Pete for some session work at Wally Heider Studios, backing the Sandpipers and the 5th Dimension...

While there were endless runs on the A&M Lot, doing occasional back-up work there...

-- Dave

But they are very difficult to find. But always worth it.
It took me a few years to get Herb Alpert Presents on vinyl, but that was also before good sites like Discogs came along. Prior to that, I had found it on an A&M reel, but like other A&M reels I have had, it sounded lousy, with no output above 8kHz.

Here is an interesting album:

R-4892077-1378651419-7701.jpeg.jpg

This is a German issue of the same record.

I doubt it, but that corrugated steel is often used in industrial buildings. The Jolly photo could have been taken somewhere on A&M's lot in or near a storage building for all we know. I doubt anyone is going to haul a piano to somewhere like that just to grab a photo, so it was probably nearby (or on) the A&M lot, or near somewhere that Pete was performing at.

The Edu Lobo photo could have been anywhere; it only required one portable Edu Lobo and a photographer, and paint to match the pants. :D The foundation of the building in Edu's photo is somewhat crumbling, so it could be just about anywhere I suppose.

I concur with you Rudy. Those A&M Reels were junk i had one of those which i picked up for a buck in the early 90s Thankfully i had the particular one on vinyl. So i recycled the tape by simply Wiping it ( erasing it) and reuse it for recording experiments.

What's puzzling about the reels is that I have a few on the Verve label, duplicated at the same Ampex (St. Charles, IL) facility, and they sound better. Still can't touch the vinyl or CD of course, but these at least made some decent dubs to digital. I have a couple of RCA reels. One was a Red Seal classical title (Dorati, Firebird/Petroushka IIRC) and sounds pretty good. If I recall, RCA used to make their own tape stock...? This reel was from the 70s as it has the newer "block letters" logo.

RCA did indeed make their own tape stocks as well as microphones ( they were so dominant in the 40s and thru the 60s) for example . NBC at the time was owned by RCA They refused to use anything but RCA products. Especially The microphones until Electrovoice began to dominate in the 60s and 70s .However RCA Was dominant in electronics in general in stereo systems. TV's. recording tapes ( Audio and later video) but a recording is only as good as the source ( master) it is derived from. And Rudy. it sounds like you have quite a variety of audio goodies. I imagine for you and your collection in a sense, " Everyday is Christmas".

RCA did indeed make their own tape stocks as well as microphones ( they were so dominant in the 40s and thru the 60s) for example . NBC at the time was owned by RCA They refused to use anything but RCA products. Especially The microphones until Electrovoice began to dominate in the 60s and 70s .However RCA Was dominant in electronics in general in stereo systems. TV's. recording tapes ( Audio and later video) but a recording is only as good as the source ( master) it is derived from. And Rudy. it sounds like you have quite a variety of audio goodies. I imagine for you and your collection in a sense, " Everyday is Christmas".

Capitol Studios is another one that has an interesting history. Each studio had its own preferences, especially when they moved to stereo recording. I do think it's interesting how RCA was heavily into both the equipment and the music, and the equipment business slowly died off over time. They even have one for the "dead formats" collection. :laugh: In the 50s, they created a cartridge-based tape system which was easy to use. But it never really took off.

hi guys how you all doing. I hope I am posting this in the right thread. I was at a goodwill store today and bought a single for $1.00 it is on ava records it is the pete jolly trio little bird and the flip falling in love with love ct-116. it has some fine

scatches on it like when the record would drop from a stack of records on a record player. so does any one know what year that was released?

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom