• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

RARE / INTERESTING STUFF.

Nick

The other one doesn’t show a B side, but I’m assuming that it’s the same, but does come with a Beechwood 4-5789 single too. Billed as Carpenters do Motown.
Dancing In The Street would have been a better choice, but they would risk the ad being removed from EBay.
It's "It's Really You"

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Is there an echo in here? :)

Isn't it interesting that this seller waited until after the passing of Joe Osborn, who probably still owns the copyright to the Magic Lamp label?

GDB2LV

The Jimmy Mack is a remix done by a guy named Cavanaugh. Almost the whole missing NY Sessions is there on YouTube. It’s Karen singing over the top of Martha Reeves. It’s actually somewhat better with the two versions mixed, it gives it more depth and punch. Not the worst song anymore. Also a full version of I Wanna Be Free at the End. Wonder where people get this stuff? Anyway glad to hear something new and old.

GDB2LV

I just ordered another mug and Christmas dvd from my local PBS Station KVPT. It took the order desk a bit to locate the mug as they haven’t aired the Close To You video since December. The mug is new as of March 2019. So it looks like most can order the Carpenters merchandise anytime even if they aren’t in pledge mode or repeating old shows with pledge breaks. They were still $60 each for anyone that needs to order them. 1-800-801-6500

GDB2LV

The single looks to be in fair/poor condition though, like it’s been sitting in a jukebox for 50 years.... look at the pictures and judge for yourself.

Rachel

Someone said that time would ease the pain...
Speaking of Magic Lamp Records, has anyone ever purchased the Mickey Jones & the Triumphs "I Can Live Without You" 45 with Karen on backing vocals? There are two currently on discogs for sale out of the UK; cheapest being $411. Would love to hear it, but can't part with that kind of money. Mom always told me to marry up, but I never listen.:doh:

Chris May

Resident 'Carpenterologist'
Staff member
Speaking of Magic Lamp Records, has anyone ever purchased the Mickey Jones & the Triumphs "I Can Live Without You" 45 with Karen on backing vocals? There are two currently on discogs for sale out of the UK; cheapest being $411. Would love to hear it, but can't part with that kind of money. Mom always told me to marry up, but I never listen.:doh:
Have a copy, but Richard confirms that it is not Karen singing backup. Just a heads-up for those trying to purchase this for that reason.

tomswift2002

The only two known Magic Lamp or other artist recording to feature Karen and Richard as backing vocalists, are Lee Denson’s (aka Jesse James) “Mississippi Bridge/Sixteen States”.

Lee Denson a.k.a. Jesse James: The South's Gonna Rise Again (2001)

Rachel

Someone said that time would ease the pain...
Jones in his autobiography perpetuates this untruth:

...I had a girl back-up singer on that record that
Joe had found in Downey, California named
Karen Carpenter. This little girl could sing....

page 106 That Would Be Me: Rock and Roll
Survivor to Hollywood Actor

Murray

^^^ The album is on Spotify if anyone is interested. I listened to the songs in question, and I can't make out Karen or Richard's voice either. Has Richard ever confirmed that he and Karen did backing vocals for Lee Denson? Calling Chris May...

Chris May

Resident 'Carpenterologist'
Staff member
Jones in his autobiography perpetuates this untruth:

...I had a girl back-up singer on that record that
Joe had found in Downey, California named
Karen Carpenter. This little girl could sing....

page 106 That Would Be Me: Rock and Roll
Survivor to Hollywood Actor
I know and I’m not sure why he thought that. It sounds nothing like Karen first off, and I wanted to squash any possibility of error so I asked Richard about it and he was pretty emphatic. Perhaps Mickey was told Karen would be asked to participate and he carried the assumption all those years later that it was her, when in reality someone else overdubbed the vocal. Remember at the time, Karen was a total unknown so I don’t think he would have had anything to gain by embellishing the truth any.

GDB2LV

Wonder what a clean copy would go for.... hope it was an avid Carpenters fan that won the auction though. Not bad for the ultimate collectors item. Enjoy!!!!!!

Top Bottom