Putting Carpenters To Cassette

Kristopher

Well I got most of my collection back… some things I’ll probably never see again. Anyway I now am back to having 3 copies of every carpenters album! Except the 2 Christmas albums just 1 each.

I recently discovered High Bias and Metal tapes. Being unhappy with the somewhat flat sound remastered classics, I decided to do an experiment. I started with Type 2 Maxell XLii and figured this genre would benefit from more treble then bass.

I did every carpenters album from Offering to Lovelines. (Lovelines was the best sounding album of the RM Classics compared to original LP in my opinion.

I recorded and turned my sound receiver low and flipped sides while watching TV all in one day spread across 4 full 100 min tapes.

It’s not even a contest, my tapes sound better then the CDs minus Lovelines which is on “par.” I put Lovelines specifically on a metal tape from LP. THAT outshines the CD itself. Rather then do needle drops and listen digitally, perhaps we should transfer Carpenters to another analogue source?

Made in America is more full on High bias tape alone.. was never happy with that CD and the 180g vinyl is worse.

Well I got most of my collection back… some things I’ll probably never see again. Anyway I now am back to having 3 copies of every carpenters album! Except the 2 Christmas albums just 1 each.

I recently discovered High Bias and Metal tapes. Being unhappy with the somewhat flat sound remastered classics, I decided to do an experiment. I started with Type 2 Maxell XLii and figured this genre would benefit from more treble then bass.

I did every carpenters album from Offering to Lovelines. (Lovelines was the best sounding album of the RM Classics compared to original LP in my opinion.

I recorded and turned my sound receiver low and flipped sides while watching TV all in one day spread across 4 full 100 min tapes.

It’s not even a contest, my tapes sound better then the CDs minus Lovelines which is on “par.” I put Lovelines specifically on a metal tape from LP. THAT outshines the CD itself. Rather then do needle drops and listen digitally, perhaps we should transfer Carpenters to another analogue source?

Made in America is more full on High bias tape alone.. was never happy with that CD and the 180g vinyl is worse.
Did you use Dolby? If you were using Type-4 metal tapes and Dolby S that would be your ultimate tape quality (also your deck needs to be able to record on metal otherwise you’ll get a poor signal as metal requires a higher field to record than the normal oxide or type 2 chrome tapes.)

So glad to hear this! I'm happy for you!

Back
Top Bottom