Piano Picker/You're Just in Love/Those Good Old Dreams. . .the same riff???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ullalume

Those Good Old Dreams is one of my all-time favourite tracks. . .loved it from the first listen, and love it now. I also love the intro/fade out riff (for want of a better word).

You know. . . do, do, do, do, dooooooo. . .do, do, do, do, doooooo. He's already mentioned that he crafted this little tune for You're Just in Love in early '80 and then re-used it later that year for TGOD

BUT. . .can't believe I've never noticed this before, but he also uses the same riff in Piano Picker in '72

"And it got me. . . right where I am (do, do, do, do, do, dooooo)
this is me, playin' the piano (do, do, do, do, dooooo)

It's slightly different, but pretty damn close.

Anyone else ever notice this.

Richard and his ridiculously good vocal arrangements! TGOD is only listenable to my ears because of them. Karen's voice doubled into the choruses is just the best kind of ear candy. His rhythm arrangements could get awfully saccharine but his vocal arrangements saved the tunes every time.

Ed

Actually, Ed, though I've written," do, do, do, do, doooo" (pathetic, I know) it's not a vocal line, but a combination of guitar for the descending notes and a woodwind for the ascending ones, I think.

Actually, Ed, though I've written," do, do, do, do, doooo" (pathetic, I know) it's not a vocal line, but a combination of guitar for the descending notes and a woodwind for the ascending ones, I think.

I know. My comment was a bit of a non-sequitor. I should have said as much. Sorry...LOL!

Ed

Whereas the figure you're talking about in "Piano Picker" is actually a little different than the other two tunes believe it or not, Richard *has* acknowledged the fact that he used essentially the same figure in "Those Good Old Dreams" and "You're Just In Love" by simply saying "I guess it's okay to steal from yourself"...I'd say, YES, especially if you're Richard Carpenter :wink:

Love this thread. I wonder if RC or KC borrowed elements on other songs? It's been speculated that Karen, ad-libbing, "DeShannon is back..." at the end of "Boat To Sail" was an answer to Toni Tennille's "Sedaka's back" at the end of "Love Will Keep Us Together." Not exactly the same idea, but this thread got me to thinking...

On 'borrowing' elements, I've mentioned this before, that the toy piano intro on Rainbow Connection seems to have a few notes from Somewhere Over the Rainbow (the part that goes "Some day I'll wish upon a star...").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom