Potential Line-up for RPO 2

ullalume

I know, I know. . .it's wishful thinking, we were so lucky to get RPO 1 and some of us weren't even that crazy about that one, but I loved it and thought it might be fun to come up with a potential chronological track list for a sequel, if it were to occur.

So let's use the first as a template. . . pick 18 tracks you think would be likely to feature.

Here's mine (in date order)

1)Overture (this time adapted from the opening piece from the Singles '69-'73)
2)All of My Live
3)Eve
4)Let Me Be The One
5)A Song 4 U
6)Gonna take Some Time
7)Bless the Beasts
8)Won't Last A Day
9)Santa Claus
10)Sing
11)Please Mr Postman
12)Only Yesterday
13)Solitaire
14)Kind of Hush
15)AYGFLIALS
16)You're The One
17)Where Do I Go From Here
18)Those Good Old Dreams
19)Now

I go back and forth on Occupants. On the one hand it's beautifully orchestrated and remixed already so not sure how it could benefit from this treatment. On the other, it was a big hit over here and would boost sales.

Look forward to hearing your picks guys

Neil

For an RPO2 I'm kind of torn between a non-seasonal album and a Christmas album. For a Christmas RPO I would generally follow the outline of Christmas Portrait Special Edition, so it would look like this:

It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
Overture (An Old-Fashioned Christmas)
An Old-Fashioned Christmas
Christmas Waltz
Sleigh Ride
It's Christmas Time/Sleep Well Little Children
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (musical interlude featuring a faster instrumental of the song, sort of like the original CP version, then slowing to the single version)
The Christmas Song
Carol of the Bells
Silent Night
Do You Hear What I Hear?
Christ Is Born
I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
(There's No Place Like) Home For the Holidays
He Came Here For Me
Winter Wonderland/Silver Bells/White Christmas
The First Snowfall/Let It Snow
Christmas Alphabet
I'll Be Home For Christmas
What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?

Now then for a non-seasonal RPO2, it would look like this

Time
All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
(Want You) Back In My Life Again
My Body Keeps Changing My Mind
Make Me Laugh
You're Just In Love
Beechwood 4-5789
Prime Time Love
Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
Two Sides
Can't Smile Without You
There's A Kind of Hush
Happy
This Masquerade
Crystal Lullaby
Let Me Be The One
Love Is Surrender
Say Yeah!

Hmmmmmm, this is a tricky one ... Occupants MUST be there - Richard could reimagine the arrangment - Goodbye to Love RPO style - making it even bigger.

Overture (WITHOUT chorale - oh please lord)
Only Yesterday
Solitaire
All You Get From Love
You're The One
Bless The Beasts
Sing
Crystal Lullaby
Eve
One More Time
Let Me Be The One
Make Believe Its Your First Time
Those Good Old Dreams
I Wont Last A Day
Ordinary Fool
Where Do I Go From Here?
A Song For You
Now
Calling Occupants

Other tracks that could work: Jambalaya, Road Ode, Uninvited Guest, Little Alter Boy, All Of My Life, Love Me For What I Am, Maybe Its You, If I Had You, When Its Gone.

I am also in the camp of thoroughly enjoying the RPO project and optimistically hoping for a Volume 2! Here are my picks for inclusion in such a project, mostly a wish list rather than prognostication.

Already produced:
Those Good Old Dreams

Singles:
It's Going to Take Some Time
I Won't Last a Day Without You
Only Yesterday
Solitaire
There's a Kind of Hush (All Over the World)
All You Get From Love Is a Love Song
Sweet Sweet Smile
Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

Album cuts:
All of My Life
Let Me Be the One
One Love
A Song for You
Happy
You
One More Time
Two Sides
Sailing on the Tide
You're the One

Can I have it now please?

01. Overture - ending in Only Yesterday
02. Only Yesterday
03. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
04. Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
05. Jambalaya
06. Sweet Sweet Smile
07. Those Good Old Dreams
08. I Won't Last A Day Without You
09. Sing
10. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
11. Solitaire
12. There's A Kind Of Hush
13. It's Going To Take Some Time
14. A Song For You
15. Let Me Be The One
16. Bless The Beasts And Children
17. Desperado
18. Look To Your Dreams
19. Calling Occupants
20. Something's Missing (bonus)

A track nobody's mentioned and one that Karen wanted to re-record: Someday.
One of the interludes on RPO1features “Someday”. Also did Karen ever re-record a new lead for it, aside from the 1980 medley snippet? From what Richard said in “From The Top”, Karen wanted to do a new recording sometime because her 1969 vocal was distorted due to the cold she had at the time, but they only ever got around to recording the snippet for the medley.

One of the interludes on RPO1features “Someday”. Also did Karen ever re-record a new lead for it, aside from the 1980 medley snippet? From what Richard said in “From The Top”, Karen wanted to do a new recording sometime because her 1969 vocal was distorted due to the cold she had at the time, but they only ever got around to recording the snippet for the medley.

Karen never recorded a full new lead vocal for the song in 1980. The distortion wasn’t on the lead vocal but on the orchestra track. I don’t think Richard has successfully found a way to get rid of that, otherwise it would probably have been a strong contender for a remix.

Karen never recorded a full new lead vocal for the song in 1980. The distortion wasn’t on the lead vocal but on the orchestra track. I don’t think Richard has successfully found a way to get rid of that, otherwise it would probably have been a strong contender for a remix.
No, she had a little bit of distortion, but not in the electronic sense. It was from her nasal passages being blocked due to the cold, and she wasn't able to get those high notes without her voice naturally distorting and that was the reason that they had wanted to re-record the track at some point.

This playlist I've been listening to for a few months. I call it RPO Fantasy Album II. It's some more of the "hits" and a speckling of well known album tracks. I also have a more "adventurous" list, but this one has a better chance of realization. IMHO. :)

Overture/Without A Song (ATGB version)
Trying To Get The Feeling Again
A Song For You
Nowhere Man (original '67 version)
Make Believe It's Your First Time (KC version)
Maybe It's You
Ordinary Fool
Only Yesterday
If I Had You (Lovelines version)
Sing (Canta-Spanish lyric)
Let Me Be The One
Where Do I Go From Here?
It's Going To Take Some Time
Solitaire
I Won't Last A Day Without You
Calling Occupants (An edited intro longer version)
There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
Those Good Old Dreams

If there had to be a holiday selection, "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" is a pop/holiday classic.

Hopefully Richard can remove the page-turn on Tryin’ To Get The Feeling. I love that song.

Love that page-turn! Reminds us that she's ONLY singing a "work lead". One can only imagine what the finished product would've sounded like as intended.

This playlist I've been listening to for a few months. I call it RPO Fantasy Album II. It's some more of the "hits" and a speckling of well known album tracks. I also have a more "adventurous" list, but this one has a better chance of realization. IMHO. :)

Overture/Without A Song (ATGB version)
Trying To Get The Feeling Again
A Song For You
Nowhere Man (original '67 version)
Make Believe It's Your First Time (KC version)
Maybe It's You
Ordinary Fool
Only Yesterday
If I Had You (Lovelines version)
Sing (Canta-Spanish lyric)
Let Me Be The One
Where Do I Go From Here?
It's Going To Take Some Time
Solitaire
I Won't Last A Day Without You
Calling Occupants (An edited intro longer version)
There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
Those Good Old Dreams

If there had to be a holiday selection, "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" is a pop/holiday classic.

This is a great list :) Of course, now I’m intrigued as to your more adventurous one, too! :D

Call me a purist.
I do not desire for anything else to be "removed" from any Carpenters' recording.
In other words, keep that "page being turned" on Karen's vocal work-lead for the song
Trying To Get The Feeling Again.
As for an RPO #2....if it isn't a total "re-creation," or re-imagining , of the arrangements,
I fail to see how my interest could be reignited. I do not need another compilation of hits,
and a compilation of album cuts will not get more promotion than what we have already gotten....
so, I am out this time around.

I do not desire for anything else to be "removed" from any Carpenters’ recording. In other words, keep that "page being turned" on Karen's vocal work-lead for the song Trying To Get The Feeling Again.

If Richard hadn’t left it in, we would never have known it was there in the first place. It’s like the opposite of Goodbye To Love. He put the breath back in years later.

I also have a more "adventurous" list.......

This is a great list :) Of course, now I’m intrigued as to your more adventurous one, too! :D

So @AnnaSock, this is the "way-er out" version of my Fantasy RPO Album II.:D

1) Overture (Imagination required)
2) A Song For You
3) Honolulu City Lights
4) Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
5) I Won't Last A Day Without You
6) It's Really You (KC Demo - Re-imagined)
7) California Dreamin'
8) Don't Be Afraid (demo "From The Top")
9) You'll Love Me
10) Let Me Be The One
11) Only Yesterday
12) Maybe It's You
13) Ordinary Fool
14) Little Girl Blue
15) Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
16) Something's Missing (KC Demo - Re-imagined)
17) All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
18) Those Good Old Dreams
19) I Need To Be In Love (Using solo vocal from 1978) *
20) Calling Occupants/Epilogue (additional imagination required)

Many of these are short songs, so it would leave Richard plenty of space for additional orchestration.
Yes, it would leave out more "hits." RPO III needs some material. :)
* This version deserves to be heard even though it's on an RPO album already. (It's my fantasy, right?)

So @AnnaSock, this is the "way-er out" version of my Fantasy RPO Album II.:D

1) Overture (Imagination required)
2) A Song For You
3) Honolulu City Lights
4) Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
5) I Won't Last A Day Without You
6) It's Really You (KC Demo - Re-imagined)
7) California Dreamin'
8) Don't Be Afraid (demo "From The Top")
9) You'll Love Me
10) Let Me Be The One
11) Only Yesterday
12) Maybe It's You
13) Ordinary Fool
14) Little Girl Blue
15) Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
16) Something's Missing (KC Demo - Re-imagined)
17) All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
18) Those Good Old Dreams
19) I Need To Be In Love (Using solo vocal from 1978) *
20) Calling Occupants/Epilogue (additional imagination required)

Many of these are short songs, so it would leave Richard plenty of space for additional orchestration.
Yes, it would leave out more "hits." RPO III needs some material. :)
* This version deserves to be heard even though it's on an RPO album already. (It's my fantasy, right?)

Thanks for sharing. I love this! It includes several of my favourite tracks. I was going to list them then I realised it’s pretty much all of them haha.

The 1978 vocal of I Need To Be In Love is superb :love:

Thanks for sharing. I love this! It includes several of my favourite tracks. I was going to list them then I realised it’s pretty much all of them haha.

The 1978 vocal of I Need To Be In Love is superb :love:

Thanks Anna!
Repeating songs is probably taboo but since this was Karen's favorite, or at least, favorite Carpenter/Bettis song, it really deserves an RPO arrangement to compliment that magnificent vocal. Hint. Hint. :)

Just been looking at some of the sales of previous RPO collaborations and unfortunately it seems this album might not have performed well enough to warrant a part 2. We've got a peak position of No. 8 with 11 weeks in the top 100 (so far) which is comparable to the Buddy Holly album (no sequel). Roy Orbison, who got a second album, reached No 2 with 24 weeks in the chart.

Probably time for this fan to get his expectations back down to earth.

P.S. Carpenters did about as well as the Beach Boys collaboration which came out in June of last year. . .so if BB get a new release this Summer there's still hopes for our Xmas duo.

I know, I know. . .it's wishful thinking, we were so lucky to get RPO 1 and some of us weren't even that crazy about that one, but I loved it and thought it might be fun to come up with a potential chronological track list for a sequel, if it were to occur.

So let's use the first as a template. . . pick 18 tracks you think would be likely to feature.

Here's mine (in date order)

1)Overture (this time adapted from the opening piece from the Singles '69-'73)
2)All of My Live
3)Eve
4)Let Me Be The One
5)A Song 4 U
6)Gonna take Some Time
7)Bless the Beasts
8)Won't Last A Day
9)Santa Claus
10)Sing
11)Please Mr Postman
12)Only Yesterday
13)Solitaire
14)Kind of Hush
15)AYGFLIALS
16)You're The One
17)Where Do I Go From Here
18)Those Good Old Dreams
19)Now

I go back and forth on Occupants. On the one hand it's beautifully orchestrated and remixed already so not sure how it could benefit from this treatment. On the other, it was a big hit over here and would boost sales.

Look forward to hearing your picks guys

Neil
reason to believe desperado..jamblaya.....ill never fall in love again.or a whole country album

Back
Top Bottom