Profile of a Carpenters' Fan

Well, certainly an interesting question! What is my profile? Well hard to say, really! I heard them and loved them as child knowing only the sounds, and came back as an adult appreciating the art.

In between, I love Bing Crosby, Nick Cave, Diamanda Galás, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Einstürzende Neubauten, Ornette Coleman, Django Reinhart, Claude Thornhill & Otomo Yoshihide! The Cure!
Louis Armstrong, Nat Cole! King!!!! X!!!

And Karen, Rich and Doug. John Bettis; Tony! Et. Al!

I love cooking. Red wine, scotch, white wine, bourbon, beer, reading, walking. Exploring.

Creating! Well, now! For now!?!?!?

Reading fiction, history, biography, a story

I would expect that we are a diverse group. I appreciate good music but mostly pop, and even occasionally rock. But talent is always the key and much of what we see today is not what I consider talent..
This is a great topic James and one we don't often discuss but it's always been in the back of my mind. What is the profile of a Carpenters fan?

I don't consider myself a Carpenters fan, but a music fan who listens to Carpenters. I listen to any number of artists, often in the same evening. After a Carpenters album, I might spin something like the chamber jazz of Eberhard Weber, or Van Halen's first album, or Elvis, or Metallica, maybe some Maynard Ferguson or Stan Kenton, Rick James, Debussy's "Nocturnes", Sade, Led Zeppelin, Gino Soccio, Joe Sample, and/or Henry Mancini. (Those are snippets of my actual listening over the past week.) For favorite artists I do have complete or nearly complete collections of their releases. I do appreciate "talent" (as @PJW points out), but I fit the profile of a music listener and collector who's open to just about everything.

I would expect that we are a diverse group. I appreciate good music but mostly pop, and even occasionally rock. But talent is always the key and much of what we see today is not what I consider talent..

Here we go again, musical "dad-ism"... (You kids call that $#!+ MUSIC?? Now this HERE's music...)

Speaking of Carpenters' Fan Profiles,
my observation....as one common attribute,
a rather intelligent group of people.
'Intelligence' , being a rather subjective expression,
but, in terms of the available evidence as promulgated on this board,
I'd definitely stick to that description.
(Of course, Drummer Jim Gordon might be intelligent, also,
but with extenuating circumstances.)
Much of the writing expressed on this forum consists of prose
which is lucid, if not poetic at times.
Evidence is weighed, sources are documented , and various viewpoints
are masterfully presented.
All in all, a pleasure to peruse.

I disagree completely. There's plenty of talent. It just isn't being used properly. Justin Bieber is, in reality, quite talented. He's just using that talent at the service of rudimentary songwriting and production. To say there's little talent out there is pushing it way too far, IMHO.

Ed

With this thread being revisited (and thank you for that, Charlie D), I continue to be hopeful in my original thesis in creating this thread: that, by and large, Carpenters' fans are basically "wonderful people." Being a student of psychology and health sciences, I originally wanted to explore this "profile" business. Even if concrete, objective data are not available, there is much anecdotal evidence to support my theory, particularly here at the Corner, where we are a diverse group yet I have seen and read much here over the years that inspires and enlightens me. On this Christmas Day 2015, "Happy is the way I'm feeling." And I thank the Corner community for that! :)

People tend to pigeon-hole fans of other music genres, such as rap, metal. Does it not take a certain type of person to appreciate "soft rock?" Is there not a certain sensitivity for one to appreciate the angelic beauty of Karen's voice? Many have listed the Carpenters as a "guilty pleasure" or referred to themselves as "closeted" fans. Does it not require a certain indignation for one to value and treasure the Carpenters and their music in the face of so many who treat the Carpenters with disdain? Must we all be "nerds?"

I would assume a certain type of fan would seek out this website and participate in these discussions. And these discussions, many times supportive, other rare times antagonistic, keep us interested in the continuing dialogue. In that vein, I offer my sincerest public apologies to Jeff (djn) and Moderator Harry for an occasion or two when I might have offended (but honestly, without intending to do so).

So for anyone interested in such psychological exploration, does a typical Carpenters' fan fit a certain profile? I would gladly and greatly appreciate any feedback. But maybe, just maybe, it's my nerdy, sensitive, indignant nature that compels me to ask these questions... Thanks for your indulgence with this lengthy post.
I don't think it takes a certain type of person to appreciate soft rock or Carpenters' music. All types of people like a whole range of different things. For instance, I like a lot of Carpenters' music but I also like soul music, blues, rock, reggae, ska, jazz, country, folk, traditional, classical, choral, world, pop, some techno, etc. (True, some of these styles aren't too far removed from some of Carpenters' output).

Carpenters were probably my favourite recording act when I was a child. Now, they are one of probably two or three hundred acts whose music I particularly enjoy.

I think it's safe to say that a 'Carpenters' fan probably enjoys melody, harmony, instrumentation, arrangements and piano parts that are classically-influenced, romantic songs and a female voice that is deeper-set, rather than high-pitched, or at least some of these elements of Carpenters' recordings, amongst their other interests.

I don't think you can make the judgement that someone is a 'nice person' because they like Carpenters' music, or 'not a nice person' because they like, say, heavy metal instead.

As for motives for fans joining a forum like this, I guess there are a lot of reasons. A number of us obviously like to look back. There's also the opportunity to analyse something that you love with others who have a similar interest in that thing, (Carpenters' music). There's the sense of community and the chance to discover something you didn't know, to share information or to find out about new releases, interviews or projects, etc.

In my case, I joined the forum once I found out about it, because I had been out of touch with Carpenters music for close to 30 years, though I never stopped loving them. For some strange reason, it did not occur to me for many years to look up Carpenters on CDs or on the Internet. Once I did, I realized that there was a tremendous amount of information, music, appearances, etc. that had accumulated over the years that I had no idea existed. The forum helped me get closer to that.

You really know this forum for the very good information that each Fan delivers. I really like the music in Spanish today, rock bands from the 70s and some groups like QUEEN, ABBA, SIMPLY RED among others.
But I think it was the voice of Karen that captivated me at 14 (now 25) I had never felt a voice that caused me melancholy, happiness and other feelings at the same time .... it is also great to find people who love the great Carpenters. :goodie:

Back
Top Bottom