Question regarding the live version of "We've Only Just Begun"

Moovyboy

Why is the lyric "before the risin sun we fly" omitted from live concert performances of "We've only just begun" ... I don't get it

Why is the lyric "before the risin sun we fly" omitted from live concert performances of "We've only just begun" ... I don't get it
Because the line "We've only begun..." between verses one and two requires all four parts of the chord to be sung in order for it to work. Given the fact that there is an overlap into the second verse—with Karen covering one of the four parts, it wasn't possible for her to sing the next line.

They really could have used a female background singer, or two, in their touring group, to help flesh out the harmonies.

When I first heard "(They Long To Be) Close To You" on the radio thinking that the Carpenters were a group of singers, the evidence was when Karen (as the other female in the group) sings "...just like me...".

Because the line "We've only begun..." between verses one and two requires all four parts of the chord to be sung in order for it to work. Given the fact that there is an overlap into the second verse—with Karen covering one of the four parts, it wasn't possible for her to sing the next line.
It's really inexcusable that an essential and poetical part of the lyrics should be sacrificed in a live performance so that the harmony of a transitory passage - no matter how lovely - would conform to that established "artificially" in the studio.
This should never have happened. If anything should have been dropped it should have been one of the harmony parts. Why would anyone not want Karen to sing that phrase - or any other phrase. Who would have noticed a missing harmony part at a concert? This was always the serious problem of over-production of the Carps. They just did stuff in the studio "because they could" and it wasn't real.The rule should have always been: if it can't be done live it shouldn't be done in the studio. And that's how they should have recorded every song - live in studio.

Totally agree. Give me all the studio wizardry that's needed. I'll take that any day over some live performance, and yes, I agree that they should have hired a female backing singer to help out with those kinds of situations.

...yes, I agree that they should have hired a female backing singer to help out with those kinds of situations.
Yes, absolutely - maybe more than one, and for in studio recording too, so that the live performances more closely matched the recordings...they could have and should have used several of the best singers from their college choir...

But, nobody has addressed my main point above: why in hell's name would anyone in their right mind tell Karen to not sing essential lyrics just to brace up a short harmonized section of a song - how many people in the audience would notice , or care? A decision, as they say, "unencumbered by the thought process".

Yes, absolutely - maybe more than one, and for in studio recording too, so that the live performances more closely matched the recordings...they could have and should have used several of the best singers from their college choir...

But, nobody has addressed my main point above: why in hell's name would anyone in their right mind tell Karen to not sing essential lyrics just to brace up a short harmonized section of a song - how many people in the audience would notice , or care? A decision, as they say, "unencumbered by the thought process".
And do you know what Richard's response would have been?

"This is what I've been saying all along—the albums speak for themselves and we didn't NEED to be doing all that touring! Go buy the record!"

:laugh:

Imagine a world where no technology existed which enabled one to record any concerts.
Gone forever would be the visual and vocal spark that audience members who attended those concerts were privy to.
Since I never had the opportunity of seeing the duo at a "live" performance,
I cherish every opportunity to do so now via technology (in any format) !
The perfection of the records--the studio performances--are there for posterity.
A concert is "one moment in time" for those who got to attend--
Thank God we have both.

By the way, adding to my previous remark regarding "live" versus "studio recording,"
I very much prefer the "live" renditions of Mr. Guder to the studio recording.
Some songs simply work better for me in a "live" setting, and Mr. Guder is one of those songs.
Some songs, like "Sing," speak to me whether studio or concert (both being favorites of mine).

To me, the live versions of "Mr. Guder" sound like the group is trying to hurry up because the time is running out on their parking meter. Much too rushed.

Back
Top Bottom