Problems with the Conversation Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
I've received this email from our user Chris-An Ordinary Fool regarding the Conversation feature. He indicates that he's having a lot of problems both replying to and initiating private conversations.

Harry, Sorry to email you but I'm having serious issues on the forum with the conversation replies feature. It literally took me 10 mins to get that reply to you. Then I wanted to send a separate conversation to you on this issue of not being able to reply on conversations but it just won't even let me start a new conversation. I am constantly getting an error has occurs in red banner at the top pop up saying The following error occured, please enter a valid message. I was thinking it was the copy and paste but even if I type just a few words into the reply it still gives me the error.
I've been meaning to ask you about this last week too.
Just wondered if you have heard of others with this problem. Sorry again to email you but it just won't let me reply and now it won't let me start a new conversation either. Seems to be only happening in the conversations section of the forum.
Thanks
Chris
I have no idea if this is widespread or a local problem with Chris' setup.

Harry

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Let Go...Let God (ONJ)
Thanks Harry,

I wanted to add that it not only happened last night but also last week in replying to conversations. In addition, I found that it is not only happening in replying to conversations but also when replying to posts. In fact it happen last night, I went to reply to the thread in the Carpenters section titled "Fake CD alert" and when I went to hit post reply I got the same message, a sorta pop up came toward the top of the page that said, The following error occured, please enter a valid message" It had red in the color of the pop up. So then I hit ok and it brought me back to my reply (which was still there) so I hit post reply again and the same error message appeared. So then I signed out, re-signed in and replied again to the post and same error again. Finally after about 6-8 tries it took my reply.

So I wanted to mention that it not only is happening on conversation replied but also on replying to regular posts. I just wondered if this has happened to anyone else?
If it happens again I will try to grab a print screen of the error and send it to you.
Thanks

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Which browser are you using on your computer? Which operating system? That info might be helpful when Rudy comes back around these parts.

Harry

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Let Go...Let God (ONJ)
I'm using IE 8, Windows XP

Yesterday seemed to give me the hardest time replying yet today it worked fine. It happened a few times last week as well. Maybe it's just a glitch but if it happens again I'll take a screen shot if that will help.

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
I have no idea if this is widespread or a local problem with Chris' setup.
It is likely a local problem, although I rule nothing out. We usually suggest clearing out cookies for all amcorner.com sites, which would be a good place to start. Also, in general (for any browser): if any ad blocking or script blocking add-ons are in place, disable those temporarily to see if they are the problem. Some computer security packages can be overzealous as well, and might block some of the scripting used in XenForo (although I haven't heard of any reports of that happening).

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
I made a change here several hours ago--let us know in this thread if it continues, as we have to know if the change had any effect.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
That's the same warning I get with my initial post every time after first logging in... My fix has been to just use the back key then the forward key and then I can post no problemo...

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Sorry I've ben offline for a few days. yes, it seems to be fixed.

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
OK, good deal. I found something in common with a few others who had the same problem; we've all made the change and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom