Possible 45th Anniversary Collectors Edition?*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Japan has been pretty consistent with releasing a collectors edition every 5 years. The 35th Anniversary Collectors Box Set released in 2003 then a cool Singles Box set released in 2006 then the 40th Anniversary Collector Box Set in 2009.

We know that this year 2014 marks the time for the 45th Anniversary Collectors Box Set to be released and out of curiosity....I was trying to figure out when in 2009 we started getting delivers of the 40th set. I found the thread here and it appears that Davidra and Sakura might have been the first people who got delivery and they posted that their 40th sets were shipped around June 24, 2009.

So if this does happen and we don't know for sure....do you think June is the timeline?

Honestly, I hope there's not a release. Too much money for yet another repackaging of the same stuff we already have...

That said, there are a couple of things that would excite me, but none are likely, given everything we've learned directly from Richard this week. I'd LOVE a set of SACD versions of all the albums. Not necessarily 5.1-channel mixes, but just very high-resolution audio versions of all the original albums. And, of course, I'd love anything that hasn't been on CD before, whether it's early recordings, demos, alternate takes, songs from the TV specials, or the oh-so-tantalizing vault material.

The only "repackaging" that would get me excited would be a chronological set of every track that has ever been released -- along with a book detailing the date and recording circumstances for each track. I'd pay good money for that kind of set.

I still have hopes for a live box set. We know there are already two completed albums with "Live in Japan" & "Live at the Palladium". I'd love to hear different time spans for the live output. But, Richard has stated that he hates live albums, as the sound is different than the record. So, the live recordings will mostly likely stay in the vault as well.

Japan has been pretty consistent with releasing a collectors edition every 5 years. The 35th Anniversary Collectors Box Set released in 2003 then a cool Singles Box set released in 2006 then the 40th Anniversary Collector Box Set in 2009.

We know that this year 2014 marks the time for the 45th Anniversary Collectors Box Set to be released and out of curiosity....I was trying to figure out when in 2009 we started getting delivers of the 40th set. I found the thread here and it appears that Davidra and Sakura might have been the first people who got delivery and they posted that their 40th sets were shipped around June 24, 2009.

So if this does happen and we don't know for sure....do you think June is the timeline?
I think we can assume,from Richard's answer about future projects,that there won't be any special 45th anniversary release.

There's a possibility that Universal could reissue the out-of-print albums this year-they don't need Richard's involvement for that.
I still have hopes for a live box set. We know there are already two completed albums with "Live in Japan" & "Live at the Palladium". I'd love to hear different time spans for the live output. But, Richard has stated that he hates live albums, as the sound is different than the record. So, the live recordings will mostly likely stay in the vault as well.
There will never be a live release-Richard doesn't like any of the live material,and he's not crazy about live recordings,in general.

"Live At The Palladium" and "Live In Japan" got a CD release only because Richard wasn't able to stop it.But he was able to prevent US release for those albums.

I think we can assume,from Richard's answer about future projects,that there won't be any special 45th anniversary release.

There's a possibility that Universal could reissue the out-of-print albums this year-they don't need Richard's involvement for that.

C: any upcoming projects your working on?
R: not at the moment, no

Is this up for interpretation? at the moment? I guess he could have said, I'm done there will be nothing else I'm involved in...I think the use of "not at the moment" leaves it open for interpretation, what happens after the moment is over? hmmm

I really am glad that I purchased the Japan Singles Box Collection when I did....I had always hoped the U.S. would have released a similar set in normal CD format that covered the U.S. singles but I wonder now if that will ever appear.

As a side note...I was reviewing the archived thread again when the 40th set appeared and it seems Sakura reported first on Feb 10, 2009 the first news of the 40th set and CD Japan reported Feb 17, 2009. We know the set reached our members hands in June 2009 so if past is any indication of a June release...something would appear by Feb of this year.

As mentioned before...maybe the Japanese release of The Singles '69-'73 in SACD and SHM platinum mediums March 26, 2014 will be the commemorative issue.

I know this is probably not the right place but since we are talking about possible release for 45th. Here is an article from 2009 with a pretty good question and answer, it's interesting to see his responses especially that last one about him finding some archival A&M photos and some from his own personal collection for the 40th SHM set...funny how he mentions 50th. There is also that reference to Heather and the Geritol commercial (didn't we talk about that not long ago?) :laugh:
It's also interesting that Heather was originally called, "Autumn Reverie" and didn't Richard use those words in the unreleased "Christmas track" Together at Christmas again? It's fun to refresh our memories on these interviews.

The 40th Anniversary of the Carpenters (Richard Carpenter Interview) posted May 11, 2009
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/emhuffpost-exclusiveem-th_b_201408.html

I haven't seen any posts from Sakura in a long time here. Anyone in touch with her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom