1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

RARE / INTERESTING STUFF.

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR, Dec 30, 2017.

1. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

The prices are as they are in some cases because they know they'll find suckers who will pay them. Shame but it's true.

Ed

2. leadmister

leadmister Well-Known Member

This. People who aren't desperate to sell stuff like this will put a higher price tag on it and just wait. They will take what should be about a $10 market price and bump it to $15 or $20 being greedy, hoping that sentiment will make it worth the extra cash. But two can play that game. If they can be patient, so can we.

CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR likes this.
  3. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

Ah, but that's just it. "We" are not patient. And by "we", I refer to any fan group or devotee of any subject. We have seen in other threads that there are those among us willing to spend whatever anyone wants to charge for certain items, if they have an affinity for that particular item.

So, just because an item has gone out of print temporarily, they jack up the prices to cover other costs or losses.

4. leadmister

Yep, someone will always bite eventually as supplies become less available. I've seen the cycle with the Offering LP. When there are plenty available for sale, they go for $50-$80 apiece for VG-VG+, but when there are only one or two floating around, they go up to $200-$300. In the case of older albums like this, I can't see how it is worth having it right now to pay all that extra money. With new stuff, I totally get it, because it's never been seen or heard before. I don't know. I guess it depends on the item and the buyer. I tend to be too rigid to pay more for something than I think it's worth, mainly because my stubborn desire to deny them the satisfaction of milking me often outweighs my desire to own that piece of memorabilia. But that's just me.

5. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR Well-Known Member Thread Starter

U.K
    me too and the reason I don`t own the 30th and 40th anniversary box-set`, just crazy, ridiculous prices.
    I don`t mind paying my fair share, but won`t be taken for a fool (and his money).

leadmister likes this.
  6. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    just bought this off Ebay, but seller states `unknown country of origin`
    anyone any ideas please?

[​IMG]

leadmister likes this.
  7. leadmister

Damn nice find. Can we see some more pictures? What does the other side of the sleeve look like? How about that little white logo up at the top left? My first guess would be an Indonesian bootleg. There was a record company there called Contessa Records and they were known for putting together albums like this that looked like the regular deal but had a bunch of hits shoehorned in among the regular album tracks. They were put out of business in 1988 after being nailed for multiple copyright infringement issues.

8. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    interesting!
    there is a photo of the album with it, but it`s no different than the one above, so that`s pretty much it till I get it.
    £15 delivered, what you think?

leadmister likes this.
  9. leadmister

I think you scored!

10. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    i`m curious, because if these albums are `bootlegs`, is there any real value to them, because by rights, they should never have been released in the first place!

leadmister likes this.
  11. leadmister

Well, bootleg CD's and DVD's are a dime a dozen but bootleg LP's, on the other hand, are pretty rare today, especially one like this. Value depends on what you look at. Money wise, it's worth what you paid for it. The coolness factor is off the charts though. How many Carpenters fans have something like this? Not many at all.

12. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    Which is what it`s all about really, not the money, but at the same time, I don`t want to throw it away :)

leadmister likes this.
  13. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

I didn’t realize that the Carpenters recorded “Goodeye to Love”! But I wonder what the Oldies medley sounds like, being cutoff after ‘Da Doo Ron Ron’.

14. Jamesj75

Jamesj75 Well-Known Member

Good eye, tomswift2002!

15. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    Good eye indeed, I never spotted that :)

16. ThaFunkyFakeTation

Looks like a boot to me. "It's Going to Take Sometime"? "Goodeye to Love"? "Hurtin' Each Other"? It appears you've been taken.

Ed

leadmister likes this.
  17. leadmister

You know you've got a winner though when the YOM Reprise is listed as Yesterday Twice More.:rotf:

Jamesj75 and newvillefan like this.
  18. John Tkacik

John Tkacik Active Member

But who can forget their other great hit : "We've Only Just Begin"

19. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    Not really, I`ve cancelled the order :)

20. Jamesj75

Jamesj75 Well-Known Member

On a related matter, about 10 years ago, a friend gifted me with a Horizon album signed by both Richard and Karen, quite an impressive gift for a Carpenters' fan, and my favorite album to boot (requisite pun to follow...). Could this be a "bootleg?" Faked signatures? I've never bothered to ascertain its authenticity. I am happier to proudly display this album in blissful ignorance (a trait that 23andMe suggests I am likely to have). :)

21. CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR

U.K
    why spoil the dream :)
    I was a little annoyed actually, after he cancelled and refunded, because as a dealer, he should know better really, but even after that, he`s just relisted it :)
    ok, as a fan and collector, I guess I should know, but I can`t know everything!

Jamesj75 likes this.
  22. ThaFunkyFakeTation

Whew! I hate to see people get taken by crooked ebay-ers. Glad you aren't one of them.

Ed

Jamesj75 likes this.
  23. ThaFunkyFakeTation

I have to admit, though, that I'd be kind of be interested in a song called "Good Eye to Love". Sounds like a country lyric waiting to be written.

Ed

Jamesj75 likes this.
  24. ThaFunkyFakeTation

Didn't even catch that. LOL!!

Ed