Public Broadcasting Exclusive: Carpenters The Complete Singles Release

After having already been suckered too many times by all the endless "rarities" and "treasures" that have been offered, I said "enough is enough" and "I am not spending this outrageous amount of money ($180.00) for all this "new" PBS crap. I remained adament for 3 weeks--detesting all my previously regrettable purchases of "compilations" and "never before released" material. Sadly, I must confess: I am happiest when I am anticipating something new from Karen--maybe just a crumb here and there-a slight piano variation or the addition of some strings where they never were originally. Hoping against hope that she will deviate just one note on a familiar tune heard a zillion times before. As I filled out the PBS sales order form on line, I got that same "RUSH" I always had as a kid when I'd buy a new Carpenters 45 or LP and run right home from J.C. Penney's in the Stonewood Shopping Center in Downey---rip off the plastic wrap and smell the brand new record when it came out of the sleeve and put it on the turn table for the first time.

It was always MAGIC to hear Karen sing a new song. Karen gave me one of my very first 45's which of course was her Magic Lamp 45--and from the second I put it on the turn table, I was hooked--I would buy everything--and here I am some 50 freaking years later--still buying everything--just to relive for a moment the thrill and anticipation of what new offering Karen had for me. I only regret that I can't ride over to Karen's house on my Blue Schwinn Sting Ray and have her and Rich autograph it for me.

Dad C. was a wonderful guy--he would always go to a closet and pull something new out and say "did you get one of these yet Kenny?" Mom C. would always have fresh baked chocolate chip & oatmeal cookies and that Newville house smelled like pine-sol and cookies. (I know what you're thinking--but Mom C. was very good to me and my brother--and she's go down to Pacific Savings & Loan and have lunch with my mother. I don't know what she was like behind the doors after I left--but she was always kind and welcoming).

It was a magical time to grow up in Downey--when it really was a wonderful town--and the magic of knowing Karen will never leave me. I can still hear her incredible laugh-the nasty one. She had several but the nasty one was always my favorite. In fact, she would be "nasty laughing" at me right now and saying "Kenny, you would probably buy a pile of dog $#!^ if you thought it looked like Richard". She was amazing--and here I am at 59 years of age--did I really just admit that? I'm 59 and feeling excited like a little kid again--and I just got out my old 1983 CD player which I keep for sentimental reasons--not the least being that it is what I played my very first CD's on--which of course just happened to be The Carpenters CD's (in fact I bought their cd's before I bought a cd player). I'm going to make sure the head is clean and the speakers are wired up properly, get out my old family photo album with all our early, early photos of my family and the Carpenter family and I'll wait impatiently for Mr. Postman to knock on my door! :)

Last edited:
Sadly, I am also in the camp that is going to wait. I have always been in the camp to get on the new release wagon, but there is nothing too earth shattering that I can't wait a little longer to get. The extra performances on the DVD intrusive me, but I need to see something a little more concrete first.

It's hard to top the Japanese Singles Box (which I've sold two times... much to my chagrin), and nothing can top "As Time Goes By."

I am hoping that our PBS station will offer... haven't decided if I will purchase or not. I have just about everything. With a son in college now, I may just have to wait a long time..ha
I don't have the single versions of Ticket/Parade, Occupants, but I think I have everything else.

Since this singles CD was announced and with my being eager to get a copy, I've been playing around with playlists and CD-Rs of this material that I own elsewhere. First up was Disc One, where I found that the total amount of recorded music on there exceeded the 79:57 limit on CDs by coming in at 80:04. Rather than finesse with the silences at the ends of track to shave off a few seconds, I just chopped off "Heather" as it's just an instrumental.
Harry
Harry,
I make a lot of CDR's from my collection and often do a little bit of snipping here and there to bring the time under 80 mins. I try to stay under 79 mins. Some songs benefit from snipping. I can't remember which song - Strength of A Woman or Man Smart, Woman Smarter - whichever it is, the song was improved greatly IMHO. May have been BOTH songs.

Yeah, I would do that too, but this was more of an exercise to see how the new album would sound in terms of flow, etc. It actually holds up quite well as the every-other-song-a-hit format seems to work well, with the album-track b-sides adding color to the proceedings.

The real thing will be here soon enough. I was just curious.

Harry

Well, this is great news indeed! I won't be forking out the dough quite yet, but it's intriguing nonetheless.

Another interesting feature of this CD hits compilation is that it has the rare distinction of not featuring "Superstar" and "Rainy Days and Mondays" back to back.
  • Track 11 is "Rainy Days and Mondays," originally released as a single before "Superstar."
  • Track 12 is "Saturday," B-side to "Rainy Days and Mondays."
  • Track 13 is "Superstar."
Having listened to various compilations countless times, it's easy to get the wrong impression that "Superstar" must have been released before "Rainy Days and Mondays." I suspect that Richard was reluctant to separate the two songs yet did so given the format.

Another interesting feature of this CD hits compilation is that it has the rare distinction of not featuring "Superstar" and "Rainy Days and Mondays" back to back.
  • Track 11 is "Rainy Days and Mondays," originally released as a single before "Superstar."
  • Track 12 is "Saturday," B-side to "Rainy Days and Mondays."
  • Track 13 is "Superstar."
Having listened to various compilations countless times, it's easy to get the wrong impression that "Superstar" must have been released before "Rainy Days and Mondays." I suspect that Richard was reluctant to separate the two songs yet did so given the format.

The reason he did that was because Superstar ended on a C-minor chord, and Rainy Days opened with a C-minor chord, and they flowed beautifully. Kind of like on the Anthology album where the "tick-tock" at the end of Close To You on the piano lands on the opening of Ave Maria. One ends in A-flat, the other begins in A-flat.

Listen to A Song For You where Flat Baroque which is written in F-major ends, and goes right into Piano Picker, which starts on a D-minor. It's a relative key to the major, which is part of what determined its flow. Hope that all makes sense! Richard's role acting as a producer would and should! :)

The Tan album had several of those musically sound transitions, even though the "Superstar/Rainy Days" duo is separated. "Superstar" to "Druscilla Penny" to "One Love" all flow really well. And "Rainy Days...", "Saturday", and "Let Me Be The One" always sounded like they belonged together.

Harry

This box set sounds tempting. I smell a Christmas present. :)

I can still hear her incredible laugh-the nasty one. She had several but the nasty one was always my favorite. In fact, she would be "nasty laughing" at me right now and saying "Kenny, you would probably buy a pile of dog $#!^ if you thought it looked like Richard". She was amazing...

Reading this made me laugh (a lot! I'm a bit curious to know what the "nasty laugh" is!). This is the Karen I wish more people knew about, remembered, and cherished. Her sad fate has unfortunately clouded that.

My favorite. Karen Carpenter was the best female vocalist ever, and I doubt that I will hear anyone better in my lifetime.
Video from "Yesterday Once More"
This one just makes me "melt"!

What mix of "Superstar" is this? Is it from the Yesterday Once More CD? I surprisingly like the sound of the extra drums (I believe it's the version of "Superstar" I was introduced to) and it seems they've been omitted from other versions of this song.

And ScottyB... I agree wholeheartedly with you.

What mix of "Superstar" is this? Is it from the Yesterday Once More CD? I surprisingly like the sound of the extra drums (I believe it's the version of "Superstar" I was introduced to) and it seems they've been omitted from other versions of this song.

And ScottyB... I agree wholeheartedly with you.

This was a version included after Richard brought Hal Blaine back in during late '84-'85 and re-cut the drums. In fact if you listen to my interview with Richard, I asked him specifically about this and why he got on the the roll of remixing everything, replacing parts, etc. Hal's drums fills were definitely different, and of course Richard replaced the original acoustic piano, added a Rhodes electric, and left the original Wurlitzer 140b for all the "licks". To this day it is my favorite remix. This was also the session he went back in and added the additional 3 French horn parts using the Kurzweil digital keyboard to fill out the French Horns at the intro and re-intro.

So many of the subtleties described in these threads escape my bean-filled ears...and yet, I love the single mix of "Solitaire" with the pipe organ (the addition that Richard has said wasn't worth all the expense and trouble!).

I love the single mix of "Solitaire" with the pipe organ (the addition that Richard has said wasn't worth all the expense and trouble!).

I absolutely love the subtle difference that makes to the song! I listen to it a lot now whereas I never used to before I'd heard the single mix.

I absolutely love the subtle difference that makes to the song! I listen to it a lot now whereas I never used to before I'd heard the single mix.

I prefer the single mix from '73, because of the analog saturation on the master along with the tambourine track, which was left also on the original album mix, only to subsequently be deleted from every remix following 1973.

Confusion here, I think. Some are talking about "Superstar" and some are talking about "Solitaire".

I sure wish the single mix of Solitaire had been included in the SACD release back in 2004. Same with respect to All You Get From Love Is A Love Song. They would have sounded fantastic in multi-channel sound.

I sure wish the single mix of Solitaire had been included in the SACD release back in 2004. Same with respect to All You Get From Love Is A Love Song. They would have sounded fantastic in multi-channel sound.

I don't for the life of me understand why 'Love Song' was not included in the SACD. It would have been amazing to hear and is after all a bona fide single.

Got this today:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Harry,

Thank you for your generous contribution to KQED.

Due to special circumstances, there is a temporary delay with your requested thank-you gift listed here:

Product Code:
1 CD PC17443
Carpenters: Complete Singles/Christmas 4-CD Set (KQED ONLY)

Please accept our sincere apology for this inconvenience. We will be shipping your gift as soon as we can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright! What single mix can't they find?....

Harry

I got one too

cid:logo26048

Dear Patrick Driscoll,

Thank you for your generous contribution to KQED.

Due to special circumstances, there is a temporary delay with your requested thank-you gifts listed here:

Product Code:
1 CD PC17443
Carpenters: Complete Singles/Christmas 4-CD Set (KQED ONLY)
1 DVD PC17442
Close To You: Remembering The Carpenters (KQED ONLY)

Please accept our sincere apology for this inconvenience. We will be shipping your gifts as soon as we can.

Your satisfaction is our utmost concern and your support is much appreciated. Thank you for understanding that there is a temporary delay with the shipment of your requested thank-you gift due to its popularity. In general, thank-you gifts may arrive two to six weeks from the date your payment is processed, while tickets to scheduled events should arrive approximately two weeks before the event date. If you have any questions, please call KQED Member Services during regular business hours at 415-553-2150, or send us an email at [email protected]

Thank you again for your gracious support and your patience.

Sincerely,

KQED Member Services

P.S. If you have other delayed thank-you gifts, you will be notified separately. Thank You!

Do you think the popularity demand is really the problem?

I got the same notice. The problem is most likely either:

1) They got some quantity of copies and sold them all out, and now they're waiting for additional copies;

or, 2) they are so flooded with orders that they're having trouble processing them all.

I'm not sure how this particular item is being handled, but I do know that when companies like K-Tel used to sell those "Hot Hits of the '70s" (or whatever) compilations on TV, there was always an "allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery" disclaimer at the end of the TV ad. This was not due to the slow postal service; it was due to the fact that no CDs (or LPs) were pressed until AFTER the campaign had ended, thus they would know how many they needed to press up and wouldn't have leftover stock sitting around. That's also the reason why these compilations were always "not sold in stores."

So it's possible here that they "pre-ordered" a certain number of these packages and sales have outstripped that amount, hence the wait for additional product to be delivered. OR, they are just having to deal with more orders than they expected and it's taking more time to process them all.

Back
Top Bottom