Public Broadcasting Exclusive: Carpenters The Complete Singles Release

Travelling back in time....to March 1975, when Richard Carpenter stated:
"Never think about royalties and money coming from a single."

Never say never, I suppose.

I saw that too but is it really additional footage because we don't really know what was on the prior PTV version they're referring to.

I posted this too quickly on my lunch hour and got this wrong. PTV is Public TV and the DVD I have of this actually says "this special program, as seen on PBS" and "this expanded collectors edition contains previously unavailable bonus footage"

I'm not aware of a DVD of Close to You Remembering the Carpenters that does NOT contain this bonus footage as they are referring to....so it's still unclear if they are referring to this same bonus footage that only appeared on PBS and distributed by MPI home video, or if they are referring to some other additional footage that did not appear on the 1998 original release first aired by PBS.

If I had to guess, it's probably the same exact DVD with the same bonus footage that appeared on the 1998 release through PBS. It has seen many different covers since the original release in 1998 and it appears they have changed the cover art yet again for this upcoming PBS special.

I'm hoping that someone will report back with the results of the DVD since I don't get that tv channel and won't see it officially air. I wonder if Richard will be making a televised appearance on that station.

I also don't think they will offer the Complete Singles 3 CD set by itself, they are looking for large donations as these stations are hurting for funds just like everyone.

I never would have thought that a U.S. Singles Collection would appear let alone from a PBS special.

Last edited:
Since when was Don't Cry For Me Argentina released as a US single in 1983? That's a new one on me!

Here are scans of my 45 for this single, this is the cover art that I use for my iTunes library when I burned the 45 rpm into an mp3. My 45 came in a memories sleeve, I'm not sure there was any official 45 rpm cover art. It will be interesting when this US Singles Collection is released will it include all the original 45 cover art, like the Japanese did for their set.

Although Calling Occupants shows 7:07, it's actually the edited version and Argentina is also the edited version.

Calling%20Occu45.jpg~original

Argentina45.jpg~original

I just ordered as well...I just hope they don't offer a different special "On Air" like the first 200 callers will received signed copies by Richard. I would really beat myself up over that although I can't tune in so what am I thinking. lol

Does anyone have or has anyone seen the original picture that's used for the DVD in this set? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

ok. Either on this site or another I mentioned a long time ago that I REALLY wanted a set that had the A&B sides of the original singles. I even started making my own, but was missing a couple - Ticket to Ride was one and Calling Occupants was another. This is VERY cool. Not sure I can justify the cost, but I may need to try....

One question to find out the answer to: exactly which mixes are these? I wouldn't trust Universal to get it right, but I would hope that Richard et al would know that these were the actual original mixes (mono if necessary), as released, for these tracks, and not just catalog tracks grabbed and thrown together.

I'll wait for this to hit the used bins...

I believe the DVD differs from previous releases as I do not recall an "official" release of the White House performance or video of "Ave Maria" which is likely from the Christmas Special:

Close to You: Remembering The Carpenters showcases rare performances and extensive archival footage, underscoring the timelessness and enduring appeal of the Carpenters’ singular sound. Herb Alpert, Burt Bacharach, Petula Clark and Paul Williams have all contributed their remembrances.

During the pledge special, The Complete Singles will be available for the first time. The Carpenters’ yuletide perennial Christmas Portrait – Special Edition CD is also part of the pledge offering with Richard and Karen’s beautiful renditions of “(There’s No Place Like) Home For The Holidays,” “I’ll Be Home For Christmas,” and of course, “Merry Christmas Darling.” In addition, a revised DVD of Close to You: Remembering the Carpenters with new cover art (pictured here) will be offered as a Public Television exclusive containing 60 minutes of bonus features with complete song performances from the Carpenters not on the previous DVD version plus “The Carpenters at The White House” featurette, shot when President Nixon was in office, rare television and radio jingles, a photo music montage and a rendition of Karen and Richard performing “Ave Maria.”

Mine is ordered!! Very excited!

Excited for this release. Definitely going to get this and feeling good about supporting PBS again. Not gonna lie...the cover art to the Singles A&B collection is a bit disappointing. Love the rad new iteration of the DVD set, though...
CLOSE-TO-YOU-REMEMBERING-THE-CARPENTERS-DVD-SLEEVE-REVISED-2015-212x300.jpg

http://theseconddisc.com/2015/08/24...plete-singles-released-for-public-television/

EXCLUSIVE! It’s Yesterday Once More: Carpenters “Complete Singles” Released For Public Television

AUGUST 24, 2015 BY JOE MARCHESE

BUY NOW FROM KQED.ORG

On November 5, 1969, the very first single by Carpenters was released on A&M Records. “Ticket to Ride” b/w “Your Wonderful Parade” announced the fresh talents of Richard Carpenter, 23, and Karen Carpenter, 19. The dramatically reinterpreted Beatles song introduced radio to Karen’s richly intimate voice, and the bitingly ironic flipside heralded the songwriting team of Richard Carpenter and John Bettis – while both sides revealed Richard’s prodigious gifts for arrangement and orchestration. On Valentine’s Day, 1970, “Ticket to Ride” entered the Billboard Hot 100 where, five weeks later, it peaked at a more-than-respectable No. 54. With their very next single, “(They Long to Be) Close to You,” the Carpenters would reach No. 1 on the Billboard Pop and Easy Listening charts, as well as topping Cash Box and Record World. In a career that spanned 1969 to 1983, Richard and Karen would notch 20 Billboard top 40 hits, including three #1s and five #2s, as well as fifteen Adult Contemporary #1s. The brother and sister earned three Grammy Awards, fifteen more nominations, and two song inductions into the Grammy Hall of Fame. More than 100 million Carpenters records have been sold. Now, the enduring music of Richard and Karen Carpenter is being celebrated with a very special new 3-CD release in conjunction with the public television return of the definitive documentary devoted to the duo.

CarpentersThe Complete Singles features, for the very first time, the A- and B-side of every Carpenters single released on A&M Records in the United States between 1969 and 1989 in their original single versions. As longtime fans and collectors know, the Carpenters’ singles frequently featured variations in mixes, length, vocals and instrumentation from the familiar album versions and subsequent remixes. These unique single versions have been highly sought-after on CD, and some of the tracks have never previously been released in the CD format at all.

The Complete Singles collects 66 songs on three discs, from 1969’s “Ticket to Ride” through 1989’s cassette-single release of Karen’s solo “If I Had You.” “Ticket to Ride” and “Your Wonderful Parade” are heard in their original mono single mixes, while the remaining 64 tracks are presented in their original stereo single mixes. I’m thrilled to announce that I have written the new liner notes for the 16-page booklet included with The Complete Singles. The set has been beautifully designed by Bill Pitzonka and includes rare and previously unpublished photos of the duo. Every shimmering track on this first-of-its-kind anthology has been freshly remastered at Universal Mastering with Jim Pierson and Richard Carpenter himself having assembled and supervised the release.

The Complete Singles is being released as a Public Television exclusive in conjunction with the upcoming broadcasts of Close to You: Remembering the Carpenters as part of the acclaimed seriesMy Music. The Complete Singles will not be for sale in stores or through online retail outlets and can only be purchased by making a contribution to Public Television stations when they begin airing Close to You: Remembering The Carpenters this December. However, KQED-TV in San Francisco will be airing an advance, sneak-peek broadcast of Close to You on Thursday, August 27 at 8:00 pm and is already offering The Complete Singles on their website which allows fans nationwide to make a contribution to KQED and receive The Complete Singles CD set by October, two months prior to the nationwide release on Public Television.

To order, please use the following link:

https://www.kqed.org/donate/catalogue.jsp?&pgmid=6425&page=1

CD 1

1. Ticket to Ride (A&M 1142, 1969)
  2. Your Wonderful Parade (A&M 1142, 1969)
  3. (They Long to Be) Close to You (A&M 1183, 1970)
  4. I Kept On Loving You (A&M 1183, 1970)
  5. We’ve Only Just Begun (A&M 1217, 1970)
  6. All of My Life (A&M 1217, 1970)
  7. Merry Christmas Darling (A&M 1236, 1970)
  8. Mr. Guder (A&M 1236, 1970)
  9. For All We Know (A&M 1243, 1971)
  10. Don’t Be Afraid (A&M 1243, 1971)
  11. Rainy Days and Mondays (A&M 1260, 1971)
  12. Saturday (A&M 1260, 1971)
  13. Superstar (A&M 1289, 1971)
  14. Bless the Beasts and Children (A&M 1289, 1971)
  15. Hurting Each Other (A&M 1322, 1972)
  16. Maybe It’s You (A&M 1322, 1972)
  17. It’s Going to Take Some Time (A&M 1351, 1972)
  18. Flat Baroque (A&M 1351, 1972)
  19. Goodbye to Love (A&M 1367, 1972)
  20. Crystal Lullaby (A&M 1367, 1972)
  21. Sing (A&M 1413, 1973)
  22. Druscilla Penny (A&M 1413, 1973)
  23. Yesterday Once More (A&M 1446, 1973)
  24. Road Ode (A&M 1446, 1973)
  25. Top of the World (A&M 1468, 1973)
  26. Heather (A&M 1468, 1973)
CD 2

1. I Won’t Last a Day Without You (A&M 1521, 1974)
  2. One Love (A&M 1521, 1974)
  3. Please Mr. Postman (A&M 1646, 1974)
  4. This Masquerade (A&M 1646, 1974)
  5. Santa Claus is Coming to Town (A&M 1648, 1974)
  6. Only Yesterday (A&M 1677, 1975)
  7. Happy (A&M 1677, 1975)
  8. Solitaire (A&M 1721, 1975)
  9. Love Me for What I Am (A&M 1721, 1975)
  10. There’s a Kind of Hush (All Over the World) (A&M 1800, 1976)
  11. (I’m Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You (A&M 1800, 1976)
  12. I Need to Be in Love (A&M 1828, 1976)
  13. Sandy (A&M 1828, 1976)
  14. Goofus (A&M 1859, 1976)
  15. Boat to Sail (A&M 1859, 1976)
  16. All You Get from Love is a Love Song (A&M 1940, 1977)
  17. I Have You (A&M 1940, 1977)
  18. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft (A&M 1978, 1977)
  19. Can’t Smile Without You (A&M 1978, 1977)
  20. Sweet, Sweet Smile (A&M 2008, 1978)
  21. The Christmas Song (A&M 1991, 1977)
CD 3

1. I Believe You (A&M 2097, 1978)
  2. B’wana She No Home (A&M 2097, 1978)
  3. Touch Me When We’re Dancing (A&M 2344, 1981)
  4. Because We Are in Love (A&M 2344, 1981)
  5. (Want You) Back in My Life Again (A&M 2370, 1981)
  6. Somebody’s Been Lyin’ (A&M 2370, 1981)
  7. Those Good Old Dreams (A&M 2386, 1981)
  8. When It’s Gone (It’s Just Gone) (A&M 2386, 1981)
  9. Beechwood 4-5789 (A&M 2405, 1982)
  10. Two Sides (A&M 2405, 1982)
  11. Don’t Cry for Me Argentina (A&M 8629, 1983)
  12. Make Believe It’s Your First Time (A&M 2585, 1983)
  13. Look to Your Dreams (A&M 2585, 1983)
  14. Your Baby Doesn’t Love You Anymore (A&M 2620, 1984)
  15. Sailing on the Tide (A&M 2620, 1984)
  16. Honolulu City Lights (A&M 8667, 1986)
  17. I Just Fall in Love Again (A&M 8667, 1986)
  18. If I Had You (A&M 1471, 1989)
  19. The Uninvited Guest (A&M 1471, 1989)

Harry
Well, OK. I bit too. I do wish Christmas Portrait was the original, hard to find in CD version, but like Harry, I will give/donate it.

KQED will probably get more of my money when the new Jacques Pépin series, Heart and Soul, airs. I love his shows. I love to cook, and he is like the Grandfather I never knew.

Hi all, I just discovered the site tonight - thanks for letting me share in the memories. One quick question I can answer is that the public tv version of the DVD will have full extended performances of several of their hits as a bonus feature. In addition to the original extras, the additional footage includes the full extended versions of six of the songs that we're only seen as clips in the original release. Also, as I understand it "Santa Claus" is from a a new tape transfer on the new singles set, not a disc-dub. Shipping will likely be 4-6 weeks from order as we're still in the final mastering stage.

This has been a special project near and dear to us all at TJL, for myself and my team led by Jim Pierson we have long dreamed of making happen. We're so grateful to be part of it and for your kind support.... and thanks for your support of public broadcasting in San Francisco. Supporting the station making this effort possible is how special projects like this are able to manifest.

Hope this helps - thank you again for your enthusiasm.
(TJ Lubinsky) executive producer/MY MUSIC series as seen on public television

Excited for this release. Definitely going to get this and feeling good about supporting PBS again. Not gonna lie...the cover art to the Singles A&B collection is a bit disappointing. Love the rad new iteration of the DVD set, though...
CLOSE-TO-YOU-REMEMBERING-THE-CARPENTERS-DVD-SLEEVE-REVISED-2015-212x300.jpg

Yes, this picture! If someone could find a link to or post on here the original of this it would be much appreciated!

Such a beautiful, wistful picture of the two. It's just great.

Hi all, I just discovered the site tonight - thanks for letting me share in the memories. One quick question I can answer is that the public tv version of the DVD will have full extended performances of several of their hits as a bonus feature. In addition to the original extras, the additional footage includes the full extended versions of six of the songs that we're only seen as clips in the original release. Also, as I understand it "Santa Claus" is from a a new tape transfer on the new singles set, not a disc-dub. Shipping will likely be 4-6 weeks from order as we're still in the final mastering stage.

This has been a special project near and dear to us all at TJL, for myself and my team led by Jim Pierson we have long dreamed of making happen. We're so grateful to be part of it and for your kind support.... and thanks for your support of public broadcasting in San Francisco. Supporting the station making this effort possible is how special projects like this are able to manifest.

Hope this helps - thank you again for your enthusiasm.
(TJ Lubinsky) executive producer/MY MUSIC series as seen on public television

Thanks TJL for signing up to provide this additional information. I have the original 1998 DVD from PBS. Do you know if Merry Christmas Darling is one of the 6 extended versions on the new revised DVD to include the full length video?

I think the cover art for both the Singles CD Collection and the DVD are very nice!!!
I ordered the whole set so excited!!!

Thanks TJL for providing us with that information. Any more info that you'd care to share will be eagerly received.

Harry

Yes, this picture! If someone could find a link to or post on here the original of this it would be much appreciated!

Such a beautiful, wistful picture of the two. It's just great.

I think we all know that the picture is from the Horizon sessions. There's a similar shot on the back of the tour booklet that came from the Horizon-era. It's also cropped very close and the expressions and positioning are similar but not exact.

Harry

CharlieD, you bring up an interesting, apt, question.
The exact photograph of Karen and Richard, as presented on the cover of above PBS DVD,
seems to be a rather elusive one to locate--i.e., I am unable to find it in any of my memorabilia items.
The booklet for the Japanese Album 12 Best Pops-Volume One, has a variant of the above; as
does the Horizon Song Book and aforementioned Horizon Tour Booklet.
Perhaps another member actually possesses this exact photograph.
Thus, as Harry points out, obviously it originates from the Horizon Sessions--"we" all recognize same,
however, exactly where that photograph appears, eludes my search.
(The photos I am able to locate picture both Richard and Karen smiling.)

Doesn't look like they ship to Canada...frustrating! Maybe different for other PBS stations? I want this!
Uh-oh. I was afraid of that. A lot of international fans will not be happy about that. However, it could also be that the discs will be released in other territories without the involvement of Public Television. We'll have to see.

Harry

Doesn't look like they ship to Canada...frustrating! Maybe different for other PBS stations? I want this!
I did a little research, and found out that the PBS station that we get on cable in western Canada, KCTS Seattle, has an office in Vancouver BC. They ship promo gifts to Canadian donors, and they also issue Canadian tax receipts. Hopefully they'll be showing this program during the December pledge drive, and hopefully the Canadian dollar will have gone up by then!

This is the first Carpenters set in some time that I've actually been excited to get. What I like is the fact that it's got a lot of "not-heard-a-million-times" songs mixed in with the hits, so it will make for a better casual listen. (I realize the chronological-order thing, but I still don't understand why RC always feels the need to stick the Christmas songs in with everything else -- but at least that's easily fixed for listening.)

Plus I'm excited to finally hear the non-DJ version of "Calling Occupants." It's funny -- I never get tired of hearing the DJ parts on the oldies medley, but that stuff on "Occupants" is like a fingernail on a chalkboard to me.

I'm a bit confused (as physicists tend to be!):
Not "all done"?
I have a feeling this was a "Hey, that's right, we haven't done that before" combined with a desire to help out PBS.

But as I remember, the "all done" comment was in a conversation where he was asked if there was anything left to be released.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom