Poll: Your Favorite Least Favorite Carpenters Track

Which Is Your Favorite Of These (3) Carpenters Tracks?

• Goofus 1976

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Man Smart, Woman Smarter 1977

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I Believe You 1978

Votes: 22 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, I think "goofus" and "man smart" are lousy. "Believe" is not as bad, but not worth a mention either. I pretty much do not like most of what they did past 1975, including Karen's throw-away solo album.

Goofus....is great !

One reviewer (Post #2, RPO review thread) wrote
"the drowsy “I Believe You” comes to mind."
In one word, that is the song I Believe You ! Drowsy.
Were it not for the awesome drum-break in that song, I would fall asleep.

I’ve voted for I Believe You as it’s the track I listen to most out of those three, and I particularly like the RPO version. However, I can’t say I particularly dislike any of them.

Although, in general, some of the Carpenters’ songs are better (or at least more to my personal taste) than others, I can honestly say there isn’t a track of theirs I don’t enjoy listening to. My favourites seem to change depending on my mood.

How in the world is I Believe You on that list!? Especially with « Piano Picker » and « Saturday » out there on the loose.

Where are Crescent Moon/Noon, Piano Picker, Druscilla Penny...?

From by above opening explanation and one response. :)
"These seem to be three of the Later 70's more "unloved songs".........And they feature full-on "Karen" vocals."
Thanks for the suggestions, though. Valid points.

I have no problem with the choice of the three tracks. I Believe You belongs there with the other two, for sure. The fact that I chose Goofus and my "favorite least favorite" song was an eye opener to me. I HATE Goofus, but find it much more listenable than the other two. I will give IBY one kudo, though; it's more listenable than Man Smart Woman Smarter. Now THAT song was a waste of recording time/tape.

Well, I think "goofus" and "man smart" are lousy. "Believe" is not as bad, but not worth a mention either. I pretty much do not like most of what they did past 1975, including Karen's throw-away solo album.

Thanks for your input! But please vote for "Believe" and we won't tell anyone! :)

I have no problem with the choice of the three tracks. I Believe You belongs there with the other two, for sure. The fact that I chose Goofus and my "favorite least favorite" song was an eye opener to me. I HATE Goofus, but find it much more listenable than the other two. I will give IBY one kudo, though; it's more listenable than Man Smart Woman Smarter. Now THAT song was a waste of recording time/tape.

A fun and logical way to look at this, which was my intention! Good job.

Actually, I find it difficult to use the word "hate"
for any Carpenters' recording.
Out of their total output, there are perhaps TEN songs that I dislike to some extent.
I can't honestly use the word "hate." No matter what my inclination, I will say this:
Karen's voice is NEVER the real issue with any of the songs I dislike:
an example is I Believe You. She sings the song flawlessly, to be sure.
However, the overall arrangement and the lyric simply fail to spark my interest.
Goofus wins for me, if only due to its outstanding arrangement and vocal harmonies.
I almost like Man Smart, Woman Smarter...but, its flow is somewhat "clunky." (halting ?),
and it is an adventurous undertaking.
Here is Robert Palmer, and I like this:

I'm surprised "Drucilla Penny" isn't on the list. It's gotten a lot of hate over the years.

Of the songs on the list, I would have to pick "I Believe You" as my favorite of the bunch. I don't hate it as much as others do, but it would still never make my Carpenters top 40 list.

Of these 3 choices it’s Goofus. What an odd song to record in the mid seventies. Maybe it was a favorite of Harold & Agnus, for them. Then to release it as a single when “You” was such a powerful alternative. Anyway it’s poor chart success further lead to radio steering away from them as a result. I consider AKOH lp a for the fans only release even today.

I’ve voted for I Believe You as it’s the track I listen to most out of those three, and I particularly like the RPO version. However, I can’t say I particularly dislike any of them.

Of these 3 choices it’s Goofus. What an odd song to record in the mid seventies.

AnnaSock, I'm with you. I don't hate any songs, but there are some that I tend to skip when playing a CD. My least favorite of the three is "Smarter." It just isn't my preferred listening. "Goofus" gets annoying after a while, again not my cup of tea. After it's inclusion in the RPO set, I have a better liking of "Believe." The poll results are really close right now, but it does show our appreciation for these sometimes unappreciated songs!

Thanks to everyone who has voted or commented so far. That's what we do at the Carpenters Forum :)

Then to release it as a single when “You” was such a powerful alternative.

I disagree, that song is nothing more than a pleasant album track on a medioacre album filled with album-only tracks (I Need To Be In Love aside). Herb Alpert’s assessment of the quality of the material during the recording process was spot on: not up to their usual standard. Strange that the label allowed the album to go forward despite these concerns but then stepped in and vetoed the solo album for the supposed same reason.

I was crazy over both ‘Goofus’ and ‘I Believe You’ at the time they were singles! For starters, both feature a strong dose of one of my favourite sounds - Carpenters’ harmonies - and both feature another of my favourite things - soul-satisfying arrangements of the type that Richard did so well. As a pre-teen, I recognised the whimsy of the lyrics, (and the tune), of ‘Goofus’ and loved it. I’m not sure whether you have to be a kid to enjoy that side of the song, though - I mentioned my age thinking that may have helped - it remained a favourite for the next forty years.

‘I Believe You’ was released during (another) boiling hot summer and I was entranced by it. I thought it a majestic, high quality recording and production, especially in terms of the vocals, harmonies and arrangement - a cut above other music played at the time. It’s true that, over the years, I’ve come to think of the lyrics as being a bit mushy, but the recording itself and the song will probably never go out of favour with me. Interestingly, both ‘Goofus’ and ‘I Believe You’ were very definitely on high rotation on my local radio station, when they were released.

Although ‘Passage’ reached Number 11 in my state and generated a lot of excitement, ‘Man Smart, Woman Smarter’ never ignited a spark of any sort in me, which was unusual in a song that Karen sang, and it’s never caught my interest in the 40 years since. (Songs which Richard sang and instrumentals - usually little spark). Somehow, the song suits Robert Palmer better, in that era of his career. It’s interesting that almost the same arrangement as Robert Palmer’s was used on Carpenters’ version. I was listening to Palmer’s version recently - I don’t mind some of his output from that era. I still don’t particularly like his version, but I’ve liked Carpenters’ version less. Their version almost irks me and always has, even when I was a die-hard mid-teen fan.

It would never have occurred to me to put ‘Goofus’ or ‘I Believe You’ on a ‘worst of’ list. ‘Man Smart, Woman Smarter’, I can believe.

Something to keep in mind is that just because people mention flaws in the lyrics or critique production or have an opinion over choice of single or whatever, it doesn’t mean they HATE or even dislike the song. You can be unsure about the lyrics, for example, or see negative features in some area or have opinions about some other aspect of the song, but still love the overall package.

I do enjoy comparing Dorothy Moore, Barbara Mandrell and Karen Carpenter,
I Believe You.
Dorothy sings of a "brown eyed little girl," Barbara sings of a "blue eyed girl" and
Karen sings of "freckled little girl." Interesting, the slight variations on that lyric.
Karen's is the only lead-vocal that wraps around me in any meaningful manner.
Barbara Mandrell incorporates some nice changes (countrified), though.

Something to keep in mind is that just because people mention flaws in the lyrics or critique production or have an opinion over choice of single or whatever, it doesn’t mean they HATE or even dislike the song. You can be unsure about the lyrics, for example, or see negative features in some area or have opinions about some other aspect of the song, but still love the overall package.

I agree totally. This goes into what I was going to say about I Believe You - the lyrics are awkward and clumsy as hell but yet it's my favorite song of these three because I love the dreamy feel of the orchestration and Karen's completely into the words, much more so than her drab reading of, say, "You". She makes the lyrics sound compelling through the emotion and phrasing - who else could give a listener goosebumps with that final "freckled little girl who looks like we do..." line and make it sound moving and alive?

I don’t dislike any of the 3 songs in this poll. I just think Goofus was a goofy song choice. The whole AKOH lp is weak as far as AM radio hits. The adult station where I was going to college played it too. It’s on very few compilation sets because of its poor chart success and the kind of song critics love to pounce on. At least “You” made it on the Japanese only “Evergreens” cd.
The fan club did ask which cut from AKOH should be the next single though, and Goofus was the fans choice. The rest is history.

I Believe You.
Dorothy sings of a "brown eyed little girl," Barbara sings of a "blue eyed girl" and
Karen sings of "freckled little girl." Interesting, the slight variations on that lyric.

I notice that Barbara didn’t fancy living in a cave. The song definitely works as a country song. I like Dorothy Moore’s version. I’m a bit of a fan - I have a few of her CDs - not because she sang ‘I Believe You’. For me, it started with ‘Misty Blue’.

You not being remixed for the new album is a crime, it's in desperate need of one. But there's still Karen's bland performance...

It would never have occurred to me to put ‘Goofus’ or ‘I Believe You’ on a ‘worst of’ list. ‘Man Smart, Woman Smarter’, I can believe.

Did anyone mention "worst list?" :) A bit of thought went into the three I chose, hoping it might spark some great conversation. We all would have a different three songs, that's for sure, but for different reasons. Which leads me to the last paragraph you wrote that I agree with wholeheartedly, Brian. Thank you for posting that.

Robert Palmer’s version of ‘Man Smart, Woman Smarter’ has more punch and grit. Maybe it’s the repeated guitar line. That definitely adds something. I didn’t mind listening to his version just then. I could almost like his, especially when played in context of the whole album or with others of his songs from that era. (I didn’t like the ‘Simply Irresistable’ / ‘Addicted to Love’ era).

I'm surprised "Drucilla Penny" isn't on the list. It's gotten a lot of hate over the years.

Of the songs on the list, I would have to pick "I Believe You" as my favorite of the bunch. I don't hate it as much as others do, but it would still never make my Carpenters top 40 list.
How many people are not reading the first post?

But, quite frankly I’d take “Druscilla Penny” over “I Believe You” any day.

I Believe You.

The countrified version has a few lyrical variations from the Carpenters version. It sometimes comes across as a totally different song. The Carpenters version is the most "grand" of the three versions. But is bigger always better?

All three of these songs (in the poll) are "grand" in a different way than many of the Carpenters tracks. They seem to attract attention for various reasons, which would be fun to continue to discuss.

Back
Top Bottom