Poll: Which sound better- Original CD releases or the Remastered Classics?

Which Sounds Better- the Original CDs or the Remastered Classics?

• Original CDs

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Remastered Classics

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
It honestly depends. The remasters can make the music sound better but in some cases it makes it worse, or it doesn’t remain true to the original.

I picked originals, but with a caveat. The original CDs weren't always true to the original albums. Single mixes and remixes were placed on them sporadically, mostly on CARPENTERS and SONG FOR YOU.

The Remastered Classics remain true to the original albums' intent, but suffer a little sonically at times, mostly on the earlier albums and PASSAGE.

For the later albums, there's hardly any difference at all, but the original A&M CDs weren't maximized or brickwalled.

There are of course exceptions to these generalities, but overall, if I want to listen to Carpenters, I'll throw on an original A&M CD.

Also, for the purposes of a non-audiophile type, the differences in actual listening are very small, and most Carpenters CDs are mastered pretty well.

Original CD’s for me. I’ll take them with all the imperfections they may have over the Remastered Classics. I’ve never been a fan of the Remastered Classics. Some just sound muddy to me and lack the highs, brightness and clarity from the originals. I’m happy we have both but I’d never get rid of my original CD’s.

AM+ for me and it's not remotely close. I'm so glad I kept all mine. For whatever reason, bus compression was employed on the Remastered Classics versions.

Ed

It's interesting how many of us kept the originals, yet still bought the Remastered Classics.

I feel obligated to take everyone back to the earlier 1990s, or even the late 80s. I recall how I - and I suppose many - yearned for the Carpenters albums to be released in the same form as the old LPs were. We'd all "grown up" on those LPs and knew just how they were supposed to sound. But the A&M CD of CARPENTERS came out with the remixes of "Rainy Days" and "Superstar" rather than the original recordings. I surely wanted a digital representation of those old originals, and kept hoping, with each subsequent compilation or even foreign release, that those originals would be there somewhere. But they never showed up until the Remastered series.

A SONG FOR YOU had even more oddities with the single mix of "Top Of The World" and some speed differences on side 2. Then MFSL put out a near total remix version of the album that stood as the standard through the 90s. The booklet for the old A&M CD was sparse - that was fixed for the MFSL and beyond.

I once detailed all of this in the Resource:

It's interesting how many of us kept the originals, yet still bought the Remastered Classics.

I feel obligated to take everyone back to the earlier 1990s, or even the late 80s. I recall how I - and I suppose many - yearned for the Carpenters albums to be released in the same form as the old LPs were. We'd all "grown up" on those LPs and knew just how they were supposed to sound. But the A&M CD of CARPENTERS came out with the remixes of "Rainy Days" and "Superstar" rather than the original recordings. I surely wanted a digital representation of those old originals, and kept hoping, with each subsequent compilation or even foreign release, that those originals would be there somewhere. But they never showed up until the Remastered series.

A SONG FOR YOU had even more oddities with the single mix of "Top Of The World" and some speed differences on side 2. Then MFSL put out a near total remix version of the album that stood as the standard through the 90s. The booklet for the old A&M CD was sparse - that was fixed for the MFSL and beyond.

I once detailed all of this in the Resource:

And I can't tell you how many times I've looked at the Resource, Harry! Thank you again for your hard work on it.

In my opinion, some of the later remasters of “Rainy Days” weren’t quite as good as the original. The string line during the bridge and the sax solo was cut. I know that Richard felt they didn’t work that well, but in my opinion it helped to emphasize the motion in the bridge and was pleasant to listen to. Also, the backing harmonies don’t sound quite right to me on the remasters. That could just be my ears though.

I'll take the original, unaltered albums as reissued on the Remastered Classics versions, even though they are somewhat compromised from an audio standpoint. If there's one single remixed or re-recorded part, it's a hard no here. I'm not into revisionist versions of the originals--there was nothing wrong with them.

Sealed original or early pressings on vinyl are hard to find, but they would be my go-to versions over any digital version.

I'll take the original, unaltered albums as reissued on the Remastered Classics versions, even though they are somewhat compromised from an audio standpoint. If there's one single remixed or re-recorded part, it's a hard no here. I'm not into revisionist versions of the originals--there was nothing wrong with them.

Sealed original or early pressings on vinyl are hard to find, but they would be my go-to versions over any digital version.

Amen to the second part for sure. The AM+ "Horizon" steamrolls the Remastered Classics version and that's the only one I bother with. I didn't get all the Remastered Classics albums and I'm glad I didn't. I'm with you on the "revisionist history" thing and in every instance I can think of, wish Richard hadn't tinkered at all. It's done nothing but create confusion for those who aren't devoted fans.

Ed

Im trying my hardest to get both sets. But its proving difficult. I had to stop for a bit due to money issues. I really wish I could get the 1998 issue of Ticket under 40$ :sad:

Amen to the second part for sure. The AM+ "Horizon" steamrolls the Remastered Classics version and that's the only one I bother with. I didn't get all the Remastered Classics albums and I'm glad I didn't. I'm with you on the "revisionist history" thing and in every instance I can think of, wish Richard hadn't tinkered at all. It's done nothing but create confusion for those who aren't devoted fans.

Ed
What difference do you hear on the AM+ that you don't hear on the remastered classics? I purchased horizon from Qobuz. Qobuz having the remastered classics version of the album.

I agree with most of what was said before about the differences in the sound and the revisions/remixes of some songs. I kept my originals despite buying the remasters in 1998. The version I currently have in my digital archive for active listening is the Japanese 35th anniversary set.
This thread takes me back to the nineties when I started collecting Carpenters. It was very difficult to get the AM+ versions of the albums from the 1975-1983 period. They weren't sold in The Netherlands, where I was living back then. "Ticket" was also nowhere to be found. I had to import "Horizon" from Japan and it cost me a small fortune. I found "Ticket" and Made in America" while on holiday in London and ended up importing "Hush", "Passage" and "VOTH" from the US. I think I completed this treasure hunt around 1996-1997. A year later, the whole collection was available everywhere as the Remastered Classics. Fortunately, by that time I was making my own money and these editions weren't that expensive. I enjoyed having a complete set that "matched" in terms of look and feel.
Soundwise, I immediately noticed that the Remasters were louder, but I was mainly interested in hearing the original mixes, particularly "A song for you". Too bad "Made in America" had the "fixed" version of "Those good old dreams"... I suppose, as fans, we always want more.

I believe that any of the Japanese album sets that were issued from about 1999 onward all use the Remastered Classics masters. The only differences you'll find after that date are the one-offs like the SACDs and the single mix of "Solitaire" on various comps.

What difference do you hear on the AM+ that you don't hear on the remastered classics? I purchased horizon from Qobuz. Qobuz having the remastered classics version of the album.

Sorry for taking so long to answer this. I came down with COVID. The difference is the compression. If you listen to the release after the 2nd b-section ("on the day that you were born," etc.) of "They Long to Be Close To You," you can hear the "pumping" that is indicates bus compression. The AM+ versions don't have those compression artifacts. Unfortunately, as @Harry stated, they are havens for revisionist history but "Horizon" (for instance) is glorious this way and I have no desire to hear the Remastered Classics version of it.

Ed

I think the only Audio Masters+ CD that is still in print in 2022 is the Christmas Portrait: Special Edition CD that’s recently hit #18 on iTunes Christmas chart. (Christmas Collection is also at #63 on the same chart over on PopVortex. Although they list CPSE as coming out in 1978 and CC as being released January 1, 1984!).

I picked originals, but with a caveat. The original CDs weren't always true to the original albums. Single mixes and remixes were placed on them sporadically, mostly on CARPENTERS and SONG FOR YOU.

The Remastered Classics remain true to the original albums' intent, but suffer a little sonically at times, mostly on the earlier albums and PASSAGE.

For the later albums, there's hardly any difference at all, but the original A&M CDs weren't maximized or brickwalled.

There are of course exceptions to these generalities, but overall, if I want to listen to Carpenters, I'll throw on an original A&M CD.

Also, for the purposes of a non-audiophile type, the differences in actual listening are very small, and most Carpenters CDs are mastered pretty well.
I noticed that too, specifically on the CD for "A Song For You" two songs that I immediately know are remixes are "It's Going To Take Some Time" and "Bless The Beasts and Children." Now, I think the remixed version of "It's Going To Take" is better than the original, but in my opinion, the remix of "Bless The Beasts" is not. There are just too many new drum fills and the drums overall are too prominent in the whole track and override a lot of the other instruments. The piano does sound better rerecorded in stereo, though; I will give it that.

Although, since I love everything Carpenters, I'm not really one to nitpick their work; I'd rather praise it.

Back
Top Bottom