Pre A&M Recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
I hope someone can answer a question for me. It's something I've wondered about since seeing the TV Movie: The Karen Carpenter Story. Unfortunately, my nephew recorded over a couple of segments. I'm missing portions of the beginning of the film as well as the ending credits.

My question is this...

Early in the movie, when Richard and Karen are getting their start, there's an upbeat, almost "beach-sounding" song playing in the background with Karen double tracked. Does anyone know what this song might be? If so, has it ever been released? It's a sensational sound. I wish they had included it somewhere on the Singles album.

Please help! I've always wondered what the title of the song might be and if it's available or has ever been released.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

I'm sure the song you're thinking about is 'I'll Be Yours', when they're rehearsing in a sort of sound room?

It sounds phenomenal compared with the version on the From The Top Box Set, more 'finished'. Does anyone else agree?

Assuming this is the song Brasil Nut is thinking of?!

Stephen

"I'll Be Yours?" That could be it. It's been so long since I've heard it (with the original broadcast), and that's been years. But it does seem that, indeed, they were in a sound booth during this segment. So, it was released on a box set? Interesting! Is this something that is still available? I'd really love to have a copy of this song. Thanks for your reply, Stephen! :wink:

Jon

...online and grateful...

The original FROM THE TOP box set is still out there, but the newer edition called ESSENTIAL COLLECTION is a better overall collection, with the inclusion of all the hits and the fabulous remastering job. One track that's unique to FROM THE TOP is an early one, the Beatles' "Goodnight" sung by the CSULB Choir with Karen in the lead.

Most of my enjoyment of these box sets come from these early tracks like "I'll Be Yours". It was just yesterday that I dug out disc one of FROM THE TOP and listened to these early tracks, adding in the couple from AS TIME GOES BY. My initial thought was that puttting these all together on one CD would be nice, but the more 'finished' tracks from AS TIME GOES BY sound out of place with the simpler garage tracks om the FROM THE TOP set.

Harry
...TGIF, online...

I think you may be referring to Don't Be Afraid, but I never thought it as beach music, more like the 5th Dimension. It was toward the beginning where Rich was demonstrating the method behind their overdubbs. There is Fun Fun Fun midway through the move at the housewarming party for Karen and Rich.

Craig

I suspect that the song Brasil_Nut is looking for is "I'll Be Yours", since "Don't Be Afraid" has been commonly available on OFFERING/TICKET TO RIDE for all these years. "I'll Be Yours" was the flip side of the Karen Carpenter Magic Lamp single "Looking For Love". Both are on the box sets.

Harry
...who likes all of these early tracks, online...

Harry said:
I suspect that the song Brasil_Nut is looking for is "I'll Be Yours", since "Don't Be Afraid" has been commonly available on OFFERING/TICKET TO RIDE for all these years. "I'll Be Yours" was the flip side of the Karen Carpenter Magic Lamp single "Looking For Love". Both are on the box sets.

Harry
...who likes all of these early tracks, online...

Harry is correct. I'm familiar with "Don't Be Afraid" from Offering/Ticket To Ride (a great song I might add!) The song I'm looking for has to be "I'll Be Yours". And yes - it does have a bit of Fifth Dimension mixed with a beach-themed vocal track. As I said, it's been years since I've heard the song. The melody runs through my head; the words escape me.

Thanks to all who have responded. I'll look for "I'll Be Yours" and check it out. I'll let ya'll know if, indeed, this is the song in question. You guys are the greatest! :wink:

Jon

...grateful online...

I'll Be Yours is a great early track one of the best on from the top.

I wish there was a way to help each other out sometimes here by providing a link to a 30 sec clip of the track. But I think it might be illegal right?

I know I have the capability to do it but don't want to get in any trouble.

Which reminds me didn't someone here (can't think of his name) provide a link for the entire song on real player clip of that Andy Williams & Karen singing Ticket to Ride, so maybe it is ok to do that here?

I know that FROM THE TOP was officially deleted, but there are still plenty of copies available in stores all across the country. I saw one not a week ago, and others in recent travels to record stores.

I'm also finally seeing more copies of ESSENTIAL COLLECTION in stores. For the longest time, I'd look for it and not see it, but now it seems more prevalent.

Harry
...keeping an eye on the market, online...

Thanks Harry. For a minute there I thought I would have a tough time locating a copy. Good to hear it's still around. Thanks again. :)

Jon

...anxious to hear "I'll Be Yours" online...

If you've got an ample amount of Carpenters recordings, the FROM THE TOP will do. If you're looking for an all-inclusive compilation, ESSENTIAL COLLECTION is the better choice. As I said, FROM THE TOP has that one Cal State track on it that is omitted on ESSENTIAL, but ESSENTIAL has all the hits sounding better than ever, mostly in their original mixes, and includes the "Karen/Ella Medley" that only appeared on the Japanese AS TIME GOES BY.

Harry
...hoping Jon finds what he needs, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom