Phoebe Bridgers does "Goodbye To Love"

July 1 Billboard write-up:
"Phoebe Bridgers is paying homage to pop legends The Carpenters with a dreamy reinterpretation of the sibling duo’s 1972 single
“Goodbye to Love.” The song appears on the soundtrack for the animated film Minions: The Rise of Gru, which hits theaters Friday."
"Bridgers’
subdued, gentle multi-tracked vocals skate across a piano progression before the song explodes into a lounge music fever dream, complete with swirling psychedelic synth accents. (The Carpenters’ original version of the tune was celebrated for its use of a distorted guitar solo — a unique production choice for the soft rock genre at the time. Sadly, the fuzz is absent from Bridgers’ take, replaced instead by a woozy horn lead)..."

Here:

Carpenters charting today:
Goodbye To Love
Shazam:
#116 Indonesia
Album: Gold: Greatest Hits
iTunes:
#45 Japan
#68 Sri Lanka
#73 Singapore
Album: The Singles 1969-1973
iTunes:
#69 United States

I might add my own two-cents, my assessment:
The Carpenters' original is much more than merely "lush." It is emotionally devastating.
The new Bridgers' cover --in my opinion--bypasses everything that made the original timeless !

The Songs on the Minions: Rise of Gru Soundtrack, Ranked​

#5. “Goodbye to Love,” Phoebe Bridgers
"Yes, the Phoebe Bridgers industrial complex got me again.
This stripped-down cover of the Carpenters’ lush original is the one moment on the album that might make you emotional.
Bridgers eschewing the guitars of Punisher for a straight-up piano ballad is exciting, especially since she manages to evoke the soft,
early-’70s feeling that is inherent to “Goodbye to Love” without losing the simple devastation that makes a Phoebe song a Phoebe song."

More:

Back
Top Bottom