RAREST A&M RELEASES FROM THE FIRST ERA

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by S.J. Hoover, Jun 30, 2018.

1. S.J. Hoover

S.J. Hoover Member Thread Starter

1. George McCurn STEREO SLP-102: Country Boy Goes To Town
    (they'd all be cut-out bin remainder stock more than the mono version was)[​IMG]
    2. Dave Lewis STEREO SP-105: Little Green Thing[​IMG]
    3. Herb LP-101: mono The Lonely Bull (WITH "12 O'CLOCK" LOGO ON TAN LABEL)[​IMG]
    4. "THE BEST OF HERB AND THE TJB: DEE-JAY SAMPLER" MONO 9004 (a *lot* of the front covers may actually have "stereo" printed on them; however; the BACK COVER -at least from a Canadian copy I've seen- will indicate mono as well as: the disc will contain the 45 mixes from 1962-1968)[​IMG]

2. S.J. Hoover

5. Herb/TJB mono LP-146: The Beat of The Brass (the last commercially-released, mono-counterpart-ed album in the A&M catalog...discontinued, presumably?, sometime in mid-Summer '68?; after the batch of mono pressings would've ended)[​IMG]

3. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

From my experience, this is another very rare LP. It's a mono-for-AM radio version of SOLID BRASS that contains the rare 45 compressed version of "Without Her". I've only ever seen one reference to it by someone on Discogs who didn't own it, and I haven't added it to Discogs yet.
    SolidBrassAMSticker.jpg SolidBrassMono1.jpg

4. S.J. Hoover

I was mainly focusing on what would've been readily available. Though, I did not realize there was another mono TJB promo made after Christmas Album.

5. Harry

DEE JAY SAMPLER was not "readily available" and is of the same promotional type as SOLID BRASS.

Meanwhile, in that same category one can find, with diligent searches, a mono promo for CHRISTMAS ALBUM, SUMMERTIME, and YOU SMILE THE SONG BEGINS.

6. S.J. Hoover

anyhow, continuing...

6. Spirits and Worm SP-4229: Spirits and Worm[​IMG]
    7. Junior's Eyes SP-4189: Junior's Eyes[​IMG]
    8. Steve Young SP-4177: Rock Salt and Nails[​IMG]
    9. The Carpenters' SP-4205 (ORIGINAL TITLE): "Offering"
    (withdrawn shortly after 10/69 release when accompanying singles failed to get much charting action...repackaged a year later when the duo caught fire as the common issue "TICKET TO RIDE")[​IMG]

7. S.J. Hoover

(Last) 10. Mort Garson electronica SP-4156: The Wozard of Iz[​IMG]

8. LPJim

LPJim Well-Known Member Moderator

Always a pleasure to see these sleeves and relive the memory of tracking down rare A&M items. In the pre-internet era it was a process of scanning catalogs and magazines, especially "Goldmine" and "Discoveries," through numerous auctions, classified ads and trading "want lists" by mail.

The McCurn and Lewis albums were 'rare' in my neck of the woods but easier to find elsewhere because of distribution patterns. Lewis was popular in the Pacific Northwest, for example.

Local record

stores had gigantic Schwann Catalogs on hand to facilitate ordering albums that weren't popular enough to be kept in stock. I remember locating WOZARD OF IZ that way, along with Melvin Van Peebles' albums which I don't even recall seeing on the shelf in college towns.

Obtained an original SPIRITS AND WORM through a New Jersey collector who got my want list from a 'friend of a friend.' Learned this album had limited distribution in the NYC area. Only a few copies were sold before it was pulled off the shelves because of the "satanic" front cover art. Musically it's similar to Jefferson Airplane, with innocuous love songs and nothing remotely occult.

The late Steve Young, best known for writing "Seven Bridges Road," played a few shows in local clubs. I was fortunate to catch one of his shows. The album, featuring his own version of what became a hit for the Eagles, was reissued on the U.K. Edsel Demon label in the '80s.

Thanks for a fun late night trip down memory lane.

JB

9. AM Matt

AM Matt Well-Known Member

Let's not forget a group called "Hope" (late 1971 or early 1972) which was produced by Canadian Jack Richardson (Guess Who). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

LPJim likes this.
  10. Moritat

Moritat Member

How about "Wincle Lamoyan Coan" by Baja? Does anyone know where I can hear this rare tune?

Charles H. likes this.
  11. Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty Well-Known Member

A&M had one of the most aggressive catalog cut-out policies in the business at the time. If an album didn't sell well in six months, it was gone. Most likely necessary in the early days to get some cash, rather than none, for stock that didn't move.

Steven J. Gross and Bobberman like this.
  12. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

I remember in my early days in the biz, trying to order the "Wozard of Iz" album because I was just curious about it. I think I saw it listed in one of those "brochure" type catalogs that they would put out. Never could get it, it was probably cut-out before I even heard of it.

13. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Let's not forget The Canadian Sweethearts album SP/LP 106 and Lucille Starr's solo A&M classic The French Song SP/LP 107 those two albums were also cut out Rarities too

14. Harry

In 20-odd years of A&M Corner, I've yet to see a scan of one of those "Write for a free" catalogs.

15. Steve Sidoruk

Steve Sidoruk Founder, A&M Fan Net Moderator

Well, Canadian Sweethearts was quite rare, but The French Song was available on CD in Canada (with bonus tracks) for the longest time.

Bobberman likes this.
  16. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

I got one once from our music distributor. I don't know if it was the same as the "write-in-for" catalogs or not. As I remember, the one I got was a 3 or 4-fold brochure with popular albums pictured, along with a list of catalog titles (not a comprehensive list, just the current front-line stuff). Nothing too fancy. I'm sure that's where I saw the Wozard of Iz title. If I ever find it I'll be sure to scan it!

17. Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty Well-Known Member

I sent in for three of them in '67 and '68. Never showed up.

18. Bobberman

I tried to order that CD but in 2009 when it was listed as available but it was on back order and after 6 months I cancelled it because I got tired of waiting and having it cancelled and reordering it thankfully I found it digitally for downloading and then ripped it on to CD myself I really enjoyed hearing the whole French Song album. It's a true A&M classic from the earliest era

19. LPJim

LPJim Well-Known Member Moderator

Bobberman likes this.
  20. Steve Sidoruk

Steve Sidoruk Founder, A&M Fan Net Moderator

21. Bobberman

That needs to be reissued ( if the master still exists of course) a digital download would be sufficient

22. Bobberman

If the master still exists as I mentioned about the Canadian Sweethearts LP this should be reissued too again even just a digital download would be sufficient

23. Harry

I have the Canadian Quality Records/A&M version of the CANADIAN SWEETHEARTS SP 4106 album, and the CD of THE FRENCH SONG.

Bobberman likes this.
  24. Bobberman

You are one lucky Fellow my friend

25. Harry

My copy of CANADIAN SWEETHEARTS is different from Steve's. It doesn't have the "STEREO..STEREO" across the top and the A&M logo is top right. It says Quality Records and was manufactured by Quality Records but has a classic A&M ochre label. It's unlike anything on Discogs.

Bobberman likes this.