Pirated Herb Alpert CDs & Downloads

I'm guessing that the b-side of "Without Her", "Sandbox" may have beaten GREATEST HITS to the misspelling of Mr. Alpert's name with an erroneous "b".

R-2015412-1532882159-1802.jpeg.jpg
I didn't know about that one I never had this particular single thanks for setting me straight Harry I now stand corrected.

Bringing up this abomination again:

61q2lIBoq6L._SS500_PIPJStripe-Robin-Large-V2,TopLeft,0,0.jpg

If you look at the titles, it's a rip-off of THE BEAT OF THE BRASS, with added songs, but that's not what brought me to post this.

I was reading something elsewhere about streaming music, and thought I'd revisit Pandora, the only streaming "service" I'd ever signed up with. A few years ago, I played around with it and set up a station around Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass.

So I found my way in and started up the "station" and was treated to the Mort Stevens "Hawaii Five-O Theme" and then "Bittersweet Samba" and something else I don't recall at the moment. Following that it was back to Herb and "This Guys In Love With You", and the image above appeared on screen.

As I listened - I had headphones on - it sounded weird. Herb's voice was coming from both channels, but not in sync or something. Usually on this track, in headphones, Herb's voice is centered, as if inside your own head, but here I was hearing him on the left and again on the right.

Checking out the Amazon listing of this "album" where it's available as a download, I found that indeed, the file they are selling - or at least using as a demo - has that weird - almost duophonic sound to it with Herb's voice coming from two locations.

Checking other songs from the source on Amazon, it seemed that all of the tracks from THE BEAT OF THE BRASS sound that way, with Herb's trumpet coming from a dual location.

In other words, whoever put this abomination together first futzed with the sound, you know, one of those "I can remaster this at home and make it sound better" types. There are all kinds of filters with sound-editing software that can mangle a track like this, and it's obvious to me that that's what was done here.

Just another reason to avoid this kind of counterfeiting.

I've noticed before that that collection contains a non-Herb track ("Music to Watch Girls By") but I don't think I spotted until today, that they didn't even get the title of that song correct!

Bringing up this abomination again:

61q2lIBoq6L._SS500_PIPJStripe-Robin-Large-V2,TopLeft,0,0.jpg

If you look at the titles, it's a rip-off of THE BEAT OF THE BRASS, with added songs, but that's not what brought me to post this.

I was reading something elsewhere about streaming music, and thought I'd revisit Pandora, the only streaming "service" I'd ever signed up with. A few years ago, I played around with it and set up a station around Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass.

So I found my way in and started up the "station" and was treated to the Mort Stevens "Hawaii Five-O Theme" and then "Bittersweet Samba" and something else I don't recall at the moment. Following that it was back to Herb and "This Guys In Love With You", and the image above appeared on screen.

As I listened - I had headphones on - it sounded weird. Herb's voice was coming from both channels, but not in sync or something. Usually on this track, in headphones, Herb's voice is centered, as if inside your own head, but here I was hearing him on the left and again on the right.

Checking out the Amazon listing of this "album" where it's available as a download, I found that indeed, the file they are selling - or at least using as a demo - has that weird - almost duophonic sound to it with Herb's voice coming from two locations.

Checking other songs from the source on Amazon, it seemed that all of the tracks from THE BEAT OF THE BRASS sound that way, with Herb's trumpet coming from a dual location.

In other words, whoever put this abomination together first futzed with the sound, you know, one of those "I can remaster this at home and make it sound better" types. There are all kinds of filters with sound-editing software that can mangle a track like this, and it's obvious to me that that's what was done here.

Just another reason to avoid this kind of counterfeiting.
Exactly And I notice something amiss just listening to the samples I still remember the ripoff of TJB volume 2 called " Spanish Harlem & Other delights" from a few years ago which also had tracks from The Lonely bull and hearing the samples they all sounded like they were in mono but not true mono they sounded like the left channel which had the main trumpet and the other instruments faintly in the background and at the time volume 2 wasn't available in physical CD but to me it was a cheap counterfeit just like the above Abomination thankfully I never purchased Any of it so I'm glad I held out for the authentic Cd/download releases which are Spot on.

I'm going to bet this is a way to trick the automatic copyright protection filters on YouTube and elsewhere--if they can do some phasey tricks to the sound, it may throw off the automatic detection as the sound is changed enough to prevent a match.

I'm going to bet this is a way to trick the automatic copyright protection filters on YouTube and elsewhere--if they can do some phasey tricks to the sound, it may throw off the automatic detection as the sound is changed enough to prevent a match.
I agree They seem so desperate to get these rotten bootlegs out it seems they are using every kind of Trickery audio and otherwise to do it.

I was wondering if anyone has any information on an 8 track that I have. It is Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Greatest Hits, but it doesn't look like any of the others I have seen. The songs are the same, but in a different order and the label is different. Also, it says Magnitron Incorporated and on the back it says Audio Dynamic Ent. I was going to upload a picture, but I'm not sure how. Thanks for your help.

I was wondering if anyone has any information on an 8 track that I have. It is Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Greatest Hits, but it doesn't look like any of the others I have seen. The songs are the same, but in a different order and the label is different. Also, it says Magnitron Incorporated and on the back it says Audio Dynamic Ent. I was going to upload a picture, but I'm not sure how. Thanks for your help.
I once had that 8 track of Greatest hits but a mid 70s version but it too had the songs in a different order two songs were altered Lonely bull had an extra line to it and America appeared to be edited ( or more like butchered) during the vocal chorus and toward the end at least the one I had exhibited these traits I think it's the same kind of formatting yours has except you have an Early version but that's the interesting thing about collecting music IMO

On 8-Tracks it was not uncommon to re-order the songs or even cut some short or split them across two of the four "sides." The biggest trick was to divide the songs into four "sets" of (as closely as possible) the same length. When this didn't work out they'd fade a track out and fade it back in on the nest "side" or just cut it short.

--Mr Bill

The official Greatest Hits 8-track had two song edits. "America" had the second half of the vocal break taken out, and "Zorba the Greek" had almost the entire slow portion taken out. After the first break, the guitar part of the slow section starts, but it cuts right to where the song starts to speed back up after one bar.

The official Greatest Hits 8-track had two song edits. "America" had the second half of the vocal break taken out, and "Zorba the Greek" had almost the entire slow portion taken out. After the first break, the guitar part of the slow section starts, but it cuts right to where the song starts to speed back up after one bar.
Sounds Right to me thanks for the confirmation Mike

That sounds like they used the 45 RPM edit.

My dad used to borrow a car that had an 8-track in it, and the TJB Greatest Hits was one of the tapes in it. But I don't recall us ever trying the 8-track player in that one...

I remember when I first played that tape. I was already familiar with "Zorba" and was really irritated with the edit on the tape. I didn't know about the "America" edit until years later when I heard the Volume 2 album and was shocked at the "extra verse" of bridge section.

WARNING Another Fake TJB release has been released according to my Messages the album is titled "Carnival King" and it has the same tracks as Herb Alpert's Tijuana brass volume 2 and NOT IN THE RIGHT ORDER so I assume This is just ANOTHER FAKE and to add insult to injury it appears to be available on quobuz I just thought I'd warn all of you of this latest cannibalization of Unauthorized And Bootlegged Herb Alpert Recordings

They're still technically legal in other countries, but somehow they still "leak" their way into the US market. With the genuine product available, why are they even bothering? I'd rather get mine directly from the source than take a chance on whatever dicey source they used to produce their release.

They're still technically legal in other countries, but somehow they still "leak" their way into the US market. With the genuine product available, why are they even bothering? I'd rather get mine directly from the source than take a chance on whatever dicey source they used to produce their release.
Very true Einstein defined insanity ( Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result) which applies in this case

what your saying the lonely bull vinyl that I had bought at half price book store on wax time is a bootleg?

No it is probably a Public Domain release from Europe. As Rudy has stated (correctly) most of the music prior to 1964 is in the Public Domain in most of the world. So these are legal imports.

The only one of these I ever bought was the CD of the mono/stereo Lonely Bull, because Herb has refused to include the hit mono singles as bonus tracks, or issued mono/stereo releases of his albums. They would easily fit on one CD.

I have since digitized everything. Yes, including all of the TJB Specials..

In this age of digital downloads maybe it could be considered to offer comps of the original hit singles, and the TV specials on streaming services. Remember the Tijuana Brass double feature won an Academy Award for the Best animated film of 1967!

Yes, maybe copyright has expired in some countries, however, unauthorized usage of Herb's name and image in some cases.

Back
Top Bottom