1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

RARE / INTERESTING STUFF.

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

I was aware of this CD single but I don't think it had ever occurred to me to wonder why it was released. A 1991 release date (plus the inclusion of 'Still Crazy After All These Years') would suggest it came out to promote From the Top, but there's no mention of that collection on the sleeve notes (the only album mentioned is the European version of the UK Only Yesterday compilation).

Presumably it would have had to have been released at the end of 1991, as From the Top wasn't released until September I think, as otherwise 'Still Crazy After All These Years' would have had its first released appearance on this CD single, which would seem unlikely.

Nice alternate sleeve picture though.

2. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

I think it was in support of that compilation.

3. leadmister

leadmister Well-Known Member

Here's my pair of Your Navy Presents LP's I got a few years ago. I could never find both of them together so I decided I was going to try to get them one at a time. The second one popped up and I bought it, and then just a little over a week later, the first appeared through a totally different seller and I grabbed that one as well. Pretty lucky timing and the prices weren't that bad either. One of them came from a fan out in CA who sent me a couple of cool extras with the shipment, including a CD burn of the program, a Carpenters bumper sticker, one of the fan club promo images and a couple other little goodies I can't recall. Turns out he was a lifelong fan and collector who had to sell a bunch of stuff due to financial hardship. We had a lovely conversation through email leading up to the transaction and he was so happy that this particular item found a good home.

[​IMG]

GaryAlan and Carpe diem like this.
  4. leadmister

Also my collection of reels. I have a nice mid-70's Akai GX-280D that recently took a dump on me, so I haven't been able to listen to them for a while. I am hoping to replace it with a classic 4000D once I get the money, then find quad versions of Now And Then, Horizon and the Singles to complete my collection.
    [​IMG]

GaryAlan likes this.
  5. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Nice Find!! These recordings are so good and as a big fan of Karen's drumming it really showcases her abilities. Clancy, All Of My Life, and All I Can Do are brilliant.

leadmister likes this.
  6. leadmister

That's pretty much why I had to have them. My favorite Karen moments are when she is drumming and singing.

7. newvillefan

newvillefan I Know My First Name Is Stephen

Does anyone know what those Your Navy Presents LPs are worth now? They're pretty rare. I think the rarest thing I've seen is the vinyl pressing of Won't You Play A Simple Melody that @Chris May posted a couple of months ago. That's got to be worth even more than the Magic Lamp single for sure, because it's unreleased.

8. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator

Not to mention the label is handwritten by Karen herself.

newvillefan likes this.
  9. leadmister

About $300 individually, although I got them for a lot less, but I've not seen anyone else with both together, let alone what they would be worth as a pair.

10. Donn

Donn New Member

I was a member of the fan club in the 1970s and 1980s, so I have the newsletters, posters, 8 x 10 photos, sweatshirt, t-shirt, Decade booklet, etc. But I'm especially glad that I saved all the handwritten letters from Rosina Sullivan and Evelyn Wallace, as well as the wallet-sized membership cards. Will be happy to upload a photo if I can figure out how to do it here.

AnnaSock, GaryAlan, Kaisu and 2 others like this.
  11. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Gary, the video you linked is no longer available...is this the LP you were talking about? I've never heard this live version before, song yes but not the live intro.

GaryAlan likes this.
  12. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^Yes, I see the other link was removed for "copyright infringement."

13. newvillefan

newvillefan I Know My First Name Is Stephen

The intro has been lifted from the scene in The Karen Carpenter Story and superimposed onto this recording. It’s telling, not only because it’s the same voice with the same reverb, but because the audience applause is faded away artificially.

14. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Ha so it’s a fake lol
    Wow I fell for it.

newvillefan likes this.
  15. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator

Not to mention, in the last few seconds while the tuba is soloing and Richard is hanging on the low G, you hear the tail-end of The Girl From Ipanema also lifted from the film. Just crazy what people will do with this stuff!

16. GaryAlan

I want that original Battle of the Bands LP !!

Rick-An Ordinary Fool likes this.
  17. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR Well-Known Member Thread Starter

U.K
    Been a while since I bought anything Carpenters, but I finally managed to buy three cds which for some bizzare reason, I didn't have in my collection.
    finally managed to get a copy of `ticket to ride` cd which wasn't priced like it was the queens jewels at just 10.99 delivered, which I`m happy about. oddly, the cassette is available more!
    whilst I have `made in America` from japan with the obi, I didn't have a `standard` copy, so I now have that and finally `voice of the heart`. how I missed the last 2 I have no idea, but I guess you lose track when you buy as much as we all do :)

AnnaSock likes this.
  18. GaryAlan

19. Kacfan

Kacfan Member

20. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    I`ve just gone through a lot of 1974 stuff and during that year, she had really nice thick long hair, so if she did wear those ear rings, I bet they were rarely seen.
    for near $5000, I`d want more than just an old piece of paper with some `notes` on it, personally, I`d be very cautious, especially given they don`t even state what the ear-rings are made of, for $5000 I`d expect more detail!

21. Kacfan

Kacfan Member

Absolutely agree! I was not planning on skipping our next family holiday to get these on the basis of a note written by someone we don’t know ! Just amazed by what people try to sell and for how much on eBay ! I am really not sure that Karen wore earrings at all until 1980.

CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR likes this.
  22. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    I messaged the seller earlier, to ask what the rings were made of, to see what the justification for the 5k was ............. and he doesn't know, which I find odd, I would have at least found out before listing, even if it meant a trip to a jewellers!

Kacfan likes this.
  23. Kacfan

Kacfan Member

Karen’s big diamond cluster ring with a centre diamond exceeding one carat, and made using platinum, and which she was seen to be wearing in many videos and photos from 1972 to 1978, sold at julien auction for something like 12,000. Given that these earrings with uncertain provenance and unknown material priced at 4700?

24. Eyewire

Eyewire Well-Known Member

25. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K