Randy Schmidt London Book Launch

ullalume

Hello all. . . .and hello Randy, of course.

I'm due to attend the Thu 20th London event for this and wondered who, if any, of you will be there on that day (I'd hate to be there and not know I was with "family" if you know what I mean.

Maybe we could even wear a carnation so we know who we are.

Laters

Neil

Im going to the second night Neil, on 21st June. Earlier in the day there’s a private screening of The Karen Carpenter Story for the first time ever in a cinema, so I’ve booked the whole day off work. It promises to be quite a day all round and there are one or two people coming who were in Thousand Oaks for the anniversary event, so it’ll be lovely to see them again too :)

Randy mentioned to me at the 50th that there's a showing of The Karen Carpenter Story at the BFI on 21st, but there's nothing on the website or in their catalogue. Anybody know the details? ...

Randy mentioned to me at the 50th that there's a showing of The Karen Carpenter Story at the BFI on 21st, but there's nothing on the website or in their catalogue. Anybody know the details? ...

It's being screened at the British Film Institute in London next Friday afternoon. It's a private event (i.e. not open to the general public) so there's limited capacity. There is a group for it on Facebook, the description is as follows:

Celebrating the 30th anniversary of its original broadcast, and marking Randy Schmidt's first ever visit to the UK, join us for a unique and exclusive cinema screening of The Karen Carpenter Story at the plush private screening room of the BFI (British Film Institute) in London.

This seminal movie reignited interest in the Carpenters and brought a new awareness to the public about the lives of both Karen and Richard. For all its faults, it is a hugely important movie to both Paul and Randy and, to our knowledge, has never been shown in a cinema before.

Enjoy the trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCyjYJS8eXs

Here are a couple of photos of one of the private screening rooms at the British Film Institute:

bfi-stephen-street-viewing-theatre.jpg

Screening-Room-2-900x630.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming work goes easy on me that day(!), I'll be at the Thursday launch in London.

Hadn't heard or seen any mention of the screening of the TV movie at the BFI. A shame as I'd have like to have gone to that if I'd known in advance about it. Although perhaps it is an invite-only screening?

Just a heads up. I actually work at the BFI, but if anyone is attending make sure you go to the BFI headquarters on 21 Stephen Street near Tottenham Court Road Tube station and not to the BFI Southbank near Waterloo. Every day people turn up to the Southbank by accident.

Cheers

Neil

If anyone hears of any places left for the BFI screening please let me know - I would LOVE to see TKCS on the big screen.

Just a heads up. I actually work at the BFI, but if anyone is attending make sure you go to the BFI headquarters on 21 Stephen Street near Tottenham Court Road Tube station and not to the BFI Southbank near Waterloo. Every day people turn up to the Southbank by accident.

I'm so glad you mentioned this Neil as I thought there was only one :laugh:

Im going to the second night Neil, on 21st June. Earlier in the day there’s a private screening of The Karen Carpenter Story for the first time ever in a cinema, so I’ve booked the whole day off work. It promises to be quite a day all round and there are one or two people coming who were in Thousand Oaks for the anniversary event, so it’ll be lovely to see them again too :)
Hi Stephen, I'm also going on the second night, but I didn't know about the screening of the KC Story until just now. Would love to see that too in a cinema! :)
I'm not on Facebook though, but do you have any idea how to get tickets for this otherwise? (that is, IF they're still available)

Thanks!

Greg

Hi Greg - look forward to seeing you at the book signing. Let me check with Randy on the screening availability and I’ll get back to you :)

It's being screened at the British Film Institute in London next Friday afternoon. It's a private event (i.e. not open to the general public) so there's limited capacity. There is a group for it on Facebook, the description is as follows:

Celebrating the 30th anniversary of its original broadcast, and marking Randy Schmidt's first ever visit to the UK, join us for a unique and exclusive cinema screening of The Karen Carpenter Story at the plush private screening room of the BFI (British Film Institute) in London.

This seminal movie reignited interest in the Carpenters and brought a new awareness to the public about the lives of both Karen and Richard. For all its faults, it is a hugely important movie to both Paul and Randy and, to our knowledge, has never been shown in a cinema before.

Enjoy the trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCyjYJS8eXs

Do you have a link to the Facebook page? I’m going to the event on Thursday night, but would love to see the film on a Friday if there are any spaces left.

Do you have a link to the Facebook page? I’m going to the event on Thursday night, but would love to see the film on a Friday if there are any spaces left.

It's a private (unlisted event) on Facebook, I'll send you the link as it simply doesn't even display as one on here.

Randy said the event is now up to capacity but is keeping a waiting list if you want to contact him to be added :)

Yesterday’s events for the book launch were amazing! We got to the British Film Institute where there was a champagne reception awaiting us and a lot of other excited fans. We were ushered into the private screening room where we all had a movie poster awaiting us on our seats (which was a good job really as I’m sure many of us had thought about stealing the one on the wall outside :laugh:). Paul and Randy did their introductions before the screening of The Karen Carpenter Story but right before it they showed a beautiful six minute “behind the scenes” look at the making of the movie, complete with new recordings of Cynthia Gibb and Mitchell Anderson, who thanked the audience for their continued interest, talked about their roles in the movie and what it had meant to them both and wished us a great afternoon at the British Film Institute. Seeing the movie up on a big screen was just a joy and the sound was superb: hearing tracks like Now, Where Do I Go From Here and A Song For You in a cinema room was just lovely. I’ve probably seen the movie upwards of 50 times over the years, but it felt new all over again and the scenes where Agnes confronts Karen in her condo about the laxative abuse and then towards the end where the family urge her to divorce “Bob”, felt especially powerful.

Onwards to the Hard Rock Cafe Back Room Bar, where we had more complimentary drinks awaiting us and more Carpenters M&Ms and Bingo! Executive Publisher Paul Ashurst opened the evening with a welcome before he led Randy through a Q&A session about the book, similar to the one in Thousand Oaks. Randy was then presented with a cake commemorating the launch party and we were entertained with Carpenters tracks for the rest of the evening. Hearing Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night and Karen’s solo tracks over a PA was just heaven!

All in all, an absolutely wonderful day and I want to thank Randy and Paul for such a well organised event. It really was like a mini 50th Anniversary Reunion and so nice to see our hosts again, as well as the lovely Laura Adam and other forum fans like Greg, who managed to get an 11th-hour ticket.

Oh and I STILL didn’t win Carpenters bingo! :laugh:

Last edited:
Hello all. . . .and hello Randy, of course.

I'm due to attend the Thu 20th London event for this and wondered who, if any, of you will be there on that day (I'd hate to be there and not know I was with "family" if you know what I mean.

Maybe we could even wear a carnation so we know who we are.

Laters

Neil

Did you make it on Thursday night? I was there with my partner. (We bagged a seat on one of the sofas; I was wearing a denim jacket.) I hope you enjoyed it. It was a great evening 😊

Did you make it on Thursday night? I was there with my partner. (We bagged a seat on one of the sofas; I was wearing a denim jacket.) I hope you enjoyed it. It was a great evening 😊

So gutted but my Dad became ill the day I was due to return back to London so had to miss it. Such is life, but hopefully someone else was able to take my place.

Back
Top Bottom