Rare KC interview

I found this podcast called "Famous lost words" which features rare interviews of a variety of celebrities.
In one particular interview they play a snippet of an interview I had never heard before with Karen talking about "Top of the world" and a funny incident on stage.
It starts at 35:55.
The hosts are quite annoying and have that "I am too cool to like the Carpenters" mentality 🙄, but the interview itself is quite funny and it is such a treat to hear KC laughing and talking😊.
Enjoy!!

Enjoyable tales from KC...

The one guy says he never realized that Karen had a great sense of humor...well, apparently neither one of them realizes what a truly extraordinary singer she was and what a beautiful voice she had, since they could only mention one song where she sounded
fairly good ("Superstar") - are these guys supposed to be "authorities" of some sort or other? They have some serious homework to do...

It seemed though, that one of the guys was actually secretly fond of the Carpenters music but was kind of laughing it of when he realised that the other one was just making fun of it... It's quite sad...

While i was in high school in my senior year i got a couple of my friends into the carpenters. Some other friends would ask me why are you into their music and so on. I played superstar for them one of them started balling his eyes out because the music got to him.

This is great to hear, thanks for sharing this find. I wonder where Karen's comments originated? What interview(s)?

As for the attitude of the hosts, it's just the typical snooty stuff you'd expect.

While i was in high school in my senior year i got a couple of my friends into the carpenters. Some other friends would ask me why are you into their music and so on. I played superstar for them one of them started balling his eyes out because the music got to him.
Yes, I understand his reaction - it's perfectly normal and natural, which is to say, expected - hell, I know some cantankerous, grumpy old men who get a little "teary-eyed" listening to Karen sing (not anyone I would see in the mirror though...), and it's not just about the content of the lyrics or the aura of the music - I've come to the conclusion that it's more than just an emotional reaction - there's something fundamental about the very nature of the tonal quality of her voice that physically connects with the essence of our being, and in the process resonates within us and soothes our soul...

Now, this is about as religious as I get...

I’ll never get why so many people think that the Beatles’ Ticket to Ride was so spectacular. The C’s version (the 73 cut) is EONS better. That one guy sounds like one of those music snobs who thinks the Beatles never did any wrong and that no cover could ever improve upon their original. The B’s became so much better in the second half of their career’s. TTR, Help...so much more innovative in the hands of the C’s.

The B’s became so much better in the second half of their career’s. TTR, Help...so much more innovative in the hands of the C’s.
I can picture the Beatles sitting around listening to the Carpenter's version of TICKET TO RIDE and saying something like: "Bloody hell, what a super arrangement by that Richard Carpenter block...why didn't we think of that? And his sister's voice! Good God and the Queen Almighty, that girl can sing! Holy crap, they make us sound like a third rate amateur punk garage band."

Well, Ok, I know - but I'll bet it's not too far off...

I can picture the Beatles sitting around listening to the Carpenter's version of TICKET TO RIDE and saying something like: "Bloody hell, what a super arrangement by that Richard Carpenter block...why didn't we think of that? And his sister's voice! Good God and the Queen Almighty, that girl can sing! Holy crap, they make us sound like a third rate amateur punk garage band."

I heard (or read) that one of the Beatles, John Lennon, I think, stated that out of all the "covers" done of Beatles songs, Carpenters Ticket To Ride was the best.

I hope they came to their senses and bowed down for the duo for bringing out the magic that was buried in the song.

From an otherwise generally bad (in my opinion, factual accuracy issues) article about Karen and the Carpenters from NPR (American):

Paul McCartney, for one, said that she has "the best female voice in the world: melodic, tuneful and distinctive."

And of course everyone's heard the John Lennon encounter story, where he mentions to Karen that she has "a most fabulous voice."

Well, I skimmed through this podcast and I couldn’t find the Karen mention. Does anybody know where it starts? I went to 35.55 and they were interviewing Rod Stewart.

I thought it was rather cute. I don’t think it was meant to insult but to wrap up the segment with light humor almost as ‘tongue and cheek’ in ahumanistic fashion as if wrapping up a nightly news segment. It lightly showed the opposite sides that the period represented but not in an insulting fashion. One took the side of praise and the other took a ‘who knew, cause’ mixed with typical cynicism on a light side kinda like the quote. Lynn Anderson was mentioned during a not praise like example but nothing factual knocking her. They simply in a light fashion showed the typical sides of opinions in the 70’s with reflections of praise all going to Karen. Even the cynic side had to admit the product was not all that bad while the other held her and her product in very high favor and the other taking the position of well, I don’t know if I’d go that far, but what a character with a great sense of humor was the agreed connection of someone famous enough that still gets adoration and their public would recognize and relate to. After all, it presented a likes me funny segment, in relatable topic, to end the show and in 1973-74 was the most recognized voice in the world which gave the section its platform. On a side note, she snd Casey Casem reportably had a great respect for each other which the segment left out that nice to know but not need to know information relatable to the clip. The focus was image, with only artists from the talented side of life, and relatability to the topic on the lighter side. Well, I’ve rambled enough. - just thought it was cute. I don’t think it was meant offensively at all, just a way to make the clip more credit worthy. Plus, I think I heard that clip back in the day. Maybe in some countdown of the day.

Well, I skimmed through this podcast and I couldn’t find the Karen mention. Does anybody know where it starts? I went to 35.55 and they were interviewing Rod Stewart.

I had the same problem. It's at the end of the podcast. Go back about five minutes from the end and you should find it.

I thought it was rather cute. I don’t think it was meant to insult but to wrap up the segment with light humor almost as ‘tongue and cheek’ in ahumanistic fashion as if wrapping up a nightly news segment. It lightly showed the opposite sides that the period represented but not in an insulting fashion. One took the side of praise and the other took a ‘who knew, cause’ mixed with typical cynicism on a light side kinda like the quote. Lynn Anderson was mentioned during a not praise like example but nothing factual knocking her. They simply in a light fashion showed the typical sides of opinions in the 70’s with reflections of praise all going to Karen. Even the cynic side had to admit the product was not all that bad while the other held her and her product in very high favor and the other taking the position of well, I don’t know if I’d go that far, but what a character with a great sense of humor was the agreed connection of someone famous enough that still gets adoration and their public would recognize and relate to. After all, it presented a likes me funny segment, in relatable topic, to end the show and in 1973-74 was the most recognized voice in the world which gave the section its platform. On a side note, she snd Casey Casem reportably had a great respect for each other which the segment left out that nice to know but not need to know information relatable to the clip. The focus was image, with only artists from the talented side of life, and relatability to the topic on the lighter side. Well, I’ve rambled enough. - just thought it was cute. I don’t think it was meant offensively at all, just a way to make the clip more credit worthy. Plus, I think I heard that clip back in the day. Maybe in some countdown of the day.
Karen and Casey lived in the same complex.

Back
Top Bottom