R.I.P. Sherwin Bash

I see a very long and diverse list of clients... Anita Baker, even--yet only last name 'Baker' was used, as in suing for a breach of contract, suggesting there were no other such events or need for, elsewhere--thank goodness...

But a good manager to a lot of careers, among what I find most surprising, an astronaut--Wally Schirra:

Wally Schirra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

Yes, read up on that Wikipedia biography link, and you'll find it astonishing that there was more to his career than being in the cosmos aboard the Mercury, Apollo, and Gemini...!

Farewell and Rest In Peace to a good manager--a great name to see and join another one who'd last yer had passed, Jerry Weintraub (also who had a CarpenterS association) in Heaven's Hall of Fame...!

-- Dave

I first met Sherwin about 19 years ago when he was back managing Richard. We spoke a few times last year and I was [supposed] to drive out to Scottsdale to do a sit-down interview with him. Unfortunately now, it wasn't to be. :sad:

I recall from Randy's book that Karen called Sherwin "Sherwood Bush" (or something like that). What a card she was. So, in Karen's inimitable voice "RIP Sherwood".

Has anyone seen any commentary from Richard in articles out there? I have not seen any as of this writing...

And, a big thanks to Sherwin Bash for steering Carpenters to the Movies......
Richard Carpenter:
For All We Know” - Karen and I were in Toronto in November, 1970 to open the show for Engelbert Humperdinck.
We had one night off before opening and our manager Sherwin Bash suggested we see the film “Lovers And Other Strangers”.
We enjoyed the film and noticed the song “For All We Know”, which we recorded upon our return home."

I first met Sherwin about 19 years ago when he was back managing Richard. We spoke a few times last year and I was [supposed] to drive out to Scottsdale to do a sit-down interview with him. Unfortunately now, it wasn't to be. :sad:
Too bad. That could have been illuminating. Rest well Mr. Bash.

Yet another link with their history gone. It would have been interesting to have heard more from him on his perspective on the Carpenters' career (I recall he resisted from contributing to Randy Schmidt's book until it was too late to include his views), as we haven't heard much from him in the last couple of decades.

Despite the blame placed at his feet for overbooking them on tours and not giving their career enough direction, both Karen and Richard seem to retain some fondness for him - he was back managing Richard in the late 1990s after all!

I don’t know where I was when this was posted but I had no idea he’d passed away. I thought this was a new thread :sad:

I don’t know where I was when this was posted but I had no idea he’d passed away. I thought this was a new thread :sad:

Same here - I missed this somehow. Yes, another Carpenters connection, gone. Time is often a cruel mistress.

I was disappointed in his non handling of the tour rift between Richard and Neil Sedaka in 1975 which turned into a public relations nightmare for the Carpenters. Richard's temper and lack of patience greatly contributed to the end result, but Sherwin should have been present and provided leadership and resolve during a period where Richard was dealing with his own personal demons. I don't think the Carpenters career ever fully recovered from the negative backlash from Sedaka's dismissal. Other than that, I think Sherwin was a seasoned, competent and very savvy manager which helped make up for Karen and Richard's youth and inexperience particularly during the initial years of their career.

Back
Top Bottom