• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

RARE / INTERESTING STUFF.

GaryAlan

Wasn't $100,000 the cost to produce the album ?
So, the shredded money in the cube with logo "Made In America" represents the album.
In effect, saying, this is what $100,000 gets you--the album, "Made In America."

CraigGA

Well, the cost better fit what was left off the album and released through the years cause most of what was selected for Made In America isn’t even worth pennies.

Chris May

Resident 'Carpenterologist'
Staff member
Oh my gosh, Chris! THANK YOU for these photos of K&R recording one of my most beloved albums ever. Do you know what day they began recording (Postman aside)?
Hey Mark! I was going through my notes today and realized that I'd overlooked it when you asked me when Horizon got underway as far as the recording. I'd forgotten, as they actually started in early September of '74, with the first two tracks being "Love Me For What I Am" and "Sailing on the Tide."

Sorry about that :razz:

GaryAlan

Chris May, I see where drum-duties for Sailing On The Tide were by Ed Greene, which is why I never thought the song
had gotten recorded in any manner in 1974, let alone September of that year. Also, Synthesizer programmed by Shaun Furlong.
I suppose, what I am trying to uncover is, how far along did the duo get with the song in 1974 ?

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Last edited:

Carpe diem

^^ I remember reading somewhere that the Downey City Council or some other civic entity passed a resolution or stipulation that the main house cannot be altered with room additions or completely demolished. If I come across it, I will post it in the forum.

New Horizons.

Surprised that Close To You is NOT on this 1973 schedule of concert songs.

Hi.I just viewed the auction listing and if you zoom in on the songs sung in the programme,it lists Close to you as the closing song of act 1.I can't decipher the others due to the glare on the photo or fading.

GDB2LV

It’s the same show as my 1st Carpenters concert, I was lucky enough to see a couple of months earlier. I remember their stint at the Universal Amphitheater. They were there several days. I tried to get a group to go to Los Angeles to see them again, but it didn’t pan out. It would be another year for the Hollywood Bowl show. Universal was an outdoor venue then, years before they enclosed it and added a balcony for much more seating. I bet I went to 50+ shows there. Now it’s been replaced by Hogwarts.
The power of money!!! Great souvenir for whoever wins the auction. Thx Gary!

GaryAlan

I see where I erred, or I should say it is difficult to see what the song list is that ACT one consists of !
Thanks for pointing out my error, New Horizons !

How lucky to have been able to attend a concert, GDB2L....I never made it to a concert (guess I was 10 or 11 at the time).

A&M Retro

I see where I erred, or I should say it is difficult to see what the song list is that ACT one consists of !
Thanks for pointing out my error, New Horizons !

How lucky to have been able to attend a concert, GDB2L....I never made it to a concert (guess I was 10 or 11 at the time).
I was 11 when I saw them in ‘73. If not for a very cool older brother, that wouldn’t have happened.

Joeyesterday

I saw this particular show in Nashville in the Fall of 72 (I think). My entire family went. I just remember how amazing Karen's voice was and I thought they sounded like their album.

JayJayVA

There's another Made in America money cube that is more of a square/cube shape. I haven't seen the taller one before.

JayJayVA

Does anyone know what became of Karen's wardrobe? I was always curious about the orange dress that she wore, amongst other little things, whether they were worn on stage or just out and about. I admire her style so much. I did see a "Karen owned" baseball cap on eBay but questioned its authenticity.
As I recall - back in the old original "Newville Avenue" discussion board days, shortly after Karen passed Mrs Carpenter (mother) had a yard sale at their Downey home and sold a lot of Karen's things for cheap. Someone stated she said she "just wanted the stuff gone".

Geographer

As I recall - back in the old original "Newville Avenue" discussion board days, shortly after Karen passed Mrs Carpenter (mother) had a yard sale at their Downey home and sold a lot of Karen's things for cheap. Someone stated she said she "just wanted the stuff gone".
I would mark this as dubious at best. I know for a fact that much of Karen's belongings resided at Richard's Yesterday Once More Warehouse (I seen it personally); and, her wardrobe remained at the Newville House in the closet where Karen collapsed. Again, I saw it first hand with Agnes and Harold there. This was in 1989, I believe, which wasn't "shortly after Karen passed." Did they have a yard sale? Maybe? But I doubt it was to get rid of Karen's "things for cheap."

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
I would mark this as dubious at best. I know for a fact that much of Karen's belongings resided at Richard's Yesterday Once More Warehouse (I seen it personally); and, her wardrobe remained at the Newville House in the closet where Karen collapsed. Again, I saw it first hand with Agnes and Harold there. This was in 1989, I believe, which wasn't "shortly after Karen passed." Did they have a yard sale? Maybe? But I doubt it was to get rid of Karen's "things for cheap."
I’ve also read many times from fans that there was a yard sale not long after Karen’s passing, which they themselves attended. They recalled that Harold was there. But what was on sale specifically, I can’t remember. From what they said, some of Karen’s personal items, but clearly not all.

JayJayVA

The mother held a yard sale not long after Karen's death. She did sell some of Karen's things --what she sold, I don't know, wasn't there. But, members on the old forum did say they attended & bought some of Karen's belongings & quoted Mrs Carpenter as saying she wanted the stuff gone (whatever it was). Glad to know Richard has some of her items at his warehouse.

Top Bottom