🎷 AotW: CTI Randy Weston: Blue Moses (CTI Records CTI 6016)

All the CTI releases
1673495080407.pngRandy Weston: Blue Moses

CTI Records CTI 6016
Released 1972
  • A1: Ifrane 5:12
  • A2: Ganawa (Blue Moses) 13:25
  • B1: Night In Medina 6:30
  • B2: Marrakesh Blues 12:18
Arranged By, Directed By – Don Sebesky
Bass – Ron Carter
Bass Trombone – Paul Faulise
Design – Bob Ciano
Drums – Bill Cobham*
Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder
English Horn, Clarinet, Flute – George Marge
Flugelhorn – Alan Rubin, John Frosk, Marvin Stamm
Flute – Hubert Laws
French Horn – Brooks Tillotson, James Buffington*
Oboe, Clarinet, Flute – Romeo Penque
Piano, Liner Notes – Randy Weston
Producer – Creed Taylor
Synthesizer [Moog] – David Horowitz
Tenor Saxophone – Grover Washington, Jr.
Trombone – Garnett Brown, Warren Covington, Wayne Andre
Trumpet – Freddie Hubbard
Vocals – Madame Meddah
Original first issue with a glossy gatefold cover

Recorded March & April, 1972

Amazon product ASIN B01JT41E9S

Horrific cover art aside, this album is heavy on the production--apparently Weston was not happy with the overly-polished outcome and I could see why. Weston's goal was to write compositions influenced by the music of Morocco, so the themes have a middle-eastern edge to them. But some of that edge is lost with the production (and especially Sebesky's arrangements) watering it down.

The title track "Ganawa (Blue Moses)" almost reminds me of "O Morro" from Tamba 4's We and the Sea due to its length and shifting moods. Side two is far less mainstream and those who appreciate something adventurous will find something to like of the two tracks. Sebesky's role is limited to a brass section, and the usual CTI suspects are in abundance--Freddie Hubbard, Hubert Laws, Grover Washington Jr., Airto, Ron Carter, and others. The lead-off track "Ifrane" is grating, droning along on a single note in unison most of the time, although given that Weston was influenced by Morocco, this could just be a style of Moroccan music so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

A good album but a mixed bag a times.

Horrific cover art aside, this album is heavy on the production--apparently Weston was not happy with the overly-polished outcome and I could see why. Weston's goal was to write compositions influenced by the music of Morocco, so the themes have a middle-eastern edge to them. But some of that edge is lost with the production (and especially Sebesky's arrangements) watering it down.

The title track "Ganawa (Blue Moses)" almost reminds me of "O Morro" from Tamba 4's We and the Sea due to its length and shifting moods. Side two is far less mainstream and those who appreciate something adventurous will find something to like of the two tracks. Sebesky's role is limited to a brass section, and the usual CTI suspects are in abundance--Freddie Hubbard, Hubert Laws, Grover Washington Jr., Airto, Ron Carter, and others. The lead-off track "Ifrane" is grating, droning along on a single note in unison most of the time, although given that Weston was influenced by Morocco, this could just be a style of Moroccan music so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

A good album but a mixed bag a times.
What a coincidence---I just listened to the album this morning and decided it didn't need to be in my Apple Music library.

Back
Top Bottom