Rarest CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
What's the rarest CDs people have in their collections?

Mine have to be:

Ave Maria/Merry Chritmas Darling - 3" CD single with p/s (so cute!)
I Need To Be In Love - 3" CD single in digipak
Yesterday Once More - 3" CD single in digipak
Rainbow Connection - CD single
Anthology - Japanese 4 CD set

Not exactly as rare as a magic lamp single but still my prize possessions!!

Any others?

The real rarities in the Carpenters' CD catalog are those which contain material found no where else. Most CD singles are somewhat rare, but only in that they weren't released in many parts of the world. I don't really consider ANTHOLOGY to be rare, since it's still in print and easily obtainable (although the version with the original red cover is certainly a lot more scarce than the newer version with a photograph on the cover).

The 1984 German CD version of CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT is probably the rarest CD in my collection. It's the only place you can get the complete original 1978 vinyl mix of the album on CD.

I'd consider the Japanese ORIGINAL MASTER KARAOKE to be a rarity as well, although it's not quite as rare as the German Christmas CD. It is out-of-print, though, and was only issued in Japan.

The 12-disc Japanese collection with the mini paper sleeves (with the original OFFERING cover) is a true rarity. Individually these CDs aren't all that rare, but the complete box is very hard to find.

As far as the United States is concerned, the only real rarity here is the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs version of A SONG FOR YOU.

Richard Carpenter's first solo album, TIME, is also something I would categorize as a rarity.
In the "medium" rarity category are a couple of compilation CDs that were issued in the 1980s and are long out-of-print. They're not REALLY rare, though, since there isn't any material on those CDs that you can't get elsewhere. An early compilation CD from Germany was called THE CARPENTERS COLLECTION: THEIR GREATEST HITS, and it's pretty hard to find. The original 1984 British CD version of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE is also one you don't see much -- the American version (with remixes) is far easier to find.

Another CD that has become somewhat scarce very quickly is the "remastered" series version of THE SINGLES: 1969-1973. It was only in print for a short period of time.

The Time-Life collections (the Christmas one and the "best of" one) are fairly rare. So are the British and Australian Reader's Digest compilations, and several Japanese multi-disc sets that were produced in limited editions.

David

>>As far as the United States is concerned, the only real rarity here is the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs version of A SONG FOR YOU.

>>Richard Carpenter's first solo album, TIME, is also something I would categorize as a rarity.

I also have these two in my collection but hadn't considered them rare from a UK point of view. INteresting though....

>I also have these two in my collection but hadn't considered them rare
>from a UK point of view. INteresting though....

Try to find a copy of the MFSL CD or TIME and you'll discover that they're very hard to come by! But I think I'm not really distinguishing between a true rarity and just plain scarcity.

The Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs version of A SONG FOR YOU seems to be a rarity in that it was produced in limited quantities for a specialized audience (those willing to pay more for a high-end CD).

TIME, on the other hand, is more scarce than rare, just because it's been out-of-print for so long. I think it sold a fair number of copies (nothing to compare to a Carpenters' release), but you'd have trouble locating one without paying eBay prices...

Another CD I thought of that has become scarce is the LIVE AT THE PALLADIUM CD. It was easy to obtain a few years ago, but has disappeared from around the world as of late. Again, not really rare, because a lot of copies were sold, but definitely more difficult to find anymore.

David

I have the Rainbow Connection Single Cd but never thought of that being rare.

I also have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs version of A SONG FOR YOU on CD & never considered that rare.

I have the Time Life Xmas Collection but don't think that is rare.

I have the original 12x12 size box of From the Top 4 CD Set I think the box format may be scarce but not the actual set itself.

I really don't think any of my music stuff is rare.

But I think that my VOTH poster of up close Karen is kinda rare especially in the mint condition I found this one to be in.

Some things that might be considered rare are really just out of print and hard to find. It's likely that everyone who ever wanted a copy of SINGLES 1969-1973 already has at least one copy in one format or another. Removing it from being in print makes it harder for a *new* fan to find one, but I don't think anyone would consider it to be valuable.

I have most of what's been mentioned in this thread (except the CD3's) and though I wouldn't part with any of them, I really don't consider them rare. The rarest Carpenters items I have in my collection is the original OFFERING LP, a set of LPs with a radio program featuring Richard Carpenter, and some home-taped concerts that I myself made of two different appearances in Philadelphia.

Harry
...medium rare, online...

Since we brought up the SINGLES 1969-1973 Cd up again.

I don't have the original Cd or the Re-Mastered CD that came out & is now out of print.

But....I do have the original LP SINGLES 1969-1973 in great condition. I plan to burn the original LP to CD & make my own CDR. If I did this would I "really" be missing anything by not getting the Re-Mastered SINGLES 1969-1973 CD? My LP sounds pretty amazing considering the age of the LP.

There are no rare Carpenters albums-K&R's whole catalog has been continuously in print for 33 years! All those import titles are just variations of domestic releases,or reshuffled compilations.Even though SINGLES 1969-1973 is out of print,the complete contents of that package is on several other compilations,so it's not a necessary album! If you have all 13 original albums,plus the boxed set,then you have the complete Carpenters catalog.I can't fathom how anyone would want to spend a fortune collecting all those import titles,when they're just carbon copies of everything that's available here!

mr J. said:
I can't fathom how anyone would want to spend a fortune collecting all those import titles,when they're just carbon copies of everything that's available here!

That must be the difference between fans. Some, like our fearless leader Rudy will agree with you and get only the original albums and maybe a rarities collection. Others, like myself and many others feel the need to have everything, and will point out that not all compilations are the same. These tracks have been mixed, remixed, mastered and remastered many times. Hearing those differences makes us happy. It gives us reason and purpose in the 'hunt.'

SINGLES 1969-1973 isn't just the same old thing as the other relaeses, as pointed out in another current thread. There are re-recordings, added tags, added intros and interesting segues that make it special.

And furthermore the whole catalog has NOT been continuously in print for all these years. Case in point, PASSAGE. It went out of print in the late 1990's before it came back in print in the Remastered Classics series. Quite a little black market for it opened up on the earlier iterations of eBay, and people paid up to $70-$80 for it there, if I remember correctly.

And those Remasters aren't just the same old thing as the '80s issues. Nor are they technically the '70s LP masters they're supposed to be since minor tweaking took place on those too.

I can grab almost any compilation CD out of my collection and point out something different or unique about it. It may not be much other than 'this is the first time such-and-such a remix appeared', but that's special - to SOME fans.

Even though my collection is fairly inclusive, there are many variations that I've never gotten. There've been just too many foreign releases, particularly in Asia, for me to try to get absolutely everything. But I've gotten all of the major ones that 'needed to be gotten.' I've also stayed away from bootlegs, just as a principal of the matter.

There are many degrees of fandom. None are right or wrong, they just 'are.' It's whatever makes each of us happy that counts.

Harry
...moderately obsessive, online...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I plan to burn the original LP to CD & make my own CDR. If I did this would I "really" be missing anything by not getting the Re-Mastered SINGLES 1969-1973 CD? My LP sounds pretty amazing considering the age of the LP.

Look at it this way. You have the LP. It sounds great. You'd like to listen to it in the car, in the boombox, ...make it portable. So you burn it to CD. Blanks cost next to nothing - it's just your time and effort that cost anything. Since it's a hobby, go ahead and do it.

Someday, a regular issue copy of SINGLES 1969-1973 on CD will come along, and at that point you can choose to buy it or not.

I say go for it. The LP was the true original of this album, so maybe you'll be ahead of all of us who bought the CDs!

Harry
...thinking more about vinyl these days, online...

Harry said:
That must be the difference between fans. Some, like our fearless leader Rudy will agree with you and get only the original albums and maybe a rarities collection.

For other artists, that's my standard method--if I have all the music, the rest is just packaging. BUT...in the case of someone like Carpenters, you could make a case for buying various CDs just due to the remixes and, like Singles, the way it was programmed and segued. (Which, by the way, I never knew about until Harry pointed it out to me. :) )

There's another side to the obsessions though--anytime a favorite album is remastered on CD, there is always the issue of whether or not the new remaster sounds good or like in recent years, if it is heavily compressed and processed, a new remaster will actually sound worse than older ones. I'll occasionally "obsess" to get better sound. But back to Carpenters, I do prefer the original album mixes by far. I grew up with them--anything else seems like the past has been tampered with.

Probably Rarist Carpenters Items :

Offering Album

From The Navy Radio Special

1989 & 1990 UK Limited Edition Box Sets

Japanese Anthology 1985 Vinyl Set

Japanese Limited Edition Box Sets

This Excludes the Holy Grail :

Karen's 1966 Magic Lamp Single :rolleyes:

Peter

Of the issued items of the Carpenters, I consider what I haven't been able to get to be most rare.

What I do have that I consider scarce (because they are seldom seen or offered) are the picture sleeve for "Honolulu City Lights", the CD single (promo) of "Let Me Be The One", and the CD promo of "If I Had You".

What I consider to be rare that I have sought out for years is the US picture sleeve for "Sweet, Sweet Smile", the single of "Do You Hear What I Hear" and, of course, the famed Magic Lamp single. (And if any of you have any leads on these...)[/u]

Of the issued items of the Carpenters, I consider what I haven't been able to get to be most rare.

What I do have that I consider scarce (because they are seldom seen or offered) are the picture sleeve for "Honolulu City Lights", the CD single (promo) of "Let Me Be The One", and the CD promo of "If I Had You".

What I consider to be rare that I have sought out for years is the US picture sleeve for "Sweet, Sweet Smile", the single of "Do You Hear What I Hear" and, of course, the famed Magic Lamp single. (And if any of you have any leads on these...)

"If I Had You" promo CD single from 1989 is fairly rare
"Little Alter Boy/Do You Hear what I hear?" promo single from 1984 is very rare
"Honolulu City Lights" b/w "I Just Fall In Love again" vinyl 45 w/ picture slleve is very hard to find.

Mine would have to be:

1.) Remastered Classics version of "Singles, 1969-73"
2.) 1994 UK Single of "Tryn' to Get The Feeling Again"/"Sing"
3.) 1985 "Time"-R.C.
4.) "Singles '74-'78" (which may still be available in Canada)
5.) "A Christmas Portrait" German Release
6). "Akiko" album that R.C. produced (assuming that one counts)
7.) Karen Carpenter Solo album, advanced promo release/UK
8.) 3" Close to You/Sing-Japan
9.) 3" I Need To Be In Love/Desperado-Japan
10.) 3" Christmas Song/Winter Wonderland Medley-Japan
11.) "A Song For You" Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab-Gold
12.) "22 Hits of The Carpenters" Gold Plated
13.) 1985 "Yesterday Once More" double CD set/no longer available in
original format

None of this stuff is rare!It's all available on the original albums.Why would anyone want to waste their time looking for these old 45's,when you could just go out and buy the readily available CD's!

mr J. said:
None of this stuff is rare!It's all available on the original albums.Why would anyone want to waste their time looking for these old 45's,when you could just go out and buy the readily available CD's!

So tell me on which CD I can find the original mono mix of "Ticket To Ride", or where I can go to purchase the single mix of "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" on CD?

Please allow those of us who choose to 'waste our time' on collecting to do so. I don't understand why it bothers you so - this is the second time in this thread alone!

Harry
...collecting, online...

Hi All,

Think We Need to Clarify the Thread :confused:

Rare CD's and Rare 45's are exactly that , Limited Edition or Out of Print Releases that Contain Material , Tracks etc NOT found on Carpenters or Solo Catalog Albums / Singles :o

If Like Mr J as a Carpenters Music Lover You Are Happy to Stick to the Studio and Live Releases Only -Fine -BUT There Are Many Other Tracks , Alternate Versions , Edits , Tracks Recorded for OTHER Projects-Not Covered by Catalog Releases / Re-Issues PLUS REMIXES etc That Appeal to Carpenters Fans & Collectors :)

Singles 1969-1973 is not only a Singles / Greatest Hits Record of Those Years , But Also Contains Versions UNAVAILABLE ELSEWHERE.

Likewise , Singles Edits , Rare Picture Sleeves / Art Work Add to Collector's Pleasure Rather Like the Planned 35th Anniversary Japanese Box Set with Mini CD's & Sleeves From Original Album Art Work :)

Rare Sets that Carpenters Fans / Collectors Should Seek Out :

From The Navy 1970 USA Album Release -Only One Track Has
Appeared on From The Top / Essential Collection -Great
Release :)

Japanese Anthology / Reader's Digest Sets with Extended , Live / Studio Bacharach & David Medley Plus other Remixes :)

Radio Albums with Rare Interviews / Live / Alternate Tracks :)

Limited Edition UK / Japanese Box Sets with Rare Versions / Remixes :)

Singles Edits / Mono / Stereo Versions / Remixes :)

There Are Other Carpenters / Solo / Early Projects Material Out There to Seek and Obtain :)

You Can Limit Yourself to the Catalog -BUT THAT IS VERY NARROW -The Joy is Searching Out For Other Collectable Songs / Versions and Enjoying Your Collecting Passions / Interests :D

Peter...Still Searching , Looking Forward to New / Rare Releases:cool:

Hey Harry - I was wondering what a mono mix is? And a stereo mix? What's the difference? I have the Carpenters albums on vinyl (not sure what they are - mono or stereo?) Which one is better?

Amit....apologizing in advance for all the questions....online

amit1234 said:
Hey Harry - I was wondering what a mono mix is? And a stereo mix? What's the difference? I have the Carpenters albums on vinyl (not sure what they are - mono or stereo?) Which one is better?

There's an old thread about the mono mixes here. Basically, these appeared on promo singles since all of the albums were issued in stereo.

Harry
NP: radio at work

I think the rarest CD I have consists of all the Karen Carpenter songs that were left off the solo album. I think it's 'pretty' rare.

Sharon:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom