1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Problems with the Conversation Feature

Discussion in 'Announcements, Forum Business & Help Desk' started by Harry, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry

Harry Charter Member Moderator Thread Starter

I've received this email from our user Chris-An Ordinary Fool regarding the Conversation feature. He indicates that he's having a lot of problems both replying to and initiating private conversations.

I have no idea if this is widespread or a local problem with Chris' setup.

Harry

2. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Thanks Harry,

I wanted to add that it not only happened last night but also last week in replying to conversations. In addition, I found that it is not only happening in replying to conversations but also when replying to posts. In fact it happen last night, I went to reply to the thread in the Carpenters section titled "Fake CD alert" and when I went to hit post reply I got the same message, a sorta pop up came toward the top of the page that said, The following error occured, please enter a valid message" It had red in the color of the pop up. So then I hit ok and it brought me back to my reply (which was still there) so I hit post reply again and the same error message appeared. So then I signed out, re-signed in and replied again to the post and same error again. Finally after about 6-8 tries it took my reply.

So I wanted to mention that it not only is happening on conversation replied but also on replying to regular posts. I just wondered if this has happened to anyone else?
    If it happens again I will try to grab a print screen of the error and send it to you.
    Thanks

3. Harry

Which browser are you using on your computer? Which operating system? That info might be helpful when Rudy comes back around these parts.

Harry

4. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    I'm using IE 8, Windows XP

Yesterday seemed to give me the hardest time replying yet today it worked fine. It happened a few times last week as well. Maybe it's just a glitch but if it happens again I'll take a screen shot if that will help.

5. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    It is likely a local problem, although I rule nothing out. We usually suggest clearing out cookies for all amcorner.com sites, which would be a good place to start. Also, in general (for any browser): if any ad blocking or script blocking add-ons are in place, disable those temporarily to see if they are the problem. Some computer security packages can be overzealous as well, and might block some of the scripting used in XenForo (although I haven't heard of any reports of that happening).

6. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I made a change here several hours ago--let us know in this thread if it continues, as we have to know if the change had any effect.

7. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Lego Master Model Builder Moderator

That's the same warning I get with my initial post every time after first logging in... My fix has been to just use the back key then the forward key and then I can post no problemo...

8. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    But it's gone now?

9. Mr Bill

Sorry I've ben offline for a few days. yes, it seems to be fixed.

10. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    OK, good deal. I found something in common with a few others who had the same problem; we've all made the change and it seems to have fixed the problem.

11. Mr Bill

So... what was the cause?

--Mr. Bill

12. Harry

Snarky military types? :laugh:

13. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    JavaScript with something I added was not compatible with the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.