Public Broadcasting Exclusive: Carpenters The Complete Singles Release

This is the first Carpenters set in some time that I've actually been excited to get. What I like is the fact that it's got a lot of "not-heard-a-million-times" songs mixed in with the hits, so it will make for a better casual listen. (I realize the chronological-order thing, but I still don't understand why RC always feels the need to stick the Christmas songs in with everything else -- but at least that's easily fixed for listening.)

Plus I'm excited to finally hear the non-DJ version of "Calling Occupants." It's funny -- I never get tired of hearing the DJ parts on the oldies medley, but that stuff on "Occupants" is like a fingernail on a chalkboard to me.

I have a feeling this was a "Hey, that's right, we haven't done that before" combined with a desire to help out PBS.

But as I remember, the "all done" comment was in a conversation where he was asked if there was anything left to be released.

Again, this was in relation to my question more specific to stuff that's never been released. Everything here has been released *somewhere*, and my question was more specific to new, never before heard unreleased stuff. Richard knew this was what I was referring to.

This should sell very well on pbs, people will be sitting at home saying oh I remember that song and that one too and oh yeah that one. It has all their hits people will remember hearing on the radio. The general public won't remember the album cuts but the hits are easily identifiable and bring back memories.

The more I think about the DVD adding additional footage is a sure way to sell more copies. I was on the fence about the DVD but now glad I ordered. The cover art is amazing, love that photo.

Mono versions of 2 of the singles have never been released in a digital format before so I wouldn't say everything has been released before. Correct?

Mono versions of 2 of the singles have never been released in a digital format before so I wouldn't say everything has been released before. Correct?

I would think that would be true. My hope has been that a track of Karen's that was previously unfinished or perhaps finished and unreleased might see the light of day. To that, Richard says he's done putting any more out. Understood I suppose. :)

[QUOTE="T
(TJ Lubinsky) executive producer/MY MUSIC series as seen on public television[/QUOTE]

Do you know if Carpenters segment will be shown at other PBS stations or just the one in California? If it is coming to St. Louis, I would wait and support our local station... I checked their website and saw nothing about the Carpenters on the pledge drive segments......
Jonathan

ps. Still want to know which singles have never been on CD as the original single version....

I think I have something with the DVD picture on it...maybe in a music book collection. I will try to check on that.

I'm pretty sure that the PBS program will air in almost every market that carries the MY MUSIC series. You've seen these - they typically run on Saturday nights in prime time featuring some segment of older music. There was the recent Bacharach special, they do doo-wop shows, old sixties-style groups, etc. But from what we've learned, KQED is leading the way on this with a very early showing this week. Most other affiliates will air it in December - that's why the Christmas album tie-in.

The producers have let us know of the upcoming KQED showing so that we can get in early and get the stuff before all of the other markets.

Harry

ps. Still want to know which singles have never been on CD as the original single version....

I can't think of that many...most of the original single mixes were released on the Japanese CD Singles box set. If "Santa Claus" is from a tape transfer rather than a vinyl copy as has been mentioned, that's probably the star of the show. Same I guess would apply for "Occupants" but then why didn't the Japanese set get those?

I've mentioned it before but if these are really all taken from the 45 single masters than Your Wonderful Parade will be a shortened edited version never before released in digital format. Richard vocal is a different take than the album version.

It's interesting to scan down the list and note what songs they picked for the B sides. In most cases, the B side was a song they thought surely would never make for a hit single...hence things like "Saturday" and "Druscilla Penny" being chosen. But a few times, a B-side would become a hit in spite of that -- happened a lot, not just with Carpenters. I suppose one of the most famous examples is the Doobie Brothers' "Black Water," which was a B-side to "Another Park, Another Sunday." Some DJ flipped the record and began playing "Black Water," which caught fire and subsequently became the Doobies' first #1 hit.

Yes, I do stand corrected on this point--my questioning the "all done."
The interview with Chris May asked about unreleased/new material, and the response was "all done".
However, my reading of Chris May's August 4 (#225) and July 19 (#218,#220) posts (the interview thread)
were that (quote), "Richard's all done" and "not interested in devoting much time to Carpenters".
This is where I (erroneously) concluded that nothing was in the pipeline, not to mention Richard, himself, stated that he was
not working on anything (the audio interview--but, even there Richard said "not at the moment").
But, I am in error, nevertheless.
This set would have been a marvelous opportunity for an unreleased track.
I have no intention of enlarging my--already--bloated cd collection.
I am all done !

It's interesting to scan down the list and note what songs they picked for the B sides.

In many cases, this is actually more of a business strategy than an artistic one. The b-sides of singles are often used as way to generate songwriting royalties if the artist didn't write the a-side. That's been a standard practice in the business forever and even has a slang term that I can't remember off the top of my head ("free riding" or something like that). Royalties are paid for both sides of the single regardless of which side is the hit. So, when the "We've Only Just Begun" single sells a couple million copies, Richard gets the same amount in royalties for "All Of My Life" that Paul Williams and Roger Nichols get even if no one ever actually flips the record over to play his song. That's why traditionally, most b-sides were "throwaway" songs.

The b-sides "Your Wonderful Parade," "All Of My Life," "Mr. Guder," "Don't Be Afraid," "Saturday," "Flat Baroque," "Crystal Lullaby," and "Druscilla Penny" were all Richard Carpenter or Carpenter/Bettis compositions and often were pulled from previous albums. Since most of those a-sides were million-selling singles, Richard and John would have been raking in tons of dough for themselves even though people were buying the records for the hit on the other side. Very smart!!

The b-sides "Your Wonderful Parade," "All Of My Life," "Mr. Guder," "Don't Be Afraid," "Saturday," "Flat Baroque," "Crystal Lullaby," and "Druscilla Penny" were all Richard Carpenter or Carpenter/Bettis compositions and often were pulled from previous albums. Since most of those a-sides were million-selling singles, Richard and John would have been raking in tons of dough for themselves even though people were buying the records for the hit on the other side. Very smart!!

Good point, I never thought of it that way that was a smart business move sorta double dipping so to speak.

In many cases, this is actually more of a business strategy than an artistic one. The b-sides of singles are often used as way to generate songwriting royalties if the artist didn't write the a-side. That's been a standard practice in the business forever and even has a slang term that I can't remember off the top of my head ("free riding" or something like that). Royalties are paid for both sides of the single regardless of which side is the hit. So, when the "We've Only Just Begun" single sells a couple million copies, Richard gets the same amount in royalties for "All Of My Life" that Paul Williams and Roger Nichols get even if no one ever actually flips the record over to play his song. That's why traditionally, most b-sides were "throwaway" songs.

I have to admit, that practice kind of bugged me when "I Have You" was used as a B-side twice...

I did a little research, and found out that the PBS station that we get on cable in western Canada, KCTS Seattle, has an office in Vancouver BC. They ship promo gifts to Canadian donors, and they also issue Canadian tax receipts. Hopefully they'll be showing this program during the December pledge drive, and hopefully the Canadian dollar will have gone up by then!

Glad you have the patience to wait! Yeah, I hope our Loonie will be a bit stronger then. I didn't want to wait that long so I'm using a mail redirect company. I've used them before for online stores that don't ship outside the US and I had no problems. Hopefully it will work out that way again.

i'm excited! I didn't know a version of calling occupants was available in long format without the intro.

Hi all, I just discovered the site tonight - thanks for letting me share in the memories. One quick question I can answer is that the public tv version of the DVD will have full extended performances of several of their hits as a bonus feature. In addition to the original extras, the additional footage includes the full extended versions of six of the songs that we're only seen as clips in the original release. Also, as I understand it "Santa Claus" is from a a new tape transfer on the new singles set, not a disc-dub. Shipping will likely be 4-6 weeks from order as we're still in the final mastering stage.

This has been a special project near and dear to us all at TJL, for myself and my team led by Jim Pierson we have long dreamed of making happen. We're so grateful to be part of it and for your kind support.... and thanks for your support of public broadcasting in San Francisco. Supporting the station making this effort possible is how special projects like this are able to manifest.

Hope this helps - thank you again for your enthusiasm.
(TJ Lubinsky) executive producer/MY MUSIC series as seen on public television
I live in San Francisco, and I love a lot of KQED's productions. Check Please, Jacques Pépin, etc. I am happy to support them with this great thing.

I have to say that this American release is exciting. Here we are some 46 years after duos inception and a vast extraordinary package like this will be surfacing. Particularly on the heels of the RC interview and comment "all done". I also like the fact that Richard had a hands on touch. I don't know the ultimate amount of work this project required but it does indicate to me that Richard is indeed only semi-retired. The P B S audience is a fantastic target audience for starters. Chances are that the viewers here will have had a first time round listening adventure. Much the same as our forum members. The exposure may prove to be a great showcase for the new listener as well. Can't help but hope that continued CarpenterS success and interest generates a catalog revisit by RC and UNIVERSAL. hmmmmm, my fantasy life....

Again, Jeff, you 'hit the nail on the head',
I do hope that interest in Carpenters--sum total, not just this package being offered on PBS--
is fueled among the wider masses.
Certainly, the 'fans' of Carpenters will lock on to this PBS offering---however, I would love to witness
a much more expansive appreciation of the duo and their music.
The (A-side) singles, alone, do not encompass the entirety of 'the best of ' Carpenters.
And, the 'flip' sides of those singles are a poor representation, generally, of their best album cuts.
Nice that Richard Carpenter got a 'free-ride' on many B-sides, that's business--as they say.
But, I prefer Carpenters to be remembered for their best output, aside from merely singles.
(Although, I would not argue that many of those singles are masterpieces.)
That Special Edition Christmas Portrait should be jettisoned for the Original Christmas Portrait.
Only my humble opinion.

That Special Edition Christmas Portrait should be jettisoned for the Original Christmas Portrait.

I agree. Or better yet, the Christmas Collection double-disc. The Christmas Portrait: Special Edition is so readily available that even most casual fans probably own it already. It will probably end up being a duplicate for many of the people interested in purchasing this package. The Christmas Collection would be more likely to add some additional incentive for buyers since it's not that common and contains some music you can't get anywhere else.

Hi all...

Just got an email from our local PBS station (based on my inquiry to them). They will be doing the same promotion in early December! Much happier to donate to my local station!

Greg

Someone mentioned earlier on this thread that they had seen a similar shot of the new cover for the upcoming PBS DVD Remembering the Carpenters. There is an alternate shot of this photo that was the 1976 Carpenters Tour Book, I believe there is one currently on e bay. If you own The Mook book from Yuko back in 1996 on page 95 there are some color pages of the Japan tours and the covers of all the tour books are listed and here is the photo I just scanned from The Mook. Richard is wearing the same shirt.

The%20Mook%20Tour%20Book%20Covers.jpg~original

I agree that this news is exciting. I also agree Actorman and think both Christmas CD's would make a more attractive package, but I like the Christmas Portrait cover much better and it is more nostalgic. I sometimes wish it could be repackaged as Christmas Portrait Double Portion or something similar keeping Christmas Portrait as its name. The pictures that Chris-An Ordinary Fool show from the 1976 Tour Book look better for packaging as well. I do like the picture on the Singles package, and I once had sheet music to Top of The World that had that picture on it. I have all these songs multiple times and over the years have purchased every digital purchase both CD and iTunes, and most likely I also purchased each LP three times for each project since I wore them all out. Love Me For What I Am is one of my favorites so I am super glad to see it on a special compilation. I have much interest in the DVD package and hope that it will eventually see a regular marketplace. PBS needs an applause for this effort and I hope it is more successful than anticipated and helps produce a revival in music Carpenters. I also have a Christmas wish for a song we have not yet heard from Karen. That would make me purchase the entire project regardless of how many times I have already purchased everything else.

Here's a question for those in the know...
Will this album (the Complete Singles) be on A&M/Universal Records and if so, why wouldn't the company chose to release it worldwide?
Also, I know as in the case of Donna Summer, some (not all, yet) of her material has reverted back to her estate from the labels. The estate has since been remastering and re-releasing her albums with bonus material, etc., You see where I am going with this....
Would Richard Carpenter ever own outright the Carpenters catalogue? Would it revert back to him? I"m sure that was probably all contract related if so or if not.
Anyone have any thoughts, news or speculation?

Back
Top Bottom