Phat Alpert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Wallace

Saw a fine show at the Kennedy Center in DC this evening. As part of their Millennium Stage series of free early-evening performances, they presented “the leading Herb Alpert Repertory Ensemble,” Phat Alpert, a local group of guys wanting to keep the spirit of Alpert’s arrangements alive.

It’s a six-piece outfit, with the two trumpets (and flugels), trombone, bass, guitar, and drums. Two of the horn players dabbled on marimba-voiced keyboards a bit. The trumpeters had the arrangements down pat and were very impressive. They did the expected tunes, opening with “A Taste of Honey,” on which they stretched out and took solos. They also did “Spanish Flea,” “Mexican Shuffle,” “Whipped Cream,” “Lollipops and Roses,” “The Lonely Bull,” “This Guy’s,” a Masekela-Alpert tune I wasn’t familiar with (though I must get familiar—it was tremendous), “Rise,” and closed with “Tijuana Taxi” (featuring a kid’s high-pitched toy horn—very amusing).

They also did, “for the younger generation,” songs the TJB never did, but could’ve: Nirvana tunes “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and “Come As You Are,” arranged in the TJB style. Both were hilarious. “Teen Spirit” was brilliant.

What really surprised me, though, were the relative obscurities they did: “More and More Amor,” “Mexican Road Race,” “Crawfish,” “Thanks for the Memory,” and “All My Loving.” For an Alpert fanatic like me, it was heavenly.

I hung around after the show and chatted with Zack Smith, trumpeter and one of the co-founders, and asked him about those choices. He said he knew they had to do the popular stuff, but really wanted to include some of the “cooler” things too. I was thrilled. Phat Alpert is not his full-time gig; he tours nationwide with the Dixie Power Trio, a Cajun/zydeco band. He’s not sure when Phat Alpert will be performing again, but I’ll be keeping a lookout.

I’m going on…just thought folks would be interested in hearing about a group of dedicated guys keeping the TJB sound and spirit alive.

Cheers,

Tom

I checked them out on the internet as well and fouind several sites, but I would like to hear them, any suggestions of sites where you can listen to samples of their music? The concert sounded like a fun evening, maybe they will tour someday so more of us can see them.

Hi Shirley,

The link in Phil's post should bring you to the Kennedy Center's page on Phat Alpert. Next to the photo (which was taken last night), you have the option to "play this performance," which I believe ought to give you a taste of the show (can't test it from my work computer). I do believe it was broadcast live on the web last night, so this must be the archive. Hope this works for you.

Forgot to mention that they also did "A Quiet Tear," which was nice.

Tom

Hi Tom,
This is strange, I used that link and found the site, clicked on the "Play performance" option and my AOL media player came up, it connected and said it was playing the song, the seconds ticked off but no sound. I tried turning my volume up, nothing, tried going to another music site and playing something else and it worked. Will someone else try going to that Kennedy Center site and play the Phat Albert performance. I don't know if it is just me, maybe I am doing something wrong,but if so I don't know what it could be. :confused:

Bummer! Looks like I'd have to install that #$(*@&$ RealPlayer to hear this. I refuse to install that intrusive garbage on my computer. Oh well...someone tell me how it sounds. :confused:

-= N =-

Rudy said:
Bummer! Looks like I'd have to install that #$(*@&$ RealPlayer to hear this. I refuse to install that intrusive garbage on my computer. Oh well...someone tell me how it sounds. :confused:

It's not working on Real Player, either. I get what everyone else is getting - silence.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Snooky Young - Horn Of Plenty

Went to the Lincoln Center Web site and the audio / video of the concert is now working. I was only able to listen to about 15 minutes, but it is very interesting.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom