1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

RARE / INTERESTING STUFF.

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Jamesj75

Jamesj75 Well-Known Member

We are familiar with the genesis of "Goodbye to Love," whereby Richard heard the song title in a movie (with no accompanying lyrics or melody) and decided to write a song based on the title alone. Well, Ed, you have your work cut out for you with "Good Eye to Love!"

ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.
  2. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

Challenge: accepted!

Ed

Jamesj75 likes this.
  3. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

I
    Well, see, the "B" was missed on a dropout on the tape, so Richard had to punch in his own "B"...

:winkgrin:

ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.
  4. leadmister

leadmister Well-Known Member

We've Only Just Begin To Love is the whole title, I believe. lol

Geographer likes this.
  5. leadmister

I don't blame you. Some people would be cool with it as a conversation piece if it doesn't cost too much, something to have a good laugh at, but I can understand wanting to stick with authentic stuff in a collection.

6. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

...and not feeding the bootleggers. There's no way the seller doesn't know what he/she is trying to pass off.

Ed

leadmister likes this.
  7. leadmister

The buyer ought to be wise too, unless they enjoy listening to the Corpenters in their Horsche 911 and wearing their Dolex watch.

Song4uman and ThaFunkyFakeTation like this.
  8. Song4uman

Song4uman Well-Known Member

I didn’t even think about there being such a thing as a bootleg vinyl.

9. Song4uman

Song4uman Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder what the sound is like

10. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing on DVD an episode of the 70’s Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew series and an episode dealt with record piracy and in the episode the pirate was getting a cart copy from a local DJ and making records from the cart.

11. Harry

Well, think about that for a minute. Could the sound be "better" than a legitimate LP or CD? I think not. Whatever source the bootleggers used would not be as good as what A&M/PolyGram/Universal has already issued over the years. They, after all, have the original masters with which to make the legitimate media.

Nope, bootleg and/or counterfeit recordings could only at best be the same as a legitimate issue, usually worse. As a great example, look at all of the many issues of the HORIZON songs that have come out over the years in Europe and elsewhere. They are always reported as sounding muddy.

12. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

newvillefan and leadmister like this.
  13. leadmister

I've had my eye out for this for some time, but unfortunately it's even more rare than the Looking For Love single. Nevertheless, it's a piece of Carpenters history that I must possess and hopefully will one day.

14. leadmister

Yep. Muddy sound, reversed stereo channels, odd track listings that are just a hodgepodge of the compiler's favorite Carpenters tunes, or tunes that they think would sell a lot of copies of the bootleg, etc. There is always something odd about such albums and sound wise, they can only come close to the original pressings but never surpass them.

15. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    John Adam and newvillefan like this.
  16. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I’ve just noticed for the first time that this rate German CD single includes a Karen solo track :)

Rick-An Ordinary Fool likes this.
  17. Harry

Yes, I own one of those. Here's the back of the insert and the disc:

scan0003.jpg scan0004.jpg

18. Harry

Just added those images to Discogs.

19. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

^^ Love those combination of songs. Really shows the diversity of what Karen could do. And Richard as arranger and producer (on the first two).

20. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Harry where did you obtain this? I must have this for my collection. I've actually never seen this before. If you ever want to sell it well you know LOL

I wonder why the logo on the actual CD is not the official logo but it's on the cover art. What mix of Please Mr Postman?

newvillefan likes this.
  21. Harry

I think I may have picked it up on one of our trips to Germany. The disc face is a plain one that was common on some earlier CDs. I suspect that because this was a CD maxi single, a sort-of new thing, they wanted to cut expenses by using a generic disc face. Just a guess, but a fair number of early discs have rather plain disc faces.

The mixes used on this are:

Please Mr. Postman (standard album mix)
    Desperado (standard album mix)
    Still Crazy After All These Years (1990 From The Top mix)

John Adam, newvillefan and leadmister like this.
  22. leadmister

That's a beautiful rarity. They missed a good opportunity to put a Horizon-era picture up, but they could have been restricted on their choices for all we know.

23. Harry

A5 - 148 x 210 mm = 5.8 x 8.3 in

24. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member