Rarest Carpenters Physical Single

I can't believe out of all of the collectors on this forum we don't have this 45 of the full version of Canta. Ok, let's make it our Carpenters mission to hunt this 45 down (at all costs lol) and let's get a clean copy so we can preserve this in our collection for everyone. :)

I bet Richard has this original 45 in his collection and it's a CLEAN copy. :laugh:

Here is the link to what it looked like when released in Mexico
Carpenters - Canta (Version En Español) = Sing (Spanish Version)

R-11352152-1514843223-5994.jpeg.jpg

R-11352152-1514843235-7614.jpeg.jpg

So maybe we already talked about it but since there is a full Spanish version pressed to vinyl, there has to be a master of this on tape or am I wrong?

It's clear that when presented on FROM THE TOP, "Canta" was edited to substitute the English line. You can almost hear the splices. It was intentional that that one line be removed - twice. The question is "why?"

The label is different on this one to the one posted above and doesn’t specify if the song is actually sung in Spanish. Sometimes Spanish territories translate the title of singles for the sleeve when it’s actually just the English language version on the recording. In the YouTube video above, the label actually specifies “Version en espanol” or “Spanish version”.
Although one interesting thing with this label is that it’s apparently a 7-inch 33 not a 45.

It's clear that when presented on FROM THE TOP, "Canta" was edited to substitute the English line. You can almost hear the splices. It was intentional that that one line be removed - twice. The question is "why?"
Could it be that this persons turntable is not that wonky and the vinyl was pressed at the incorrect speed?

It’s also interesting that they had to indicate on the sleeve Grabado in the USA. Grabado in Spanish is “Recorded” so people were not confused in thinking this was recorded in Mexico.

I have a 45 vinyl from
Madrid.
Canta, time 3:20, #HS-916
b/w Druscilla Penny.

It is English-language version.

You know it seems like in South America, the 45 speed might not have been as popular as the 33 speed on a 7-inch record, since the “Druscilla Penny” single from Argentina/Paraguay was also mastered at 33rpm’s.

Anyway, I just came across another rare Carpenters single in my collection that I had forgot about, “Calling Your Name Again/In Love Alone” from Australia.

I think Karen’s overdubs for the vocal arrangement are some of the finest and most stunningly ambitious she ever committed to tape.

Technically it's very accomplished but emotionally it's very bland and it doesn't have the thrill of say, RWLTAN which is much more fun. IIHY sounds like a rough demo, minus the intricate overdubs.

i was just thinking about what the rarest Carpenters singles are. Like what would be the Top 5 rarest singles in the world?

I’m thinking probably:

Druscilla Penny/Sometimes 45
“If I Had You/The Uninvited Guest” cassette single
“If I Had You/Lovelines” 45
Do You Hear What I Hear?/Little Altar Boy
Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Canadian Stereo/Mono 45

Was "Do You Hear What I Hear/ Little Altar Boy" available for sale to the public or was it only a promo record sent out to radio stations?

I was lucky enough to find that promo of ‘Little Altar Boy/Do You Hear What I Hear’ around 1986 or thereabouts. Pre-eBay for sure. :) I think it was in Goldmine. Still have it. Wish I’d bought more than one now.

I was just wondering but in Spanish countries were any copies of “Now & Then” released with the Spanish ‘Canta’ instead of the English ‘Sing’? I’ve never heard of one, but...

Yes, Rick, I would consider
Little Altar Boy/Do You Hear What I Hear
as very rare. I've been searching forever to secure a copy !
Also, there is a promo for JP Treasures, Picture Sleeve of
Slow Dance.... I would love to have:
CARPENTERS `SLOW DANCE` A&M RECORDS PR-107

See here (apologies to the owner of the site for linking):
carpenters-collector.weebly.com/japanese-stuff.html

I can't believe out of all of the collectors on this forum we don't have this 45 of the full version of Canta. Ok, let's make it our Carpenters mission to hunt this 45 down (at all costs lol) and let's get a clean copy so we can preserve this in our collection for everyone. :)

I bet Richard has this original 45 in his collection and it's a CLEAN copy. :laugh:

I have a perfect copy here, which I had to get from brazil. can`t remember what I paid.

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: THIS IS THE SAME AS THE FROM THE TOP VERSION]

Last edited:
I know that they are not "singles" but I wonder how many of the Your Navy Presents LPs with the Carpenters were distributed to radio stations across the country in 1970? Radio stations were (and maybe still are) required to air a certain amount of PSA/educational broadcasting.

I'm VERY lucky enough to own a mint copy of the Mexican release of Sing (Canta) with the Spanish lyric...

I didn't know until recently that it's a bit different to the "From The Top" release, as there's no English sung in the second half of the original version.

Anyway, my record player has a USB recording option so I've recorded it and cleaned it up as best I can...

(I've just noticed, for some reason, that if you play it directly it cuts off the first second of the song, but if you download it, then it's complete!)

Billy, from the sound of it, the single is in mono, is that correct?

Given the rarity, it would be wonderful if you could do it at a higher bitrate mp3 like 320 kbps, or even a full-out wav file.

In one of the Japanese concerts, Karen said that they sang sing in Chinese in San Francisco. Is there a bootleg live recording of “sing” in any other language?

Back
Top Bottom