1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

RARE / INTERESTING STUFF.

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

I was aware of this CD single but I don't think it had ever occurred to me to wonder why it was released. A 1991 release date (plus the inclusion of 'Still Crazy After All These Years') would suggest it came out to promote From the Top, but there's no mention of that collection on the sleeve notes (the only album mentioned is the European version of the UK Only Yesterday compilation).

Presumably it would have had to have been released at the end of 1991, as From the Top wasn't released until September I think, as otherwise 'Still Crazy After All These Years' would have had its first released appearance on this CD single, which would seem unlikely.

Nice alternate sleeve picture though.

2. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

I think it was in support of that compilation.

3. leadmister

leadmister Well-Known Member

Here's my pair of Your Navy Presents LP's I got a few years ago. I could never find both of them together so I decided I was going to try to get them one at a time. The second one popped up and I bought it, and then just a little over a week later, the first appeared through a totally different seller and I grabbed that one as well. Pretty lucky timing and the prices weren't that bad either. One of them came from a fan out in CA who sent me a couple of cool extras with the shipment, including a CD burn of the program, a Carpenters bumper sticker, one of the fan club promo images and a couple other little goodies I can't recall. Turns out he was a lifelong fan and collector who had to sell a bunch of stuff due to financial hardship. We had a lovely conversation through email leading up to the transaction and he was so happy that this particular item found a good home.

[​IMG]

GaryAlan and Carpe diem like this.
  4. leadmister

Also my collection of reels. I have a nice mid-70's Akai GX-280D that recently took a dump on me, so I haven't been able to listen to them for a while. I am hoping to replace it with a classic 4000D once I get the money, then find quad versions of Now And Then, Horizon and the Singles to complete my collection.
    [​IMG]

GaryAlan likes this.
  5. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Nice Find!! These recordings are so good and as a big fan of Karen's drumming it really showcases her abilities. Clancy, All Of My Life, and All I Can Do are brilliant.

leadmister likes this.
  6. leadmister

That's pretty much why I had to have them. My favorite Karen moments are when she is drumming and singing.

7. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what those Your Navy Presents LPs are worth now? They're pretty rare. I think the rarest thing I've seen is the vinyl pressing of Won't You Play A Simple Melody that @Chris May posted a couple of months ago. That's got to be worth even more than the Magic Lamp single for sure, because it's unreleased.

8. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator

Not to mention the label is handwritten by Karen herself.

newvillefan likes this.
  9. leadmister

About $300 individually, although I got them for a lot less, but I've not seen anyone else with both together, let alone what they would be worth as a pair.

10. Donn

Donn New Member

I was a member of the fan club in the 1970s and 1980s, so I have the newsletters, posters, 8 x 10 photos, sweatshirt, t-shirt, Decade booklet, etc. But I'm especially glad that I saved all the handwritten letters from Rosina Sullivan and Evelyn Wallace, as well as the wallet-sized membership cards. Will be happy to upload a photo if I can figure out how to do it here.

AnnaSock, GaryAlan, Kaisu and 2 others like this.