Question about TJB video on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Z

There is a TJB video currently listed on Ebay. It is a compiliation drawn from various sources - description is provided below. As I've seen this same video listed in the past, I assume one or more vendors are making copies. Video quality is indiated as being "not perfect". I'm wondering if anyone else has a copy of this and, if so, what is their opinion of content and quality?

Description:
First up is the ultra rare tv special "The Brass Are Comin'" from 1969 featuring Petula Clark. Shot at Malibu Beach and the A&M lots, this show is a must for the TJB enthusiast. There is a segment where the TJB performs a medley of their hits live on the A&M lot as well as many songs performed throughout the special. There are also two commercials where the TJB promotes Bank Americard and their "Music Box" LP. Video quality is not perfect, but certainly good enough to be enjoyable. There are a couple of glitches in the film. Second is the live tv special from 1974 with Herb Alpert and the new TJB( You will see original members Julius Wechter, Bob Edmonson and John Pisano).They do all of the original TJB hits as well as many new ones including "Coney Island". The Jim Henson Muppets dance to two TJB songs and there's even a brief clip with Herb and Louis Armstrong doing "Mame". This is an unforgettable video in whch the TJB enthusiast gets to experience a live TJB concert captured on film.

All four of the specials seem to be floating about on the eBay circuit. These bootleg videos are a hit and miss affair, quality-wise.

Best of the lot, assuming you get one high enough up the dub chain, is a tie between the first TV special and the 1974 Sentry special. In a bit lower quality is the BEAT OF THE BRASS special, and low man on the totem pole goes to THE BRASS ARE COMIN' - generally pretty smeary looking.

For a true fan, all are quite watchable and enjoyable, though they leave you wanting something better.

If you can find it, there's one official Herb Alpert video title that was released in the UK and Japan in 1991, called THE VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT. It's a compilation of segments from the TV specials and some of Herb's solo videos, all edited together by Lani Hall.

UK tapes will be in PAL format and will need to be converted to the US' NTSC standard (unless you have such a player). Japan offered NTSC video for the title on its tapes as well as the LaserDisc. The Japanese program has some subtitles during an 'introducing the Brass' section. As the program is largely just music, subtitles weren't really needed.

Harry

I bought these 2 specials from what I believe is the same source on ebay. He has been offering the same dubs for a few years at least and the 'buy it now' price has fallen a bit.

I was very satisfied. Of course, they are not perfect, but certainly enjoyable and very watchable for the fan. The seller seems to be the only source for the Brass Are Comin' and being a Petula Clark fan as well, this is the one I really wanted. Both are in color, there are a couple glitches, as the seller says, but they were easy to edit out when I dubbed the tape to DVD. Sound quality, although mono of course, is quite good and I was very happy to get so much of the TJB performing live on the Muppet Special. If I remember correctly (I cut this part out), the Muppet Special is from an English master. There were studio bits with a clock and a very British voice saying 'Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Take 1' etc. before each segment. The ads in Brass Are Comin' are also fun to have.

As long as your remember the great age of these programs, I think you will be satisfied.

Couple followup questions.

1) I found another TJB video on ebay with the following description:

Seller: Admiral Nelson's Treasure Chest
Video contains one hour long show complete of the sixties TV special called Beat of the Brass. Their second special color doing many of there greatest hits. Video is packaged in blue sleeve.

I'm wondering if the "second special" indicated refers to the first TJB TV special. If so, I'll be able to get all four specials on two tapes.

2) I found another vendor (not ebay) who is selling a copy of BOTB special. He indicates a near mint condition which makes me wonder if any of these specials were released commercially?

Thanks for all the help,

Craig Z

1) BEAT OF THE BRASS was their second special. I read that ad as having only one, one-hour special.

2) As always with bootleg tapes, buyer beware. One man's 'mint condition' may mean something totally different to someone else.

Bottom line - don't spend a fortune on these, as they are bootlegs after all.

Harry

Craig Z said:
Couple followup questions.

1) I found another TJB video on ebay with the following description:

Seller: Admiral Nelson's Treasure Chest
Video contains one hour long show complete of the sixties TV special called Beat of the Brass. Their second special color doing many of there greatest hits. Video is packaged in blue sleeve.

I'm wondering if the "second special" indicated refers to the first TJB TV special.

I think you're reading it wrong. "The Beat Of The Brass" was their second TV special. That's what he is saying.

He indicates a near mint condition which makes me wonder if any of these specials were released commercially?

No, they weren't released commerically, and I doubt that it is "near mint" - at least not the video quality. He may have put it on a new tape, thus making it "near mint". But hey, feel free to gamble on it then let us know. :D

Capt. Bacardi

You're right - I think I am reading this wrong. Damn. Also, I would have been surprised had these been released commercially. If would be nice if the respective owners of these specials did release them in light of the rereleases. Not holding my breath.

Craig Z

Since Shout!Factory does video releases, too... who knows, we may see these commercially available eventually. Especially if the reissue program sells as hot as we'd like to see it sell!

--Mr Bill

Well, I did what I should have done in the first place and contacted the vendor about the video in question. Turns out it does the first and second TV specials.

So....all four specials are available on two auction items. Now I'm torn. I could cough up 40+ bucks and have all four. Not a lot, but more than I care to lay out right now. So my next question is this: Ignoring the quality issue and concentrating on show content alone - how would you rank the four shows. The first two specials catch the band during their peak and hopefully capture the electricity of the moment. The latter two specials, on the other hand, would contain a lot of music I've never heard. So I'm debating.

Based on enjoyability alone, which shows are your favorites.

Craig Z

Each one has its own charms.

The first one is largely videotaped, with a lot of Brass performances mimed in various locations including Disneyland. A highlight there is "Whistle While You Work", a TJB performance never released to record, with the TjB turning into the Seven Dwarfs.

The second special, BEAT OF THE BRASS features largely filmed segments with a highlight being Herb singing "This Guy's In Love With You", and the Brass performing another unreleased recording of "California Girls" along with A&M group, The Merry Go Round.

THE BRASS ARE COMIN' features a few western-themed skits and some of the music from WARM as well, as Herb sits on the beach daydreaming while "The Sea Is My Soil" plays in the background.

The last one, from the '70s, actually has virtually all of the numbers played live by Herb and the re-formed TJB. So even if the YOU SMILE/CONEY ISLAND days aren't your cup of tea, the older stuff performed live sounds great. This one also features a couple of songs from Lani Hall.

Harry said:
THE BRASS ARE COMIN' features a few western-themed skits and some of the music from WARM as well, as Herb sits on the beach daydreaming while "The Sea Is My Soil" plays in the background.

For me the highlight of BAC is the the end where there is an actual performance of the TJB playing "The Lonely Bull" and a TJB medley.

Harry said:
The last one, from the '70s, actually has virtually all of the numbers played live by Herb and the re-formed TJB. So even if the YOU SMILE/CONEY ISLAND days aren't your cup of tea, the older stuff performed live sounds great. This one also features a couple of songs from Lani Hall.

Not to mention that this features the debut of Miss Piggy of the Muppets!

Capt. Bacardi

Keep in mind there are two versions of the 70's special. It was repackaged as part of a "powerhouse music" TV syndication package a couple years later. In the latter version the second to last segment (last segment is the one where Herb sings "I Belong" as he walks out the sound stage as it's powered down) contains a couple different songs and different muppet skits. I can't recall the exact details off the top of my head -- I'd have to listen to the audio cassettes I recorded of both versions to refresh the comparison in my old and fading memory...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom