1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

RARE / INTERESTING STUFF.

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR, Dec 30, 2017.

1. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^That Single, above, Someday/Merry Christmas Darling
    was included as a bonus-45 in one of the Japanese LP Compilations.
    It was not a stand-alone product.

2. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Thanks Gary for clarifying that info I was not aware of....see the Q-9 reference at the bottom....I'm not sure what that stands for.
    This 45 was not included in the Japan Single Box Set as a standard 45 issue so like Gary mentioned it must have been a one off pressing. I'd say this is pretty exclusive to own.

3. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator

Extremely rare acetate - label penned by Karen nonetheless...

IMG_6849.JPG

4. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    WOW...would it be too much to ask what year it was recorded? :wink:

5. It looks like "Won't you play a simple melody" that was recorded and originally part of their second Christmas special but eventually cut. Richard listed it as one of the possible tracks for "As Time Goes By" but it never made it on.

Don Malcolm and A&M Retro like this.
  6. A&M Retro

A&M Retro Well-Known Member

Wow, Chris! Beyond cool. How does it sound? Is the acetate at 33 or 45 speed? I totally recognize Karen’s handwriting. Wish I had a photo of this when I did the Carpenters montage. :)

I was digging through some old articles on Carpenters and came across a blurb about the 1978 ‘Christmas Portrait’ TV special. It listed the songs to be performed on the special, and ‘Play A Simple Melody’ was indeed listed. Obviously, it was cut at the last minute. That means there’s video of this song in the vaults, as well.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  7. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

WOW! @Chris May that's got to be up there with the holy grail solo Magic Lamp single. Even more rare if anything, because that has at least already been released commercially on the box set. Nobody I know of has ever heard this track.

I'm guessing this was gifted to you directly by Richard. Do you know how many copies exist?

In the short clip of Agnes and Harold on the Christmas special, I always thought Agnes looked extremely nervous. I wonder what the footage is like of them performing this, if it still exists? Would Agnes and Harold have mimed to playback like their offspring did? I wonder.

Misael Castillo Lopez likes this.
  8. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

Would love to hear what's on that acetate!

9. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

As with the 45-Someday/Merry Christmas Darling (Japan pressing, Q-9)
    there is one other (which, I do own):
    Goodbye To Love/Baby It's You (p. 1973)
    #Q-20.....from a Japanese Compilation LP (#SP-3531).

10. Mr. Chris give us a gift and let us know what's on that vinyl ....:wiggle:

Mr. Harry, you know what compilation comes 45-Someday / Merry Christmas Darling (Japan pressing, Q-9), I know you have the carpenters encyclopedia :), I only buy this vinyl from a Japanese seller ... and of course GaryAlan (Goodbye To Love / Baby It's You (p.73)) comes from this compilation of Gem.
    [​IMG]

11. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

As cool as that acetate would (and should) sound, I would understand any hesitation in "releasing" it here. First perhaps out of respect for Richard. Secondly, it would probably end up on YouTube in some way, shape, or form, as evidenced in times past.

Maybe he can play it at the 50th anniversary get-together... :righton:

12. Other rare items that I have bought are these Japanese promotional posters :):)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carpe diem and newvillefan like this.
  13. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I’ve never thought to look the song up but here’s a nice version I found. I wonder if Richard and Harold followed the counter vocal technique that’s on this version, while Karen and Agnes sang the melody :). I could imagine them having some fun with this track.

Don Malcolm likes this.
  14. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I listened to the same video after Chris' post. I think it was Richard that said Agnes had a nice alto tone. Maybe one day we'll hear it on a next boxed set.

15. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    If that's the case I'm booking a flight straight away!! Lol

newvillefan likes this.
  16. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR Active Member Thread Starter

U.K
    bought this from the states yesterday, haven't seen this before.
    you gotta love 70`s fashion :)

[​IMG]

Carpe diem and newvillefan like this.
  17. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

I remember in a radio interview that Hal Blaine mentioned the first time he met the duo they were wearing western-type matching outfits (not his exact words). This could possibly be it.

18. Harry

Would have been a good cover for "And When He Smiles."

19. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    :laugh::laugh:

20. It was a bonus that came with the double LP "Gem Of". The free single was "Someday/Merry Christmas Darling"

21. Harry

So in the case of these extra bonus 45s, they can't really count as a "single" release. They are merely special pressings of 45s included as a bonus.

22. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    I learned something new, didn’t know about these rare 45 pressings inside these LP’s. The Japanese really go all out don’t they? Can’t wait to see what they have in store for the 50th celebration.

23. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    had this arrive from Japan yesterday, `CLOSE TO YOU`.
    beautiful condition, different rear cover AND his smiling :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don Malcolm, Jeff and newvillefan like this.
  24. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    Bought this album off Ebay, which I actually have already, but you guys will notice a poster with it and that`s the only reason I`ve bought it, anyone know if this actually came with this album, was it available somewhere else or what the score is with it please, because this album I have already, didn't come with one?

[​IMG]