Rarest Carpenters Physical Single

I'm VERY lucky enough to own a mint copy of the Mexican release of Sing (Canta) with the Spanish lyric...

I didn't know until recently that it's a bit different to the "From The Top" release, as there's no English sung in the second half of the original version.

Anyway, my record player has a USB recording option so I've recorded it and cleaned it up as best I can...

(I've just noticed, for some reason, that if you play it directly it cuts off the first second of the song, but if you download it, then it's complete!)

All these years later, to hear Karen sing a new line, still brings me to tears . Thank you and I love this forum!

Billy, from the sound of it, the single is in mono, is that correct?

Given the rarity, it would be wonderful if you could do it at a higher bitrate mp3 like 320 kbps, or even a full-out wav file.

I can't see anything on the cover or label that says it's in mono... If I open it in GoldWave then it's on 2 channels, so I assume that's stereo?

Anyway, here's a link to the wav file...

If I understand the way singles were manufactured in Mexico, and based on the files you've posted, I'd say it's mono. You'll always get two channels in software, but they should both be largely equal.

What's interesting is that the track that was put on FROM THE TOP is in stereo. I still don't understand the fly-in of English on that one, so I guess it will remain one of the many Carpenters mysteries.

Anyway, thanks for the uploads. They're both way better than the old YouTube posting.

It sounds great, thanks for sharing Billy!

Is there a way to download the song? All that shows up for me is an embedded player, but not the link to the wav file.

Last edited:
Hover over his attachment and you'll see another box appear in the upper right. Click that to get to his Google Drive area where the file is housed. In the upper right of THAT screen is a download arrow.

What about one of the Richard solo singles? There was a song that got quite a bit of airplay on my local radio station after ‘Time’ was released - ‘Calling Your Name Again’ - ‘I’m Still Not Over You’ - I can’t remember which one, now. I know CYNA was a single in some territories - maybe ISNOY might have been, too.

Harry posted pics of my promo of it single last month along with a few others on another thread here.

Karen’s pronunciation of that line is slightly clipped to fit in all the syllables. So it becomes “cant’ una cancíon”.
Right! I was just writing it out, assuming this is what Harry was referring to?!?

Isn’t it “Canta, canta una canción?”
The whole song sounds pretty terrible. I still love it because it is Karen, singing in my native language. But even though the pronunciation is not that great, I feel the biggest error of that recording was the literal translation they did of the lyrics. The words do not match the journey of the song. I am just a fan, and I don't know how to express the technical music term for this, but it does not sound natural.

Now if you ask me, the Japanese version sounds awesome. Maybe our Japanese fellow fans have different thoughts.

If there are any Abba fans here, they did great Spanish versions of several of their songs, and their pronunciation was surprisingly on point.

The line that was replaced by English is:

No te preocupes que no sea tan buena
Para que otros la oigan

I wondered if there was something wrong about that line and that's why Richard flew in the English lead.

Para que otros la oigan

I wondered if there was something wrong about that line and that's why Richard flew in the English lead.
Grammatically - as written - it is correct. It does sound bad with the timing/music, even if a native speaker tries to put so many words in those few seconds.

Para que otros la oigan

"Qué importa si no es tan buena para todos los demás" would probably had been a shorter way to say it and maybe fit better. Of course there are many other options. That is the first thing that came to my mind (It doesn't matter if that it's not good enough for everybody else"

If there are any Abba fans here, they did great Spanish versions of several of their songs, and their pronunciation was surprisingly on point.

The Spanish translated lyric of ‘Sing’ is terrible and left Karen with a mouthful of clunky lyrics to try and get into every line. Buddy and Mary McCluskey were drafted in to handle the translations on ABBA’s 1980 Spanish album ‘Gracias Por La Música’ and did a fine job, with vocal coaching by Spanish journalist Ana Martinez del Valle on the pronunciation. I’m guessing Karen had no such help. I wonder who was responsible for the translation of ‘Sing’? (Let’s hope it wasn’t the McCluskeys :laugh:).

A little known fact is that Benny and Bjorn didn’t contribute a single vocal to the recording of the Spanish album. Wherever male vocals were required, the girls covered these themselves, a testament to their amazing abilities. From Carl Magnus Palm’s ‘Bright Lights, Dark Shadows’:

Björn and Benny were not too keen on the project, but said that if Agnetha and Frida were prepared to re-record all their vocals, and Michael [Tretow] was willing to produce it, they had no objections […] “I must admit that I have never ever listened to the Spanish album, except to OK it when it was finished,” Benny said later.

Last edited:
Grammatically - as written - it is correct. It does sound bad with the timing/music, even if a native speaker tries to put so many words in those few seconds.
I wondered if Karen pronounced all of the words correctly enough - or made some sort of error. I guess we'll never find out why it was replaced on FROM THE TOP.

I wondered if Karen pronounced all of the words correctly enough - or made some sort of error. I guess we'll never find out why it was replaced on FROM THE TOP.
You can't cut the word "preocupes" the way she did (for sake of the melody). Or put an accent to the PREocupes word at the beginning. The word has an "invisible" accent in a different part : preoCUpes.

Back
Top Bottom